Nottingham brickmakers new book: local author

A local man, Mr J Sheard who I know well has just published an excellent book. It tells the story of brick making in Nottingham. It doesn't seem on the face of it a very exciting subject but it is a really interesting read with impeccable research and detail. There is a link here

http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/St-Pancras-Station-built-60m-Nottingham-bricks/story-13883837-detail/story.html

which gives details of where you can get it. It may seem rather expensive but a generous donation from each sale goes to charity and it has been self funded at considerable personal expense.

If you are looking for a Chrimbo present then this may well fit the bill.

I hasten to add that I have no personal interest in this venture but think some of you would enjoy this.

I agree it does look a very interesting book and I will probably treat myself to a copy, being in the brick making industry in the 70's 80's and 90's should bring back a few memories and with the railway interest as well he could be onto a winner,

Thanks for the heads up on this one

Roger

I lived on Marhill Road at Carlton 70s-90s.

There was a Marhill Brick works. We had people excavating the land

at the back of the house to find bricks with Marhill stamped in them.

Would be interested in any mention?

• 3 weeks later...

McCarthys White facing Bricks - made up Thames Street Bulwell with sand fron Culleys Quarry at Linby and Lime made from the Lime kilns constantly burning. Quite a few buildings made from these down Dunkirk opposite the scrap metal dealers. I lived on Dove Street and we used to stand outside Barber Ridge's shop on the corner of Thames Street cadging lifts in the lorry cabs during school holidays.

When my son knocked down an internal wall in his house at eastwood we found the bricks were stamped Wantnall Birick Co, top half of Woodthorpe Drive used to have quarries both sides, theres still walls of a bridge on it where a (I think) cable hauled railway ran under it, other old quarry/brickworks evidence can be found in Winchester St. area as well as the better known ones

other old quarry/brickworks evidence can be found in Winchester St.

Like this at the top of Woodborough Road. http://www.pictureth...003328&prevUrl= Looking at the area today it's difficult to know this ever existed

theres still walls of a bridge on it where a cable hauled railway ran under it,

And another here at Sherwood Station. http://www.pictureth...000431&prevUrl=

If you follow that line on the right, it eventually goes under a small bridge on Mapperley Rise/Winchester Street which still exists

• Upvote 1

Yes indeed, when I said Winchester St it was because I always refer to the roads from Mansfield Rd to Woodborough Rd as that, a habit picked up when working on the tower blocks of flats built about 1964, at the time rode my motorbike through the tunnel to Wells Rd, the quarry I always remember was the one behind the garage at corner of Woodthorpe Drive, about 1960 went "newting" round the yards, some were still working, inc the rope railway in parts, but the one mentioned flooded, some said very deeply, had great time on a wood and oil drums raft till we collided with a dead dog! stunk the place out once disturbed so we went home!