Compo, looks like you've got a lot of land. Your photo of tulips you have growing, note the 'card' design on the front petals of three of them - long time since I played cards - Mother Nature turned up trumps again?

Like me, you have an abundant flowering currant this year. :smile:

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember my mother taking me to see the old cockatoo who was over 100 years old and the minah bird who mimicked us, I was only a small child then and was fascinated - it was a day out for us as

The Arboreum Aviaries

Lovely photograph lynmee, especially the clear and then the muted reflections in the lake. I often stand at this spot with my grand-daughter Sofia and feed the ducks. I've taken her on the Arboretum

indeed the first day of spring today in the early hours of this day 36 years ago 1976 my eldest son was born in peel st hospital it was a lovely bright sunny day that day and i asked the nurses if i could go out onto the arboritum needless to say the answer was nospent 10 days in peel st all nice nice all i could do was look out of the ward windows upstairs ward onto the grounds and the people enjoying the sunshine on the park. that was the start ofcourse of a very long hot summer.

Looks like I've seen the last of Nottingham Castle then - not paying a King's ransom for entry :o(

FORGOT TO SAY IT WAS A SUNDAY MOTHERS DAYWHAT DID I GET NOTHING HUBBY SAID I WAS NOT HIS MUM WAS VERY UPSET HOW DID HE EXPECT A BABY OF A FEW HOURS OLD TO GO OUT AND BUY ME A CARD.

A lovely photograph Compo, a delight to the eye; love the use of stones amongst the greenery. :smile:

PS: I've 'ticked you' off for this - in the nicest possible way. :smile:

They are beach stones, mostly conglomerates, with rockery plants set between. We have two acres of garden and Julie's daughter calls it "The Park" Somewhere I have a photo of the garden taken from the roof. I'll see if I can find it. finally - Thank you for the tick.....but what I really want that kick up the bottom you promised someone else in this forum a few days ago <WEG>

Hi Babs, Congratulations on giving birth 36 years ago. :smile: How wonderful it is that you can remember so much about this eventful day. I'm the same, I can recall all the details: the weather, the time I gave birth, my baby's face and even what I had for tea . . . :smile:

Compo, I'd only give someone a K UpThe A if they were a Pain In The A and that is something you're not! You Don't Qualify.

I'm a paradox: I'm only happy when I'm miserable; therefore it follows that a big K up the A would make me happy by causing me misery.

Reading all the comments and seeing the photos of the Arboretum has made me want to go there in the summer. I can't remember ever paying a visit there although I did nearly buy a house next to it many years ago. I remember that it had a high wall around it for security and was the perfect place but I got gazumped (?). I'm pleased that I was really because my whole life would have been different. Can you take dogs into the Arboretum because I have an Old English Sheepdog and also, can you get any refreshments there?.

There you go Michael. Can't say I've noticed these refreshment facilities but then I tend to go through there in the evening occasionally. I can recommend The Gooseberry Bush pub on Peel Street just around the corner.

Site Facilities

• Disability Access
  • Dogs Welcome (On Leads)
  • Events Programme
  • Heritage
  • Light Refreshments
  • Disabled on Site Parking (available by prior arrangement)
  • On Street Parking
  • Accessible by public transport
  • Ranger
  • Toilets (Event Days Only)
  • Tree Trail
  • Orienteering
  • Health Walks
  • Ice Cream Concession
  • Wildlife Areas

http://www.nottingha...3383#Facilities

Stu: Ranger? Is he the only one? The Lone Ranger, perhaps . There I go again, laughing at my own silly jokes. DOH! :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

An interesting thread!

My Grandmother & my Aunt lived very close to the Arboretum, higher up on Goldsmith Street, and as my grandmother was permanently confined to a wheelechair after a botched hospital operation, her daughter (my aunt) would take her there in the wheelchair very reguarly and as a young boy living in the Meadows & then later in Gedling would visit with her quite often! I always loved this gentle oasis within the city ( probably more in retrospect than at the time, being just a young kid lol), but the memories of the park have lived with me through the years of change, and, bizarrely enough, after leaving school & persuing a career, my first job in the larger world, training to be a chef, around ,1969, took me to my very first job as an apprentice at the Arboretum Holel at the top of the park! - 5 months of shear hell!?! but hey! set my head for the future - no regrets lol!

• Upvote 1

Just a Thought?

As a kid I always walked it there. From Hartley Road/Norton Street.

Do they have a car park at the arboretum?

No car park Mick. Of course it's only just over the hill from the free car park at the park and ride on the Forest.

Walked through there this very afternoon. I like the way you can deviate off Waverley Street on the walk down the road and walk on the parallel footpath just inside the Arboretum. There were a few visitors around the pond and aviaries this afternoon.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to The Arboretum