Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

Ian, I were only a nipper at the time, when I grew to the interested stage it had closed down. Now, I'm too owd to care.

• Like 1
  • Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

On 1/29/2022 at 10:00 AM, Beekay said:

DJ360, that 'cinema or theatre you referred to a couple of posts back, was indeed a theatre. The "Olympia" was well know as variety cum burlesque. My dad Cyril (Syd) worked there for a while as a stagehand. I can vaguely remember going with him to see the famous "Jane", of daily mirror fame, (the live version,not comic strip).

Mentioned it before, but one of dad's jobs was standing in the wings and handing cloaks to the strippers as they came off stage.

I only recall it as Woolies, but I had a good mate Melvin Starkey in Boowul..who told me that he recalled his Dad taking him to 'shows' there in, I think, the 1950s.

As for 'Jane', I think I posted pics a couple of years ago. of the brass silhouette lamp I have which features Jane. :)

Col..did your friend Melvyn Starkey live on Bancroft street ?

The reason i ask is i had a school pal named Starkey who lived there...he was a very good footballer.......but he had a brother called Malcolm...who was even better about ten years older..who was a Pro for Blackpool...Chester and Shrewsbury.....

Another famous son of Bulwell....who most people i doubt have ever heard of..........

I know ive gone off the thread here.......but his Mam did shop at Marsdens........lol

Thanks for that Jill........i had forgot Peter's first name..he went to Padstow or Whipple for only a short time.....he told me about his footballing brother...........just looked him up........he's still about and is President of Shrewsbury football club.........

• Like 1

Now this was an Audrey.........even Fred pulled...

Never shopped in Marsdens Bulwell though..........

Obviously the Marsdens building plus all the ones to the right....

The ones on the left have all gone..........

Just a suggestion but if you install a program called   'TeamViewer'   on both machines, GD and yours, she can do it remotely for you once the phone is plugged into the PC.

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=gb|b|pr|21|aug|exact-brand-combi-download-sn|free|t0|0&utm_content=exact_brand_download&utm_term=teamviewer+download

I used to run errands there for my grandma. She had a little red book in which she wrote her order, the shopkeeper gave me the groceries, marked the prices against the order and she settled up on payday.

On the opposite corner was the off-licence grandad sent me to with an enamel jug to buy a quart of ale. Six years old carrying a full jug of beer trying not to spill any... they'd lock him up now days

On 11/20/2016 at 9:52 AM, Cliff Ton said:

Don't seem to have posted this one before; on Sneinton Boulevard.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae24/kc29_2010/marsden1_zpscupsnjif.jpg

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

While we wait for Ben, here's a Marsden's on Sneinton Boulevard which I don't think has been posted here before.

https://picturenottingham.co.uk/image-library/image-details/poster/ntgm003519/posterid/ntgm003519.html

There used to be a Marsdens on Melton Road in West Bridgford too, my brother had a Saturday job there 

The only one i worked at in West Bridgford was Boundary road MRS B...........cant recall Melton road...........

Thanks for that Cliff Ton.........i was only about 16 and spent a couple of weeks there.............the regular 'Granville' was off sick...and they had a very large amount of delivery's most days....and their vocabulary's were very different from Bulwell......like being in another country.......was glad to get back to Bulwell and a few ''Ey up mi ducks''

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc