Espresso Coffee Bar.

Can anyone remember the EL-Toreador Coffee Bar ,on Burton St, opposite the collage

a regular hang out for teens in the 1950,s. had some good local groups on a stage at the

rear , served some good food, and best Espresso coffee in Nottingham.

• 2 years later...

I used to drink their delicious coffee in the mid to late 1950's when an engineering student at the nearby College. The upstairs room, decorated with various fishing nets, seaweed, shells, octopus and other sea faring creatures was called "THE SARGASSO". For character, atmosphere, service and coffee taste it was in my opinion unrivalled. Todays coffee chains ..... no comment.

Among my family history records, I have a note saying that one of my Mam's cousins called Ray owned an espresso shop somewhere up Mansfield Road, opposite side from Victoria Station - Burton Street would fit - whereabouts on the street was it? I'd like to look it up in the archives to see whether I can make the link and tie down the date of ownership/occupancy if it were Ray. Mam reckons it might have been the first espresso shop in town. El Toreador is an interesting name - cousin Ray retired to Spain in later life.

• Upvote 1

Looking at poohbear's Streetview image, this is the area on the right (where the posters are on the theatre wall today) in the 1960s, so the Espresso could be in the old buildings towards the left of the photo.

burton3a.jpg

And going back a bit further, this is the site of the Newton Building before the Newton Building existed.

burton1a.jpg

My memories of the El T are from its origins, along with the normal electrical installation that one would expect for that type of premises there were hidden Microphones all over the place so the strange person who owned it could listen to what people were saying about him. This guy also owned a car who's previous owner was I believe Mussolini, there was a report in the Nottm Post regarding the car.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

I remember many happy hours sitting in El Toreador over a cup of espresso coffee (2/6d I think) with a crowd of friends. There was the Sargasso upstairs, and also a coffee bar downstairs.

There were quite a few nice coffee bars in Nottingham, and we all had our favourites. The Bohemian was another favourite.

Good coffee, good times

• Upvote 3

I remember many happy hours sitting in El Toreador over a cup of espresso coffee (2/6d I think) with a crowd of friends. There was the Sargasso upstairs, and also a coffee bar downstairs.

2/6? Doubt it...Coke was only 1/- in those days,and I doubt coffee was more.

A lot of deaf guys used to go in the 49 Coffee Bar next to the Toreador.

• 7 years later...