Childhood sounds

My dad having a wet shave and the sound of the razor fetching off his whiskers [stubble].

Men whistling in the streets as they walked.

Uncle Mac on a Saturday morning on the wireless.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember when we'd moved to Bestwood Village when I was 14, I'd lay in bed with the window wide open listening to the night sounds of the village. There was a slipping screaching conveyor belt on th

That could be my memories coll0410. A different colliery village, but the same sounds. Not a Mackemsons bus but a Butlers Brothers Bedford OB bus, The B8 ran through the village but it was only M

Jill This should bring back some memories of Sunday lunchtime  

My dad having a wet shave and the sound of the razor fetching off his whiskers [stubble].

Men whistling in the streets as they walked.

Uncle Mac on a Saturday morning on the wireless.

Uncle Mac;

Max Bygraves..........I'm a blue toothbrush, you're a pink toothbrush............

I'm a troll, fol de ro-holl,

& I'll eat you for my supper................Billy goats bruff!! Don't know who sang it???????????

Frankie Howerd...........& they swam & they swam right over the dam....................ooo poop didden dadden wadden eeeeeeeeeeeeep!! or words to that effect

Doris Day......On his gun there's more than twenny seven notches.........

!rotfl!

I remember one at Skeggy!

There used to be a machine, maybe at Skeggy, that had a laughing policeman in it. You put your money in and he'd laugh and jiggle about.

Definitely one at Mablethorpe, in the arcade on the corner of High Street & Quebec road junction, also had the 'quick draw' cowboy & haunted house etc, all of which gave me bad dreams....................however they stopped once I hit eighteen !rotfl!

Blackpool - now there's a subject we haven't covered. Went for a week once -with my then GF on my Vespa. I was not impressed, but had a good time anyway. I was probably 16 at the time!

I really miss the song of birds. I can no longer hear many of them due to partial deafness.

Another thing I miss is the sound of the air raid siren being tested during the 1950s at the height of the c"Cold war" when we expected to be bombed at any minute.

The slapping sound of wellie-bobs hitting the back of your calves.

Mine still do! I live in the far north of Scotland where wellies are essential footwear.

Until I was about 16yrs old I could lie in bed and be lulled to sleep by the sound of late evening trains shunting and passing through Bulwell Common. I lived a couple of miles away but the sound carried nicely on a still evening.

The siren at Carlton Fire Station, my School was opposite the old station it used to make us all jump when it went off

And i aint heard a cuckoo for years

Cuckoos are still common here in the north of Scotland and one of the few birdsongs I can still hear.

There used to be a machine, maybe at Skeggy, that had a laughing policeman in it. You put your money in and he'd laugh and jiggle about.

A variation being the "Jolly Sailor"

The sound of the northbound Master Cutler at around 8pm, as the Leicester V2 - on full volume - climbs up to Arnold Road during the long ascent to Hucknall Central. Likewise, the clattering Grimsby-Whitland 'fast fish' train of 30 fitted vans, in the opposite direction...

Cheers

Robt P.

Why is it that whenever I click the "Like" button it tells me that I have already had my quota of positive votes for the day?!

Anyway, I too remember the same trains and despite living in a former railway station, with trains, still miss the old steam sounds.

Compo, I was going to put the sound of the air raid siren, then thought maybe my mind was playing tricks on me. Apparently not so, I didn't imagine it. I wonder where it was, that I could hear it on Bells Lane Estate? Didn't folks call it Big Bertha?

I lived on Oxclose Lane. The one I heard may have doubled as a fire brigade siren down in Daybrook.

The thrilling sound of the cuckoo flying over Broxtowe woods, Summertime. Such a magical sound - haven't heard it for years. Just hearing the 'cuckoo, cuckoo' made me happy. Can anyone remember the song that begins: 'the cuckoo is a pretty bird, she singeth as she flies.' ?

Also the sound of the rag and bone man's call as he walked up Amesbury Circus - a steep incline. Pushing his loaded cart he'd call 'rag bone, rag bone'. And me on hearing it would pester my mum for some 'rags' so I could get a goldfish in a plastic bag. And no matter how well I looked after that fish in its rinsed out jam jar, it would never fail to die the next day!

The awful miserable chime of the ice cream van that is still with us today - it's time somebody told the Company to change their tune!

When Katyjay writes of boys with cigarette cards stuck in their bicycle tires it brings back memories.

I remember a bit of my Dads version:-

"She builds her nests in Rhubarb trees,

and whistles as she flies "

Any help on the rest of that version would also be appreciated

Thank you. !!

Beefy, this one is for you.

The Effelump is a wonderful bird

As it flies from bough to bough

It makes it's nest in a rhubarb tree

And whistles like a cow.

Christine, here's one for you.

Oh the cuckoo she's a pretty bird

She singeth as she flies

She bringeth good tidings

She telleth no lies

She sucketh white flowers

For to keep her voice clear

And the more she singeth cuckoo

The summer draweth near.

Good job Freddy 'Parrotface' Davis isn't singing this one, you'd be wet through!