It's the way I tell em...................Just couldn't resisit it, feel a bit cocky..........How is life in the Emerald Isle Ian ?...............

• 6 years later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I can remember my mother taking me to see the old cockatoo who was over 100 years old and the minah bird who mimicked us, I was only a small child then and was fascinated - it was a day out for us as

The Arboreum Aviaries

Lovely photograph lynmee, especially the clear and then the muted reflections in the lake. I often stand at this spot with my grand-daughter Sofia and feed the ducks. I've taken her on the Arboretum

• 5 weeks later...

I used to walk down from school at the top of Waverley Street, through the Arboretum and into town to catch my bus home.      One day my friend and I stopped on the grassy hill where there was a chap sitting holding a small pet monkey in a harness - I went to stroke it and it gave me a nasty bite!:angry2:

• 4 months later...

I remember the aviaries in the Arboretum but did any of the cages ever house monkeys?

I think there were animals in those outdoor cages when I was a child. The arboretum was a regular haunt for my family after tea on Sundays in fine weather. I have lots of photos taken there of our visits.  I didn't like the cages with creatures in them. It has always been a rabid dislike of mine to see animals caged. There was a peacock wandering about who occasionally displayed his tail feathers.

There were always beautifully planted flower beds in those days.

• Like 1

The peacock has a rather eerie call. I used to live near to someone who kept them and the peacock frequently appeared in my garden. I named him Percy but he never displayed his tail feathers for me.

• Upvote 1

Just received this from my brother:

According to someone who lived near the Arboretum for a long time: "The arboretum had a Capuchin monkey, it had white fur round it`s neck and sat on a bird table near the cockatoo.

They also had Toucans which would break the legs of pigeons if they got into the Aviary.

Do not know when the monkey was there or when it died.

Lord Snowdon designed the new Wire Aviary later."

I could do with some of those toucans, they’d sort out my pigeons at the allotment!

Strange really, I can’t ever remember going to the Arboretum as a child …… I lived in Arnold ….. not that far away!   The first time I ever remember going there was to the Arboretum Hotel for a drink with a friend to meet a relative of hers, one of the Burdett family of Sneinton, well-known barrow boys of this Parish.  Then good friends had their Wedding Reception at that hotel in 1974.  Since living within walking distance of the Arboretum I’ve been around there numerous times and never seen an Hotel …… where did it go? 

May I add, re the arboretum. At the North end there used to be a special school, for disabled children. This was approached along arboretum Street. My eldest son started his school life there back in 1972, after a disastrous start at a school in Bestwood, (we found out that the taxi driver who picked him up was leaving him sitting on the steps of the school about 20-30mins before any teacher arrived). Think it was called Gladehill, or something.

Arboretum school closed and moved to Aspley Wood school. I believe the arboretum premises is now 'Stepping Stones' nursery.     B.

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to The Arboretum

This shows several features mentioned earlier.

I don't remember it but I assume the hotel/pub/etc is the building in centre-left with the castellated roof. The large building in the background is the High School; and the Special School mentioned by Beekay is hidden in the trees on the right.

DVj8X0B.jpg

The Arboretum was a favourite haunt of Manning girls during the lunch break, during my time there.

We were not permitted to leave the premises until the fourth form but once we were allowed out, we walked across the Forest (crossing Gregory Boulevard with the aid of the footbridge outside Manning) and emerged onto Forest Road East, I think. From there, we somehow accessed The Arboretum.  I've had a look at the area on Streetview and it's clear that there have been a great many changes in the intervening decades.  I haven't been there since Manning days.

The footbridge across Gregory Boulevard, built especially for the Manning pupils, disappeared years ago.

Edited to add: I remember the castellated building in CT 's photo but can't recall ever seeing it open and in use.

Jill, the entrance you must have used would be at the North West, at the corner of Arboretum Street. That would be the nearest for you . The children at my lads school would be put outside in the afternoon, overlooking the park. The idea being to take the fresh air, for the 'delicate children.    B.

• Like 1