Are they still there?I haven't been that way for years.

I used to love going there as a kid to see all the exotic birds and pheasants.

This is from 2003...Don't know if it was still being used or not.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc217/raebhoop/arboretum10.jpg

I called on Arnot Hill park for the first time in years and was amazed to see a cracking aviary on there.Quite a new building dunno when it was built.Nothing over exotic in there...budgies,cockatiels,canary's and a few zebra finches.But very well set out with a water feature.

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc217/raebhoop/hecks121.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc217/raebhoop/hecks122.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc217/raebhoop/hecks141.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc217/raebhoop/hecks127.jpg

I'm glad to see they had the sense to make it scum proof with fancy steel gates for after hours.

Paul.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember my mother taking me to see the old cockatoo who was over 100 years old and the minah bird who mimicked us, I was only a small child then and was fascinated - it was a day out for us as

The Arboreum Aviaries

Lovely photograph lynmee, especially the clear and then the muted reflections in the lake. I often stand at this spot with my grand-daughter Sofia and feed the ducks. I've taken her on the Arboretum

"Cocky" the Sulpher Crested Cockatoo. Died in around 1968 and is buried in one of the aviaries in quite a fancy lump of concrete ,I well remember going there as a kid and getting him to say 'hello'

I wonder if the frequency of Aviaries in parks in the Nottingham area has anything to do with the coal mining in the area. Everybody knows that miners used canaries to detect carbon monoxide, but a large number of them also had budgies or pigeons!

I wonder if the frequency of Aviaries in parks in the Nottingham area has anything to do with the coal mining in the area. Everybody knows that miners used canaries to detect carbon monoxide, but a large number of them also had budgies or pigeons!

I've also known a handful of lads who've kept finches too. Lovely little things.

I've also known a handful of lads who've kept finches too. Lovely little things.

As a very young lad Iiving in Bilborough my next door neighbour bred Budgies.

Instead of killing the runts of the litter so tp speak my mum use to have them off him hence saving their necks being twisted.

Fifteen years ago I had two Budgies both of them died while my lad was looking after them while I and the wife were on holiday.

Since then I have never had any more but would fancy a cock-or-two now.....lol

Bip.

Sounds like a reasonable theory,Limey.

The Arboreatum aviary is certainly still there.

Believe there is also an aviary in Woodthorpe Grange Park as well as Arnot Hill?

My husband swears that he saw terrapins in the arbouretum pond a couple of years back

My husband swears that he saw terrapins in the arbouretum pond a couple of years back

I don't know a lot about collieries, but I do know they never took these things down t'pit

Believe there is also an aviary in Woodthorpe Grange Park as well as Arnot Hill?

There isn't an aviary at Woodthorpe but there are some carp in the Tropical House. :smile:

• 3 years later...

Anybody used to be taken there in their childhood to play and look at the birds.My fascination with birds started there when I was a kid.

They were first built in Victorian times...

1890s

9ddd8f19.jpg

The aviaries a few years back and a couple of views of the Arboretum...still worth a visit at any time of year...especially Autumn.

58d2eea5.jpg

7596976e.jpg

56bde5b2.jpg

There was talk of them being rebuilt...whether or not this is still the case I don't know.If they do they'll have to be secure like those in Arnold otherwise modern youth will break in and kill everything as they have done up and down the country...evil sods.

Arnot Hill Park...Well designed with security in mind.

ad30db9c.jpg

7b4af952.jpg

bf8be3c7.jpg

I think we've been here sometime back. I remember commenting on Cocky too , and seeing his grave later. I think it was in a thread we had running on old photos and guessing where they were taken, I'll have a scoure through the archives to see what i can come up with

Yep - I remember being taken to the Arboretum too but I had forgotten the aviaries! Still looks pretty much as I remember it but sad to hear the birds have gone.

I heard that the aviaries had been vandalised a while back and closed...whether there are plans to rebuild I don't know with all the cutbacks.Personally I think it would be a disgrace to give way to the vandals and not redesign them.

When I was at school we used to go on the Arboretum every day in the dinner time. We`d be marched down there in a 'crocodile', given a certain length of time to play and then had to line up in class order at the gate to be marched back to school. In the first and second years we would look at the aviary and play chasing games on the grass. By the 4th year it would be 'aving' a fag' behind the chinese bell thingy where the cannons were.

Ee - tecks yer back, dunnit?

Young ladies would oft' times venture to the arboretum, in the anticipation of seeing a cockatoo............................

• Cliff Ton changed the title to The Arboretum