Where is this? said to be 1950's

Clifton Boulevard looking towards Derby Road big junction. If you were to stand here today you'd be under Dunkirk flyover. The road to Beeston is off the left. The old Dunkirk fire station is behind the photographer's right shoulder.

The photo i posted as "Guess where" a few days ago is just along from this. The three-storey building on the right of the photo I posted is the same as the one on the left here

Take a look at this http://www.lentontim...n_boulevard.htm which I've borrowed from Lenton Times. Click on the first photo on the left

The road in Ashley's original photo is the one going off to upper-middle right. The pile of rubble in the bottom left is the site of the not-yet-built ring road towards Clifton Bridge

Yes my thinking also, I recall the original flyover being built, a "temporary" single lane in each way girder affair that lasted for years, picture the past has it down as Aspley Lane/ Western Blvd 1950's, mind you there is a ? after it! Image Ref: NTGM018818

As much as that? looked more like £100 lol, built in 1968 the year after I did my grass tracking impression going round the old island, hope there's never a murder there, they'd probably find my DNA! Remember QMC also being built, and many moons before going down the then "main road" Lenton Lane with my dad on push bikes to visit "The Gun Factory" where he used to work and the Trent at site of now Clifton Bridge

Yes my thinking also, I recall the original flyover being built, a "temporary" single lane in each way girder affair that lasted for years,

Remember it well.

The sloping approach ramps to it were at such an angle that if you drove up them at a fair speed, when you levelled out at the top you could have all four wheels off the road

Lenton Times have quite a few photos of it in various stages of construction. Look at their Gallery page, then look at Clifton Boulevard and scroll down a bit.

flyover.jpg

• 2 months later...

I wouldn't have remembered it from the picture, you guys have sharper memories than me and in the late sixties I used to ride to and from work every day from Clifton to Simms Sons & Cook on Spring Lane Lenton before they closed it and built the Queens Med.

My dad used to be office manager at Simms Sons and Cooke on Spring Lane in the late 60's. His name was Fred Cresswell and he joined Simms on Haydn Road in 1937.

When Spring Lane closed to make way for QMC he moved out to Langar until he retired in 1976. He died in 2004. I've got his gold wrist watch presented to him for for 25 years service in 1962.

I visited the Spring Lane site a few times in the late 60's.I'd just started work at Boots in Beeston and the bus used to go under that funny flyover. I always thought it looked unsafe.

I remember your dads name but I couldn't put a face to it now, often went to haydn road as I was on the maintenance team, Fred Brooks was our gaffer. There was a fantastic steam engine there that had been used to power some of the machines by belt and pulley also they had their own well and water treatment plant, maybe thats why it was called "Spring Lane" or was it "close"

Yes cliff had a look when I first came across this thread, I remember the prefabs being made on a different site near bulwell but can't remember the place name. Sure I recall always seeing the golden ball pub and used to go down an old railway track looking for golf balls, the only other thing I recall is an old boiler house which had to have the chimney lowered that would be around 1968.