Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

On 29/11/2014 at 7:17 AM, benjamin1945 said:

Been remembering a few of the names of Managers in Marsdens/Farrands shops in the 60s and wonder if anyone on the forum also remembers them or are related,

Mr Richards,Andover rd,Jock Brown,Mansfield rd,Mr Howard Netherfield,Sid Howard Sherwood,Mr Coleman Sherwood,Eric Storer Beechdale,Albert Drayton Arnold rd,Mr Sweetman Hucknall,Jack Pinder Bulwell,Dennis eyles Long Eaton,Sid Clifford Radford rd,Mick Patman Lenton,Eric Osbourne Bulwell,Mr Horton Northgate,Bernard Montgomery Beechdale,Mr Gamble st Anns,Pete Kingsland St Anns.

Long time ago i know,but you never know,some lovely characters.

Hi Benjamin1945,

My Grandfather was George Horton, of Marsden's at Northgate, I can just about recall the shop as I was a about 5 years when George retired in about '66, having  he worked there and other branches most of his working life. I recall he received a gold watch and staff may have brought him a metal stool with a fold-out step. Happy days.

Woodbeam 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

SO pleased Woodbeam that you recognised your Grandfather in this thread,.........if i recall correctly it would be early 60s when i worked with him a short while.............smallish chap,very popular with his customers.....i ran the shop whilst he was on holiday,could'nt remember his first name it was all very formal back then.....everyone was Mr,even us young ones.

Thanks for your reply, great to hear back from you.

Yes you have him, as you say small in height, but big at heart. He left the shop to look after my Grandma who by then had health issues, but he was always supportive and cheery and made much of small blessings.

Never owning a car, he'd tell tales of travelling around the midlands on train, bus and foot to manage a shop. He and my Grandma lived off Highbury Vale and we lived nearby until moving to Rise Park in 65'. I've attempted to attach a file. As you may see at 19 and 6ft,  I was head and shoulders above him.

Best wishes David

20170201_165756.jpg

• Upvote 2

Terrific David.............he was a lovely man..........thanks for the Photo of him.......good memories of my short time in his company.......

• Upvote 1

Nice one Katy,Denman st, later to become Vernon stores,I was there when it was converted to a self service store,early sixties,

• Upvote 1

I can remember the Marsden on Sneinton Dale with a 'beeroff' on the opposite corner.

Grandma used to send me to the shop with a little red notebook that contained the grocery list. Shop keeper would hand it over, mark the cost at the side of each item and Grandma would settle up on payday.

Butter from a barrel behind the counter, loose sugar in blue bags. loose tea, loose lard and beef dripping. Weird thing I remember was they sold a package of lard and sugar together which always struck me as strange combination.

I was all of six years old when Grandad regularly sent me to the 'beeroff' with an enamel jug to fetch his beer! (in those days they had hand pumps like a pub). My reward was a taste in an eggcup! Can you imagine a six year old kid walking down the street with a jug full of beer now?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Great memory you have there 'Brew'........we did indeed sell all those 'loose' things,......imagine talking to some young 'uns today about 'Loose butter and Lard',and the weird special offer of '2lb Sugar plus LB Lard' that was a speciallaty of Marsdens/Farrands,.......early 60s about 2/6...........eeh wish i'd got a pound for every LB of Loose Butter i weighed and sold........

• 10 months later...

That shop cliff ton holds many memories for me,.....i was part of a team that converted it to self service about 1963,.....even remember the manager lovely Irish chap........then the old customers that came in and wondered what had happened to the place..........no chairs to sit on and have a gossip with their neighbours.......i got some chairs to make em happy and the area Manager gave me a roasting for it, in front of the old ladies.........they sorted him out and he scarpered  bless em....i became area manager a few years later.....and always made sure the old ladies had a seat......eeeh lovely days.........

Years later after Marsdens/Vernons an Asian chap bought it,..anyway he died owing me about £200..........did'nt have the heart to ask his son for the money.........6 months later i went to the shop........and his son had a cheque for me and asked where i'd been............think the shop is still in the same family...................

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, benjamin1945 said:

That shop cliff ton holds many memories for me,.....i was part of a team that converted it to self service about 1963,.....even remember the manager lovely Irish chap........then the old customers that came in and wondered what had happened to the place..........

I know it's been said before, but another instance of everybody on Nottstalgia having a connection with everybody else from some time in the past.

It's quite probable in your days in that shop you would've served my grandma who lived on Grimston Road. The only reason I "know" Denman Street is because I remember hearing my grandma mention the place when she was talking to my mum about shopping-related things.

• Like 1

It's Christmas Eve and that always brings back memories of Denman Street and visits to Garden Street. It was a ritual for the first 8 years of my life. Mum, I'm sure, did some of her shopping in that area and dad always collected the Christmas pork pie and whatever we were having for Christmas dinner from a butcher in that area before joining us at number 4 Garden Street for home made elderberry wine and mince pies. Then a walk home over the gaslit cobbles. Precious memories of a world long gone.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Blimey  ,got me there cliff ton,, looks very modern for a Farrands,, having said that the stacked window display is the style of the 60s,......no don't know........

Edit........by the way mate,,sent that photo of Bulwell Farrands to Anil the shopkeeper that owns it now........he's well pleased,,thanks again,,

Here's one for you, Ben.  I wonder if you ever came across a guy named Eric Whitley.  He'd be around our age.  He was the father of a friend of my wife's.  When I knew them he was involved in a Fine Fare supermarket.  I think prior to that a butcher at Dewhursts Nice enough guy, always made me feel welcome.  I lost touch, I doubt he's still around now

Edited to add.  I was just thinking he must have been a few years older than you and I as he had a teenage daughter back in the 60s

11 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

Any ideas if that is true, and where ?

Southchurch drive Clifton estate

Rog

• Like 2

Didn't work there until it was converted to ''Savemore'' supermarket about 1964.......well done Rog.......

On December 23, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Cliff Ton said:

We've had a photo of this shop before, but not this particular angle - looking up Denman Street.

vbBi56j.jpg

Looking at this picture of Denman St brings back memories. My brother had a paper round from a shop on Churchfield Lane. I could not get up in the morning so

when I was 11, I got a delivery boys job at the CO-OP on Alfreton Rd just by Radford Blvd. I had one of those bikes with a basket on the front and worked Friday evening and Saturday morning delivering orders. Getting across and around Alfreton Rd and Radford Blvd on a Friday when Players let out was a trick and I remember getting knocked off the bike a few times but nothing serious. I did it for a couple of years. Here in the US the big supermarkets and Amazon are just starting similar services, what goes around comes around.

What was the name of the Flee Pit on Hartley Road we used to go there sometimes on a Saturday afternoon for the Tanner Rush. The Capitol was on Bobbers Mill 

42 minutes ago, Martyn said:

What was the name of the Flee Pit on Hartley Road we used to go there sometimes on a Saturday afternoon for the Tanner Rush. 

I think this is what you're thinking of.  https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/2616-things-you-dont-see-anymore/?page=189&tab=comments#comment-554392

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc