Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

Beekay i can't remember if i asked this before what did SPD stand for and were they based on Glaisedale Dr. Our garage had the contract for servicing and repairing the UYC vans and lorries comprising of Bedfords Commers and Austins which were based on Glaisedale Dr.this would have been in the late 60s. Tell me about SPD please.

Hello Ian, nice to hear from you. You're right, SPD was on Glaisdale, on the left when turning off Wigman Road. Speedy Prompt Deliveries, although we drivers reckoned it were Sex Provided Daily.

The warehouse also included a deep freeze store, where Birds Eye foods was stored and delivered by a fleet of Birds Eye vans. My older brother (r.i.p.) used to work permanent nights, assembling the loads for the following day. Before joining the drivers, I worked in the main warehouse and also done a few stints in the freezer, working in -25°. This subject has been discussed on earlier posts. No doubt our beloved CT could advise on that ! Cheers mate.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Beekay said:

This subject has been discussed on earlier posts. No doubt our beloved CT could advise on that ! Cheers mate.

I haven't searched specifically, but have a look in this thread. I assume SPD will be mentioned.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/4994-nottingham-hauliers/?

Cant recall any 'International stores'' in Nottingham.....where were they BK ?

We at Marsdens'' always thought ''SPD'' stood for ''Soap Powder Delivery's''....took all these years to find out not.............

Trying to remember Ben, but as it's over 45 years ago I'm struggling. Do remember one in Grantham though. Desperately trying to recall my old stomping grounds even though it was such a vast area. Depending on what day,  my range was from Lincoln down to St Neots, Ely and all stops between. On the other side of the A1, it was Oundle, Corby, Kettering Market Harborough  and parts of Northampton,  with lots of villages between. My favourite was the primary school at Wilbarston. Always got a fish and chip dinner on a Friday, (planned my route to get there at lunchtime).

Had a trawl through the old phone books, looking for various shops in the past.

This is the VG stores in 1979, and International stores in 76.

iUHKFXO.jpg

This is VG and Vernons (being close in an alphabetical list) in 1969.

VbjNNNy.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 3/19/2013 at 6:56 AM, Trevor S said:

http://www.advertisingarchives.co.uk/assets/thumbnails/185/2/9dbca067db57a737fb96e8105df5b017.jpg

The pimply biscuit....

Second row down and first on the left????

The pimply biscuits , were they called lincolns ? Or something similar ?

I remember them old corner shops , once i came and dad sent to the shop , I'd give the shopkeeper my list , and he'd say tell yer faither when he's paid for the last lot on tick , he can have some more !

• Upvote 1

There were lots of corner shops in the Meadows, if you didn't pay your bill at the end of the week your name went on the blacklist which was posted in the window for all to see.

• Upvote 2

There was a big shop in Bulwell Market (Pascoes?) that listed all those owing money, in their window. I remember seeing this in the 60's.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...
On 11/13/2020 at 3:18 PM, benjamin1945 said:

JUST dawned on me,,,all i said about the Marsdens was true,,,except it was Farrands across the road a bit higher up...,,,,just a matter of no interest at all,,,,,,,,my ex girlfriend Katrina's aunt and Uncle lived in the flat above the bank....lol.

@benjamin1945i have been reading the farrands/ mardens thread & if i remember correctly it was in the row of shops between newdigate st & thoroton st, possibly either what is now the car audio centre or nottm hi-fi looking on google maps, wonder if you may be able to confirm this? thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

There's a very tall maypole in the village of Wellow near Ollerton which is a permanent fixture on the green and is danced round each year on May Day. There's also a 'Maypole' pub in that village. We have a maypole in our village which is erected in the Glebe Field for special occasions and the children dance around it. I think we did some sort of maypole dancing in the juniors at Arno Vale. Was that called 'stripping the willow'?

I've seen the maypole in Wellow. My maternal great grandfather was born there and christened in the tiny parish church. Well, he was actually born in Ompton, nearby.

Maypole dancing isn't easy. In my first teaching post, the school had a tradition of maypole dancing and guess who was landed with the job of organizing it?

In the 80s, I visited Wellow and came across Wellow Hall which, at the time, was under renovation. One of my ancestors, a surgeon, lived at Wellow Hall and when I explained the connection to the chap undertaking the work, he invited me in to have a look round. The building was a mess but it was interesting to be in a place where my ancestor had once lived. I've always meant to go back and have a look but somehow never got round to it.