Paulus

Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, etc

British Rail Staff Association....different name now....but still there on Bestwood road Ian...............

Watched Supermarket Wars: Battle of the High Street on Channel 5 last night. Very interesting. Gem superstore was mentioned as being the first in the country. I remembered the name but not where it was. A google search came up with West Bridgford and I found some photos. https://www.google.co.uk/search?source=univ&tbm=isch&q=gem+supermarket+nottingham&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiH4dSgnZ3qAhWHbsAKHYtJA6IQsAR6BAgKEAE&biw=1920&bih=888

Was this the only Gem in Nottingham? As I lived in Bilborough we never shopped there! The Co-op on Bracebridge or Cockington was the shop of choice for my mum. When I went to Coventry I discovered Sainsburys and now our son has introduced us to Lidl. Times change.

GEM was on the site of the now ASDA but not exactly where Asda is.

Asda rebuilt it all.

Yes it was the only GEM in Notts.

Remember it being built BS., Advertised as the first Hypermarket. It's where Asda is now in West Bridgford. Seem to think it changed names from Gem after Associated Dairies took it over. First time we ever went we were astounded with the size. Didn't know where to go first as it was so big. Now we just take it for granted with these giant shopping complexes, they are so run of the mill. I used to deliver to Co-op on Brace ridge, when I worked at SPD on Glaisdale drive. Don't you think nowadays we are spoilt for choice? But I suppose it does allow price comparison.

• Like 1

Great stuff cliff ton,,,really interesting,,lotsof names i had forgotten.....

I've borrowed this from the FB Group 'Nottingham from the Owd Days'. Apparently it's Skinner & Rook who were on Long Row, and it looks very much like an early version of Ben.

sZ5AZX2.jpg

• Like 1

This one doesn't seem to have been mentioned before. Marsdens on Alfreton Road.....and the same scene today (although the ugly office block is now demolished).

U2ohNYP.jpg

• Like 1

Did our training for Decimalisation in feb 1971,,,in the upstairs room of this store......i was sent round many of the stores to help old ladies and their Conversion to the new money....loved making the old ladies ''TITTER'''',,,,,,,,,,,'Morning mi duck ,have a seat .gimmi a shilling for 5 pence.....''' that usually started the banter,,,had lots of laughs with em  ...really enjoyed putting them at ease,,,,,

The shop next to the bank on the corner (last 2 bay windows at first floor level) used to be a high class gents outfitters. A girl who lived near to me worked in the accounts department there after leaving school.  Many of those shops had beautiful fascias years ago. Very sad to see what they have now become.

JUST dawned on me,,,all i said about the Marsdens was true,,,except it was Farrands across the road a bit higher up...,,,,just a matter of no interest at all,,,,,,,,my ex girlfriend Katrina's aunt and Uncle lived in the flat above the bank....lol.

My great aunt Emily Ward of Garden Street did her banking at the branch on that corner. It was only a few minutes' walk from number 4.  I can't remember which bank it was in those days but it doesn't exist now.

I think it may have been Provincial Bank in those days, CT. We're talking prior to 1965.

Just for info little sis,  the bank at top of Boden Street was Lloyds, if you look at the top of the corner fascia, on CTs last picture you will see the name carved into the sandstone. Just trying to help.

The picture triggers a few memories for me, the demolished office block used to have jam sessions in the basement late eighties, wasn't there a car dealership facing?

Roughly where photo was taken there was a Sony shop.

Going back a little earlier..recall a shop that had metal detectors in the window roughly on the corner..over photographers shoulder.

Think I've got this location correct, the road that ran horizontally across had a medal.. Militaria shop, the owner was was super helpful to me..a  12 year old enthusiast!

• Like 1

I've tweaked the link to the map. If you click on it now it automatically points upwards to show the Lloyds as BK mentioned.

2 hours ago, HSR said:

The picture triggers a few memories for me, the demolished office block used to have jam sessions in the basement late eighties, wasn't there a car dealership facing ?

Something connected with traffic; cars or maybe motorbikes, or car spares.

An incredible level of fuzziness Cliffton..;)

I am now wondering..if the fuzziness is all mine!

Does anybody recall that Militaria shop??

Coming down Boden Street on same side as the bank, about four shops down there used to be a lovely bakers, who baked their own bread at the back. I went to school with a young lad who lived there. I think the shop was Hurds. We spent many happy hours in the yard at the back where the ovens were. The aroma was intoxicating, with fresh bread etc. They also used to make cakes and a firm favourite with locals was "Nelson squares", which were brilliant hot or cold, you could put custard on them for a pudding or pack them up for your 'snap'. That's where we used to get our Salmon paste or potted meat, (bought by 2oz or 4oz etc). Boden Street then divided to Thackery Street on left and Boden Street down to Denman Street. All that area was my stomping ground until I was about 14. My pal, John Furnace lived on the other side of Boden Street, next door to the public baths.

NB. If you read this Mary1947, he was the lad who had relatives at Jacksdale and who I swam in the reservoir with.

Part way down Boden Street, again on the same side as the bank, there was a ghost sign on one of the buildings, M Bick.I think it may have been on the roof tiles in faded white paint. It was certainly there in the 80s.