The School Playground

Following the memory jog from Jackson in the "Childhood Sounds" thread I thought 'What about all those other school yard games' :-

The first one is where a couple of kids would put an arm over each others shoulders and walk round the play ground chanting "Who's playing ...." (Army / football/ soldiers/ Robin Hood etc) Then when there were enough of us we'd split into two (In the case of Army ) then run around going ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba or huh huh huh huh huh!! etc and blowing the hell out of each other with our imaginary hand grenades!!

Loads of other stuff , for instance guess who was always Little John when we played Robin Hood ??

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Tough life, bein' a bone................................. !rotfl!

Good whip and tops with a proper leather lace can still be found but the tops are a bit on the light side to get a real good motion going when i was working as a play worker for city council one of m

...and if you were lucky enough to get (or inherit) a bicycle - the world was your playground. To me it was better than an airline ticket!

I recall Peter Kay doing a bit about it in one of his shows !! particularly the ba ba ba ba ba ba of the imaginary machine guns !

I can see us now , me , Eddie Quinn, Steve Marriot, Ian Ramsden, Andrew Mann, Stephen Commery, Noel Hallam, et al , all lined up arm in arm doing the chants . I've just gone back 40 years !!

Slight variation on that one of walking around........I remember kids would do it to start a game of football and they'd wander round chanting/asking for volunteers for the two sides in football.

Problem is....they'd take so long to go round getting the players that the match itself only lasted a few minutes before playtime ended and everybody went back inside. Then the whole process would start again at the next break for another 3 minute football match

That reminds me (In a different tack altogether) of the footy matches we had on Sunday afternoons. Everybody used to turn up, when I say everybody, I mean EVERYBODY . 20/30 a side at times . You were lucky to get a kick of the ball , never mind score a goal !!

• 2 weeks later...

I know it was only 11-15 years ago for me being back at primary school.. But ill allways remember the indoor playtimes, when it was too wet outside to play. & the teachers kindly got the lego out, boom.. Oh how we all got excited & had lego house building compotitions, none of us ever won though mind.. We was all too adoment that our house was the best!

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the fifties I was at South County Primary, we had to go out at playtime no matter what the weather. I would imagine it would be the same at most schools in those days.

I can remember walking to school in snow deeper than my wellingtons, in pea-souper fogs, and in torrential rain. The idea of school closing because of bad weather was unheard of.

I'm starting to sound like the four Yorkshiremen, I'll get my gaberdine mac.

Similar to Beefsteaks story. us girls used to walk the playground arm in arm shouting 'anybody want to play 'There came a Duke- a riding ........no boys allowed'

Cant for the life of me remember what 'There came a duke a riding' was all about.

also used to play whip and top (either with a mushroom top or one like a bullet). i seem to remember that used to crop up around easter time though im not sure why. Also 'ticky bob down', and elastic skipping :unsure:

we used to play whip & top, remember the 'whip' was a strip of leather on a stick, we lads would wet the leather............then the 'sedate'game of whip n' top would graduate in to whipping each others bare legs (short trousers), that dinnarfsting!!

Also recall we called it 'whip & top day', shrove Tuesday rings a bell??

I think my generation was the end of 'Whip and Top' !! We had both "Bullets and Mushrooms" but nobody had a bloody clue how to make them work !!

As regards the Shrove Tuesday/Whip and Top connection , Jesus and him being whipped to buggery on the way to the cross over Easter maybe?

I saw a little girl about 20 years ago with a whip and top...I had a look at it,the top was plastic and the whip had a piece of string that was rapidly fraying....used to be leather didn't it? I got quite good with the old 'Window Breaker' when I was a pan lid. As for marbles I had the mandatory draw string bagful...some ancient and scratched, added to when Mum was in a giving mood by some of those bright glass ones with a twist of colour in the middle.

Used to have a whip and top, we also used to play The Farmers in his Den i always used to be the bone as i was so small and skinny in those days and it was easy for my mates to throw me up in the air

• 2 weeks later...

I used to have a whip and top my Dad made me the whip it had a leather strap and it you hip the top hard enough it used to make a cracking sound, nearly got it taken off me at school tho cause i belted someone with it for calling me names lol

And as for being the bone i am still recovering from that. can anyone remember playing "a leg and a wing"?

I had forgotten the cup 'n' ball game. When in Punta Arenas a few years ago a street vendor sold me this home-made peg and ball game. Flick up the ball and catch on the peg. when I first saw it I thought it was a whip and top game.

IMG_2764.JPG?gl=GB

Hi Carlton Gal, I remember playing 'a leg and a wing' - great fun. In fact I still do play it - have always done - you should see the look on my five year old grand-daughters face when I ask her if she wants to play it. The higher she gets swung the more she enjoys.