Farrands, Marsdens, Maypole, Dewhurst, VG, Vernons, etc

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

By Request then.............. Like all other aspects of my Teen years,at Marsdens,loved doing deliverys to customers on the Granville with big Basket..no gears and hardwork up the hills of Bestwo

Next delivery was Mrs Taylor....who lived 2 doors from me on Andover road  .......knew her all my life...even Babysat me when i was a little un....a very formidable lady had 5 kids all much older than

Last delivery to Mrs Timberlake...Hucknall road..... Morning Mrs T....Where you want me to put your Order ? Just leave it on the Hall Table Ben...How much is it ?  (she was a customer that p

Posted Images

There's a bit about Marsden's in Mansfield here. And a photo which Ben could've been in.

https://www.ourmansfieldandarea.org.uk/content/topics/business/shops-and-retail/marsdens_at_moor_street

And a Marsden's in Mansfield Woodhouse.....

https://www.francisfrith.com/mansfield-woodhouse/mansfield-woodhouse-high-street-c1955_m400005

• Like 2

Pound of Lard.........Mrs Pettigrew?

How about some Dripping fa his Snap?

No Thanks Ben..just 20 woodbines please Duck.

He's on a health trip........

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't recall that shop, although it would certainly have been there during my childhood. I do recall a Maypole, on the other side of the road and further towards Gregory Boulevard . It had a striking gold and white fascia. My mother often shopped there. I remember her buying tub butter. Picky about her butter, my mother, and wouldn't have margarine in the house. I also remember the scales on the counter in Maypole. All those little weights made of brass. Ah, the romance has gone out of shopping!

Tina and I used to use those shops back in 1965, when we moved into our first flat on Burford Road. Remember walking down to the  'green and you had a variety of choices. Think we were there until late 1967, when we moved to Sherwood. It was handy too, to walk down Berridge road and round the corner to the 'Lenos' cinema.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

Don't think this has been mentioned before. Radford Road, Hyson Green.

zalf3Rl.jpg

Ah the lovely Mavis.....lol

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

My favourite Marsdens photo.......Bulwell 1920s?........worked there a short time about 1961.......................thanks to Paul Turton's Bulwell photo'sNo photo description available.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

For those of you who would like to know what happened to Marsdens and Farrands.......they were taken over by this company in the North-east......late 60sA Moore's supermarket, c1970

• Like 1

Pretty sure they wern't Cliff ton...when they took over Farrands etc it opened the door for me to travel to different parts of the country which i really enjoyed.......

Danish Tub Butter  came in Barrels to Marsdens.....weighing 112 lbs or 2 'Firkins'' Firkin heavy too. when we carried them from a lorry to the shop cellars...to keep the butter cool......

Princely Packets of Golden Health

• Like 1

Tub butter was a favourite with my mother. She wouldn't have the word 'margarine' uttered in the house! Not even for cooking/baking purposes.  I well remember sitting in my push chair, watching Norman who kept the grocery shop at the bottom of the road patting butter into shape with two wooden paddles and then wrapping it in greaseproof paper. Same with cheese, cut from a large block with a cheesewire. No shrinkwrap in sight. Lovely smells, too.

• Like 2

When I was young we always had margarine as the normal everyday thing to spread on bread. Butter was very much something for special occasions and one-off events. My parents treated it as an expensive luxury (I don't know if it actually was) and not affordable for everyday use.

8 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

Butter was very much something for special occasions and one-off events. My parents treated it as an expensive luxury (I don't know if it actually was) and not affordable for everyday use.

If it wasn't then, it certainly is now! There is no substitute, though.

• 3 months later...
On 2/4/2023 at 11:08 PM, Cliff Ton said:

The first 20-ish photos here include examples of most of the shops in the title of this thread.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/local-news/gallery/59-pictures-life-sherwood-over-3734823

We lived  in Sherwood in the early 70s, first in a rented flat just off Mansfield Rd, then in a small new development - Larwood Grove - at the bottom of Edwards Lane. We were on the hospital's grid, so were unaffected by the power worker's strike.