Childhood sounds

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I remember when we'd moved to Bestwood Village when I was 14, I'd lay in bed with the window wide open listening to the night sounds of the village. There was a slipping screaching conveyor belt on th

That could be my memories coll0410. A different colliery village, but the same sounds. Not a Mackemsons bus but a Butlers Brothers Bedford OB bus, The B8 ran through the village but it was only M

Jill This should bring back some memories of Sunday lunchtime  

Hiya Kath

I was truely hoping I wouldn't meet you yet (not really!) being as I haven't replied to your email. This is a wonderful forum; when I read what you'd put on about boys sticking cards in their bike spokes the memory of it all came back - I could even hear the sound.

Are the words you've written to do with the cuckoo song I mentioned? And if so where did you get them? I loved that song, perhaps that's what made me love the call of the cuckoo over in Broxtowe Woods.

I came on to Nottstalgia looking for anything on 'The Temptations' and then I thought why not learn more about 'Nottstalgia' - I can see that it could get addictive and I've still not finished my secretarial work!

You can google any thing in the world nowadays, just put a few words in the search box and up they all come.

Christine, do come to the meet up, it will be Dec 29th, somewhere in town, venue not decided yet. We haven't seen each other in about 50 years, I bet we haven't changed one bit, LOL.

Just to be awkward...She doesn't singeth...he doth.And only when he's sateth on a brancheth..

They also Cuckoo when they are flying

Rog

\snip\

When Katyjay writes of boys with cigarette cards stuck in their bicycle tires it brings back memories.

I used a folded fag packet :o)

Hi Kath

I'd love to come to the 'meet up' - don't forget me! I certainly haven't changed in 50 years, I'll be wearing my navy blue knickers, my blue shirt, my navy pleated skirt and my navy blazer with 'Latitia Servire' emblazoned on my badge - do you think you'll recognise me? Oh and I forgot my brown lace-ups with my long, grey socks as well.

Don't want to appear thick but are those the 'real words' to the Cuckoo Song. If so where did you get them?

You have such a wonderful clear memory Kath. LOL

I've sent you the link, Christine. Looking forward to seeing you in your school uniform. One question, does the navy knickers have a pocket for your hanky? I know mine did, LOL. Don't know about knickers, they were more like grandma's bloomers.

Compo, I was going to put the sound of the air raid siren, then thought maybe my mind was playing tricks on me. Apparently not so, I didn't imagine it. I wonder where it was, that I could hear it on Bells Lane Estate? Didn't folks call it Big Bertha?

The siren(s) after WW2 would have been for Civil Defence and intended to provide a 4 minute warning of an impending nuclear bomb. They were tested annually.

Perhaps for another thread, what would you have done in the 4 minutes?

Compo, I was going to put the sound of the air raid siren, then thought maybe my mind was playing tricks on me. Apparently not so, I didn't imagine it. I wonder where it was, that I could hear it on Bells Lane Estate? Didn't folks call it Big Bertha?

Apologies for the delay in responding to your post - I completely missed it, idiot that I am <g> I don't know its location but I'll ask my brother who may have more gen.

The Play Ground, William Crane Junior Girls' School - 1950's

The sound of the huge skipping rope hitting the hard ground and a girl skipping. At the side girls queuing - anticipating their turn - and singing loudly to a well-known song:

'On a mountain stands a lady

Who she is I do not know

All she wants is gold and silver

All she wants is a handsome beau

So call on the one you love

The one you love, the one you love

So call on the one you love

And tell me who she'll be . . .

The girl skipping would then announce the name of the girl who was to follow her; the named girl would then jump in and the original girl skipping would jump out.

When I read the words to this skipping song the music that accompanied it came back instantly. Lovely times.

Another great memory jog there ! I may start a new thread actually!

" THE SCHOOL PLAYGROUND"

Wonderful Beefsteak.

Here's another skipping song from the playground that brings back the haunting but beautiful sound of children singing in unison:

'Sweetheart, sweetheart

Will you marry me?

Yes love, yes love at half past three

Iced cakes, spice cakes

All for tea

And we'll have a wedding at half past three

Pom, pom here comes the taxi cab

Ready for the wedding at half past three

Enchanting, n'est pas?

Does anyone recall this round:

Goodbye [name] eg Julie, while you're away,

Write me a letter, to tell me that you're better,

goodbye Julie, while you're away,

Don't forget your old friend [next name in circle] eg Carol.

Goodbye Carol, while you're away,

etc..

Another sound that will always stick in my mind is that of my father's 1950s Trojan diesel van being started on a cold winter morning at 07:30am at about the same time as the milkman clinking bottles as he put them onto the doorstep.

Just gorrofa train!

Dint sound the same?

The wheels used to go, Diddlee Dee Diddlee Dah,Diddlee Dee Diddlee Dah,Diddlee Dee Diddlee Dah,....etc.

Just gorrofa train!

Dint sound the same?

The wheels used to go, Diddlee Dee Diddlee Dah,Diddlee Dee Diddlee Dah,Diddlee Dee Diddlee Dah,....etc.

They still do outside my house. I live alongside the Highland Railway.

They still do outside my house. I live alongside the Highland Railway.

Funny enough I'm just planning a route up your way for next summer (As I'm typing this, I've just took a break from my 'research' !)

Flight to Aberdeen , pick up hire car, then all the way up the West coast , across the top to Cape Wrath (hopefully), then down the East as far Mull, then back across to Aberdeen and flight back to Manchester, all told in a week to 10 days

• Upvote 1