Childhood sounds

We've had childhood smells, how about sounds we no longer hear.

'Holdy-tight now', and 'move down the bus' from the bus conductors, and the sound of his ticket machine. He would also rattle the loose change in his hand as he asked for 'any more fares please' as he walked back and forth up the aisle.

The pit trains at Cinderhill colliery if the wind was in the right direction.

Anybody else?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember when we'd moved to Bestwood Village when I was 14, I'd lay in bed with the window wide open listening to the night sounds of the village. There was a slipping screaching conveyor belt on th

That could be my memories coll0410. A different colliery village, but the same sounds. Not a Mackemsons bus but a Butlers Brothers Bedford OB bus, The B8 ran through the village but it was only M

Jill This should bring back some memories of Sunday lunchtime  

The sound of the northbound Master Cutler at around 8pm, as the Leicester V2 - on full volume - climbs up to Arnold Road during the long ascent to Hucknall Central. Likewise, the clattering Grimsby-Whitland 'fast fish' train of 30 fitted vans, in the opposite direction...

Cheers

Robt P.

• Upvote 1

The sound of a kettle whistling when the water had boiled (I know you can still get them now but I haven't heard one since i was a kid)

A rag and bone man shouting along the street - you could never tell what he was saying but it was probably based on "any old rags and bones"

The sound of people starting cars in the morning using a starting handle

A few localised ones for me, The End of shift siren that used to blare out from the Sovex Marshall factory near where I lived, the siren that came from the fire station on Station Road that was used (I assume) to call in the reserve firemen. And finally (And this one took me years to find out what caused it !!) A loose connection where the phone line connected to the corner of our neighbours house , when the wind blew from a certain direction it used to make a strange rattle. Had me for years that did , it wasn't till they had their roof retiled and the cable was temporarily removed then replaced that I noticed that I no longer heard it. I would have been in my 20s by then !!

As for the rag and bone mans shout, I get at least 5 different lots of Pikeys coming round every day of the week sometimes 3 of them on one day (Even Sundays) all of them have PA systems shouting out "Any old iron"

Our old rag and bone man , (Who we always thought of as a proper 'Scruffy little 'erbert') used to shout "Rag Bone" and I always thought that was actually Rag bert !!

The End of shift siren that used to blare out from the Sovex Marshall factory near where I lived,

That's reminded me of a similar thing. Factory whistles for clocking on/off......living in Clifton we could hear the one from Clifton (Wilford) Colliery.....and when we went to visit my grandma in Radford you could hear the whistles for Players factories and for Radford colliery

The lift man in the big Co-op also used to shout out the departments as he stopped at every floor.

The whoosh of the tube with bill and money in, as it flew up the pipes in certain stores.

The bell on emergency vehicles, no sirens that I remember as a kid.

Hedge clippers on weekends, every house had a hedge on our estate.

The sound of a kettle whistling when the water had boiled ...

That made me laugh - my kettle had only just boiled and my tea is mashing!

In Long Eaton there was a chap, known locally as "Fudge" who sold the Evening Post and Derby Telegraph from his bicycle. He would ride around the area we lived shouting "Post, Evening Post" VERY loud, followed by "Telegraph" almost sotto-voce!

The swish of the trollybus on the wires (silent death). Steam engine whistles. Newspaper sellers in the Old Market Square - E---Po, Po, Po, E----Po (Evening Post!).

Post #14 reminded me of staying at my grandma's as a kid nr St Leodegarius church, it was always bell practice on Tuesday nights. I loved to hear it.

Kids with a bag of marbles rattling away in their hands. Lads with ciggy cards in the spokes of their bike wheels.

The bacon slicer swishing away in the grocery store when you asked for bacon. It was always cut fresh for you.

The "hiss" from the pressure cooker when mum was cooking Sunday dinner!

D'you know Eric , that's one thing we never had.

Another couple, this time from when we used to go up the allotment with my dad. The song of Yellow Hammers and Sky Larks. And that was in a very urban area too.

Roll on next Spring out in Lincolnshire , eh Rog ?

The area between Lambley and Calverton past the Woodlark pub is the one area around Notts I can guarantee the sound of yellowhammers and skylarks every year.One field there is the territory of a couple of pairs of lapwings which dive and scream on my approach with the dogs.And it's always the first place I hear a cuckoo.Takes me back to my childhood every spring when I'm up that way.

We had a pressure cooker, frightened me to death! I always thought it was going to explode, and for that reason, I've never wanted one.

Mowers without motors! Distinctive sounds both pushing & pulling, always relaxing sounds slow & leisurely..................

Kids playing skipping games, with long ropes (washing lines) where you had to 'run in' at just the right time.

Raleigh mopeds.............

The song of Yellow Hammers and Sky Larks. And that was in a very urban area too.

On the subject of birdsong.......I'll turn the subject upside down, and mention something I never heard when I was a kid but you can't get away from now.

Magpies - I'd quite happily shoot 'em all. Everywhere you go you hear their awful cackling, and I'm certain I never heard them at all when I was younger. Have they really increased that much over the last 30 years?

The siren at Carlton Fire Station, my School was opposite the old station it used to make us all jump when it went off

And i aint heard a cuckoo for years