Nottingham Christmas Past

What are your memories of Christmases in Nottingham?

I remember the COOP was the place to see Santa.

Coop House used to have decorations to the front, including statues of three wise men in the large arched window above the main front entrance.

I would be taken as a kid, to see the Arcade decorations. It was akin to going to Oxford St in London to see theirs! A special treat. I don't remember the rest of Nottingham decorating for Christmas [as in street decorations]. I do remember going to Santa's grotto on the top floor of the Co-op though, every year. I remember getting a wooden pencil case one year and being ecstatic, I always wanted one. Simple times.

The Nativity Scene (behind the railings) outside the Methodist Church near to "The Bridge" on Parliament Street (Next door to Sainsburys) I recall there was a man sat there with a collection box, my Dad put some money in one year and I went past the man thinking we'd paid for a closer view ! , I was quit upset to find out to the contrary .

(Mind you I was all of about 5)

The Nativity Scene (behind the railings) outside the Methodist Church near to "The Bridge" on Parliament Street (Next door to Sainsburys) ✄

(Mind you I was all of about 5)

I too remember that nativity scene. It was a regular feature of Christmas throughout my teen years at secondary school. I used to catch the 3 & 59 bus to school from the bridge.