Oh this thread brings back memories of Sandy Powell's announcement in assembly that henceforth the Arboretum was to be out-of-bounds because boys were gallivantin' with the NGHS girls during the lunchtime recess. !rotfl!

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember my mother taking me to see the old cockatoo who was over 100 years old and the minah bird who mimicked us, I was only a small child then and was fascinated - it was a day out for us as

The Arboreum Aviaries

Lovely photograph lynmee, especially the clear and then the muted reflections in the lake. I often stand at this spot with my grand-daughter Sofia and feed the ducks. I've taken her on the Arboretum

Gallivantin`? gallivantin`? If you mean always good for a light or the share of a Park Drive - - - - hellothere

Good old 'Parkies' very popular in 60's Nottingham...................not so in the south, it was woodbines..................

Good old 'Parkies' very popular in 60's Nottingham...................not so in the south, it was woodbines..................

Woodies were popular in Nottingham too...it was all Players Weights further south.

MY MUM WOULD TAKE US TO SEE THE BIRDS IN THE AVIARIES ONCE A WEEK IF THE WEATHER WAS GOOD IN THE SCHOOL HOLIDAYS SHE LOVED THE MYINER BIRDS AND WOULD TALK TO THEM FOR HOURS . WE WOULD TAKE A PICKNIC AND IF WE WERE LUCKY WE GOT AN ICECREAM. THEN BACK TO VICTORIA MARKET DO SOME SHOPPING ACROSS THE RD BUS BACK TO NETHERFIELD.

Young ladies would oft' times venture to the arboretum, in the anticipation of seeing a cockatoo............................

Lol! :o)))))))))))))))

It was Parkies for me too. Used to buy individual fags from my mate's mother who worked in a newsagents down Sneinton Dale. Fags didn't give you cancer in the good old days <g>

When I was a small boy in the 1950s I had bad feet. This meant regular visits to the children's hospital behind Mansfield Road near the Forest cemetery. On occasions when the weather was fine my mother would take me to see the birds in the Arboretum and if we had some bread we would also feed the ducks on the pond whilst there.

How lovely that you've made a forum on the Arboretum. I love taking a walk on there with my grand-daughter: walking up at the back of the NGHS - the air there is fresh and intoxicating. We always run down the grassy hills and make our way to the lake to feed the ducks, then walk over to the aviaries where we tweet to the budgies and cockatiels.

Some lovely photographs have been put on of the place. Nottingham people seem to forget about this oasis within the city. The times I tell people that I've been on the Arboretum with my grand-daughter and they say: "oh I must remember to go on there."

It's lovely no matter what season, always well tended and during the Summer season the flower displays are wonderful. When I was a girl I loved to go on there and look at the dahlias. The place still grows them and shows them, in fact the last time I was on the Arboretum there was a massive line of them, all different colours and types.

Thankfully the Arboretum has been with us for some time now, let's hope this lovely garden flourishes forever. unionflag

That brings back memories bilpol47, used to stand for ages trying / or willing that bird to talk.

Peel Street too. Walking up the steep incline in the Arboretum and waving to my mum who'd recently given birth to my sister Andrea - the freezing cold February of 1956.

• 1 month later...

Good to be out - on the road again after a rotten illness:

On the tram going into Nottingham the other day I passed the Arboretum. The place was covered in a cruel, though enchanting frost. Not long, I thought before the Arboretum would do we citizens proud with its annual show of Spring's pretty bright flowers

Good to be out - on the road again after a rotten illness:

Christine

We hope you find yourself in better Fettle for the next Nottstalgia Meet up :)

any plans for one yet mick enjoy our meet ups and i know kat dose, look forward to the next one . anyone fancy a bit of live 60s music saturday carnaby rock on at the white hart from 9 pm meals served up till thenill be there

Hi Katyjay and Mick2me, thank you so much for your kindnesses. Not 100% yet but when I think back to all those weeks ago; the only way to describe how I felt was rotten.

It must be a time ridden cliche but 'your health is the most important thing'.

Good to be back posting, Christine. X for each of you.

Agreed! I am currently bent almost double with a pulled back and crikey does it hurt?!

Agreed! I am currently bent almost double with a pulled back and crikey does it hurt?!

Sorry to hear that Compo but no wonder - just look at the way you're slumped in that chair in your avatar.

Sit up straight lad!

Lovely photograph lynmee, especially the clear and then the muted reflections in the lake.

I often stand at this spot with my grand-daughter Sofia and feed the ducks. I've taken her on the Arboretum since she was a baby and now she's five.

We catch the tram there and from the top gates into the Arboretum she never stops running - I think it's the sense of freedom the place encourages.

I'll show her your photograph and a smile will appear on her face at being presented with a representation of a place she loves.

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to The Arboretum