• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember my mother taking me to see the old cockatoo who was over 100 years old and the minah bird who mimicked us, I was only a small child then and was fascinated - it was a day out for us as

The Arboreum Aviaries

Lovely photograph lynmee, especially the clear and then the muted reflections in the lake. I often stand at this spot with my grand-daughter Sofia and feed the ducks. I've taken her on the Arboretum

An essential place of serenity and peace needed in every city...forward thinking by the Victorians...pity the pillocks in the sixties didn't have the brains and forethought with the architecture and existing railway routes they destroyed.

Jackson, I have been by it loads of times, just never thought to go in...do they still have a festival in there? few bands..etc.. never been on a tram either..maybe I should use my bus pass and kill two birds with one stone :)

Curly

Curly, I use my bus pass to get me to the Arboretum; I take my young grand-daughter, she loves the freedom of running down the hills and pathways. I don't know whether the band stand is still used; going back a few years I remember a young American band playing in there. :smile:

I don't know whether the band stand is still used;

Still used I believe. There's a programme of events at the Arboretum. They have a Christmas carol concert there I think which sounds nice.

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3383#events

Quite like the look of this 'tree trail' too:

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/CHttpHandler.ashx?id=12862&p=0

I occasionally walk through the Arboretum when working around the city, it's stil a green and pleasant place (and something of a rare green place in the city centre these days).

I like the photos of the avenues at the top end of the Forest; nothing much seems to have changed there since my days of promenading with my first wife. Now, that reminds me of once I was with a pal who was 27ish, divorced and desperate. We stopped on Forest Road and asked a 'lady of the night' "How much?" and she said "More than you can afford; now p155 off!" She thought we were taking the Mickey, It was very funny.

:rotfl:

21st March, my most favourite day in all of the year and that's because it's the first day of Spring. :biggrin:

Google announced that this was so yesterday but they have it wrong, the 21st March is the first day of Spring and that's official - it's my 65th Birthday this coming March 24th and I consider I've been long enough on the earth to know that. :biggrin:

I love the multi colours of the flowers Spring has to offer: reds, yellows, purples, mauves; no doubt the Arboretum will do herself proud with these in the flower displays she has planned for the future. I'm looking forward to the weather warming and going for lots of walks with my five year old grand-daughter in this Oasis set within our fast paced City. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

We had ours in Caithness last Friday. What is it with these weathermen - why do they always give us the crap weather and other countries the best weather? What have we done to upset them so?

Daffs flowering in the garden, anemonies flowering, Flowering Currants in bloom, Crocus/snowdrops/aconites now all gone over.

With a requirement to pay an admission fee for the Castle nowadays there is very little opportunity central in the city for people to enjoy a little greenery these days. The arboretum, though a bonus, is a little off the beaten track for some visitors to the city, depending to a degree on which side they arrive from. I really think that admission to the Castle grounds only, as opposed to the house, should be free of charge, and not just to city residents.

• Upvote 1

You have to live within the city to get entry for £1? (Not Weekends BH etc!)

What about people like me who live local? Also is such as Carlton considered eligible

for cheap entry?

I think the charge goes up on a pro-rata sliding scale relating to how many times you breathe oxygen in during your visit Mick. Understand additionally that panoramic views over Castle Rock to the south of the city are planned to be charged at £1 per glimpse.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to The Arboretum