This is the paternal side of my family that I have a problem with but not as much to go on as the Willoughbys !!

My Great Great Grandfather Henry Johnson was born in Nottingham c1795 & the next time I can find him is in the 1841 census , where he is living in Old Street , Sheffield & he is a " Merchant " with eight Children the first two born at Owston Ferry , Lincolnshire in 1831 & 1834 & six born in Sheffield.

The next census 1851 I find him & & his wife Jane Pearson b 1811 in Wilsic, Doncaster & with their eleven children living as Innkeepers at the Black Swan Inn, New Street, Doncaster.

His next to youngest daughter Ann Ballard nee Johnson 1849 - 1952 was my Great Grandmother.

What I want to know is where in Nottingham was Henry born ? Is there anyway to find out this information ?

Thanks in anticipation,

Barbara M

What I want to know is where in Nottingham was Henry born ? Is there anyway to find out this information ?

I've done quite a bit of research on my own family history but so far I've not gone as far back as 1795. Censuses didn't start till 1841 so you have to resort to things like parish registers and church records etc.

Might be a bit complicated for you as you live in S Yorks but are looking for an event in Nottinghamshire. Try contacting these two places which I've visited a lot; the staff are helpful

Local studies dept in the main library in Nottingham http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1779

and the County Council Archives http://www.nottingha...gov.uk/archives

Thanks for the reply & info Cliff Ton, I have the added problem that I am a wheelchair user as well as living in S Yorks , but I will contact these places by email & see what comes of it.

Thanks again,

Barbara

Do you know his wife's maiden name? If not, you could get it by ordering the birth cert for one of their children. At least with his wife's name you may be able to find their marriage, although you don't know where it might have taken place! The record MAY give Henry's fathers name, which might help in finding a baptism.

As he was an Innkeeper there may be an obit for him in the local newspaper. He may also have left a will, so it could be worth getting a copy, if so, just in case he left anything to any siblings, although as he had so many children, perhaps they, or his wife, if she was still alive, got the lot!

Since I last posted I have found the following on " Family Search " : Henry Johnson married Jane Pearson on 31st Dec 1827 in Clarborough , Nottingham. This could be them BUT I have no way of checking up as you can't send for certificates before I think 1837 , the only way is to go to Clarborough & check the parish records.

Thanks for your help, I will get there in the end or not as the case may be !!

Barbara.

Nothing listed for Clarborough but I agree that the records may not be complete, I can only quote from what is recorded.

Clarborough is only just in Nottinghamshire and not generally known as a 'Nottingham' address, I would expect 'Notts' or 'Nottinghamshire'.

The nearest market town to Clarborough in Nottinghamshire is East Retford.

There are 2 Johnson families recorded, both innkeepers or publicans.

Richard Johnson married to Martha listed as a publican in The Square, (or Market Square) East Retford. With 4 children born between 1820 and 1825

William Johnson married to Charlotte, Innkeeper in Carolgate, East Retford with 4 children born 1820 to 1850

Perhaps Richard & William may be part of the greater family.

I thougt as the family next went to Owston Ferry, where the first two children were born, before moving to Sheffield, where the next 6 children were born, it was odds on that Clarborough was probably the place where they were married , it being just up the road , so to speak.Just off the A161 nr Haxey.

There is no record at all of a Retford connection that I can find.

I love this detective work .....should have been in the police instead of a publican's wife !!!

Barbara

...should have been in the police instead of a publican's wife !!!

Same thing, innit?

• 3 weeks later...

I have since found out through the Sheffield Forum that Henry was a potato merchant when he lived on Old St , Sheffield , but nothing further.

Thanks all for your efforts, I will let you all know if I find out anything more.

Barbara