Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

@philmayfield  I can remember maypole dancing at Arno Vale, but ‘stripping the willow ‘ is part of certain country dances (not round the maypole)

One of the  things we performed in maypole dancing was making braids/plaits in sets of 3 people.

• Like 1
  • Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

I can also remember doing maypole dancing every year at the garden fete behind the old rectory in Tollerton. Loved it but had to practice very hard beforehand, it wasn’t easy. You only had to have one person go wrong and it was an absolute disaster!

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 8:29 PM, katyjay said:

There was a big shop in Bulwell Market (Pascoes?) that listed all those owing money, in their window. I remember seeing this in the 60's.

Was my name on the list ???

• 3 weeks later...

Looks even before my time @trogg ....i did work in one round the corner on Lower Parliament street....in 1965 as relief manager....i know it was 65 because i remember closing the shop for 5 minutes for Winston Churchill's funeral.....

1 hour ago, trogg said:

Here is a Marsden from next to Pretty Windows, our Ben may have worked here years later than the photo, but what stories could he tell.

sothwell-road-marsdens.jpg

I saw that pic on Facebook yesterday and could date it to March 1934  (not 1944 as posted), judging by the movies being advertised on the hoardings . 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stuart.C said:

Might have been posted before,

14oSkiT.png

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/articles/sneinton/sm88_15-27.htm

Great find Stuart......think you all know my love of Marsdens where i spent about ten years of my working life thru the 60s.......never knew its origins till reading this .........1880 blimey !!!!....thanks again Stuart...........

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

This is how Beeston looked when my father was born there in November 1924, at 21 Church Street. I think it's gone somewhat downhill since then. My maternal uncle bought a house in Endsleigh Gardens when he married in 1935. It was a brand new development and was a gated community. All residents had a key to the gate which was sited between the shops on High Road.  Many years ago, I went to look and the gateway was still there...but the gate had gone!

Endsleigh Gardens still exists and looking on old and current maps, this appears to be the closest equivalent to the path into there from High Road.

https://goo.gl/maps/V9Z7ZMNQe37vUNM2A   

If you click through it, you go down the driveway and come to a footpath which takes you to Endsleigh.

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Looking at the car and general lack of traffic, I wonder if it's a bit earlier than 1950s.

There's what could be a date in the lower right corner of 29-2-32.  Even before Ben was around.

Totally agree CT. There were a lot of older cars around in the post war years but that does look like a date in the corner. When was Aspley built. 

The above view of no.29 looks like it was taken from corner of Melbourne road, looking up Aspley Lane. The curve to the right would be Amersham rise. Where the advertising board is on the right, is where a newsagents stood, and that's where the NCT sited a time clock for us lowly conductors, back in the early 60s.

• Upvote 1

And that bus stop outside Deatons was Fare stage number 15, on both sides of the lane. (Just for those officianados of transport)

Remember all those shops on the left. Have used them all at some time. My favourite was Andrews fish bar. Had many of lunches in there. Cheers W.W.

• 2 weeks later...

Ben, I have just seen a picture on FB of a Marsden store on the corner of Bishop Street and Portland Street Mansfield.

Bishop Street ran up to the Stags Ground at Field Mill so I was down that way many times but I can't remember that shop, can you?