Emett water clock...and other clocks

And so to this week...........

THURSDAY 26-JUN

Had been at work in the morning so got to MP around 1430hrs. Wasn't expecting Spider + driver until 1530hrs so had a look around the clock. I then saw that the shims I had used on the Cobweb Wheel bearings were coming out and one or two were completely out (still captive on the shaft). I took the outer bearing and its shims off. They were smothered in oil - must have oozed out of the Oilite bearing as we hadn't added extra lube. I cleaned the shims then glued them together to make one solid mass. I tried to refit the bearing + shim but it was tight (the film of glue must have added to the diameter). I tried tapping with a hammer (and a wooden spacer of course) but it wasn't having it. The Spider + driver turned up as did Tim. I asked Tim to give me a lift to take the wheel off the clock and lay it down. The shims for the inner bearing fell out as well. The Spider was only available for two hours so I donned a harness and abandoned the wheel for now.

I accessed the Top Feature drive (that rubber-faced pulley to which I had glued a strip). The strip was still there but obviously slipping (the pulley drives against a steel turntable). I had decided that the only way to go was to remove the pulley assembly (wheel + swivel arm with cycle bottom bracket). It was only held by a split pin but access was limited. Anyway, I got it off. I ripped the synthetic rubber strip off, cleaned up the wheel and managed to get a section of inner tube over it (I had help). Refitting was a bit fiddly - slide arm onto a swivel pin at the same time as holding a plunger against a spring and locating the drive shaft below - needed three hands and only had two. Eventually it slipped into place. Stood back and switched on - it started up slowly and then ground to a halt. We went up in the Spider again and I sprayed it with belt dressing (it supposedly helps with grip) - no better.

I took the assembly off again and away to a bench with a vice. Between three of us we managed to fold the first section of inner tube back on itself to double the thickness and then get a second piece over it. I glued the edges down with spray-on Evostick (other brands of impact adhesive are available). Back to the Spider, repeat the struggle to fit it, down, out, stand back, switch on and ........ it worked. Now don't switch it off again!

Back to the Cobweb Wheel: hammer + timber + solid floor and I got both bearings back in. Tim and I offered the wheel back onto its shaft - it went on but had one or two tight spots - not good. Tried engaging its drive and the rubber pulley just slipped. the outer bearing had been the tighter of the two so I suspected some deformity had crept in. I used an engineering technique to find the high spots on bearing and shaft and worked at these with some fine emery tape. The fit improved and though I wasn't entirely happy with it, the drive seemed to turn it adequately. A couple of flowers dropped off so I refitted them (must have vibrated loose). Left the wheel running and turned attention to the Orchestra turntable, which had been getting sluggish and would sometimes stop when it shouldn't.

There were some step ladders nearby so I accessed the Sunflower and removed a section of orchestra floor. First I sprayed the rubber drive pulley with that there belt dressing stuff - no good. Next I decided that the tensioning spring could be shortened a little so did that. The drive between the motor's pulley and the turntable seemed better but again it stopped at one point. The drive pulley was similar to the one we had been working on for the Top Feature. However, this one was 5" compared with the other one being 4" so there was no way we would be able to stretch inner tube over that. I had a length of synthetic rubber belting around 2mm thick and 60mm wide so I decided to glue a strip of that over the pulley. To facilitate this I had to remove the motor assembly from the Sunflower (not too difficult except I was at full reach leaning over the copper petals, which were a bit sharp - I gashed my jeans so they had to go in the bin when I got home). I glued two layers of belt over the wheel and refitted it. The Orchestra rotated as it should - no hesitation.

It was now around 8:30pm. We were about to leave when the doorknob fell off the wheel (for some reason Rowland decided that there should be a doorknob fixed to the rim of the wheel). I fixed that back on and we left.

to be continued...

Engineer

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yet another update! We've put some serious hours in this week, building the clock in Birmingham (Millennium Point - access is free if you are anywhere near but read on to understand what you might

Thank you for the kind comments, especially from those of you who have followed me on this journey. On location, I think the natural daylight is great - it is after all meant to be a sunflower, cobwe

Nope, not TT. On the matter of drinking, each day I've worked within that enclosure has been physically exhausting because of the heat and humidity - somewhere between a greenhouse and a sauna. Have

Posted Images

FRIDAY 27-JUN

Tim sent me a text to say that he had called by and the wheel had stopped. He said he nudged it and it started up again. I didn't like the sound of this because it might mean that the geared motor is getting stressed if the wheel is still too tight (and that was the brand new motor that cost around £300+VAT). I said I'd visit again a.s.a.p. to ease the wheel.

Engineer

I'm assuming it's bearings are sleeve??? If so, isn't there a way of adding sealed ball bearings???

Originally there was a fixed shaft and the wheel had two flanged bronze bushes. At some point in the clock's history, it was modified (were I to be unkind I'd say butchered) to fit two ball bearings in plummer blocks behind the wheel. That was obviously done without careful consideration of the load and moments about the axis. The shaft, the bushes and the wheel were all pinned together and rotated as one. The ball bearings were too close together and ultimately failed on more than one occasion due to excessive lateral loading.

I proposed that during restoration we revert to the original configuration. This wasn't simple because we had to reinstate with careful alignment several steel tubes that had been cut away. The original shaft and bearings were damaged so we procured a new shaft (imperial size 1-1/4" diameter) and imperial flanged sintered bronze bearings(AJ2026-20). For slow moving parts (the wheel speed is 6.4RPM) this is a good choice.

Engineer

TODAY - SATURDAY 28-JUN

I visited Brum this morning. The wheel was rotating but the rubber tyre on the drive shaft had a groove in it about 4mm deep where it had been turning against a stopped or slow moving wheel.

I spent as long as it took to lap the bearings and shaft to a point where I could turn the wheel with one hand gripping the central hub. I fitted a new rubber tyre.

To press the rubber tyre against the drive hub on the wheel I had devised a swinging arm with a counterweight. I was now able to shift the counterweight to reduce the pressure to a minimum, which should increase the life of the rubber tyre.

After Thursday's incidents of bit falling off the wheel, I systematically removed each flower and butterfly bearing block (and the door knob) and applied threadlock to the screws be fore refitting.

Well I think I'm done for now. Do let me know if you go to see it at Millennium Point.

Engineer

• 3 weeks later...

Got a message today to say the animals aren't spinning when the should. I guess this means the orchestra players. I'll arrange to visit Birmingham within a few days to look at this (though looking ain't gonna fix it - must take spanners and a meter).

Engineer.

• Upvote 1

Visited the clock this morning. Cobweb Wheel and Top Feature both running normally. At 08:45, the bell struck, the petals dropped and the music started. However, the Orchestra didn't budge, though I could hear the motor running. I borrowed some step ladders to get up close and remove some covers. As I had now surmised, the two lengths of belt that I had glued to the drive pulley (26-Jun) were lying loose, having somehow come adrift. I removed the geared motor assembly.

I still had the rest of the inner tube that I had previously used to enhance the drive for the Top Feature but there was no way I could stretch it enough to fit over the five inch Orchestra pulley (it had been a job and half to get it over the Top Feature's four inch pulley). However, I experimented by cutting diagonally to create a band that was "S" shaped when laid flat. I was able to stretch this over the pulley. It didn't lie quite flat but I decided to go with it and cut another similar strip to fit over the first one. I refitted the motor and it ran OK so I left it like that. Let's hope it lasts until we next dismantle the clock.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 month later...

Well, it didn't last - I got a message within a day or two to say the Orchestra had stopped again. I emailed Tim, suggesting that the inner tube "rubber bands" must have come off. I offered some options as to what we do next. I said we really needed a new wheel or for the existing one to be refurbished. I found a source of supply for either nylon or cast iron wheels with rubber tread but these generally come with bearings (designed for castors). To use such a wheel would mean removing the bearings, probably needing to machine it out and to fit some sort of fixed centre with a 1/2" diameter hole for the shaft of the geared motor.

However, the geared motor is also "on its last legs" (bearings noisy, casing corroded and cracked). If I spend time and effort sorting a new wheel, when we come to renew the motor that wheel will be too loose (old motor: imperial 1/2", new motor: metric 12mm). trouble is there's a lead time on the motor so we couldn't effect a quick fix.

WEDNESDAY 27-AUG

Decision time: I bought a rubber-treaded nylon wheel and set about modifying it. Taking the bearings out left a hole around 30mm diameter. I found a piece of aluminium bar, made it fit and drilled out the centre to 12.5mm (didn't have 1/2" drill bit to hand). I drilled five angled holes and tapped them M5 to secure the wheel in the absence of a key. I left home at 5pm, taking the wheel to Birmingham. Accessing the Orchestra drive from a step-ladder, I saw that the inner tube was off the wheel and wrapped around the drive shaft; in fact it was melted on in places. I couldn't do much in-situ so I removed the whole assembly. With some effort I got the old wheel and bits of inner tube off. The new wheel wouldn't fit (that 12.5mm hole I drilled needed to be 12.7mm) so I filed the hole until it would go on. I refitted the assembly and powered on. The motor could be heard whirring but Orchestra stood still. I concluded that the gearbox must be broken so removed the assembly again. I sat on the plinth and started dismantling the gearbox. I quickly deduced that a shaft wasn't driving a worm gear and could see the remnants of a pin through the shaft.

It was getting late so I decided to take the assembly away as I needed access to a bench and more tools. Got home at 10pm so deferred to next day to continue.

Engineer

• Upvote 1

Next day...

THURSDAY 28-AUG

Stripped the geared motor sufficiently to get the shaft and worm out. Washed the dirty grease out. Removed bits of the old pin; sourced and fitted suitable new pin. Reassembled gearbox, using threadlock liquid as necessary (don't want it vibrating loose and unlikely to dismantle again). Not able to test but should be good to go. Doesn't sound much but that was two hours there!

Plan to visit Birmingham tomorrow to refit.

Engineer

• Upvote 1

FRIDAY 29-AUG

Took the geared motor assembly back - took 20 minutes to fit and it worked fine. Waited and watched three performances; it was still going strong so I returned home contented.

Now... A few impending events:

On Monday 08-Sep we are having a get-together in Birmingham of those involved in moving and renovating for display. Who knows, there may be a photographer there!

At the weekend 13/14 September there's a convention of the Emett Society, taking in the clock (Millennium Point) and all the other Emett "things" at the Birmingham Gas Hall. Anyone interested can probably find information on the Emett Society web pages.

In week commencing 15-Sep we have to dismantle the clock (I think Millennium Point need the space for something else). It has to go into storage but location isn't sorted yet.

After that the Society and I get time to do more work on the clock and you and I have to wait until sometime next year to see it up and running again in Nottingham.

The Engineer

• Upvote 4

I use blue loctite thread glue on chainsaw screws and bolts, they never work loose and always come apart reasonably easy..If it can stand the vibration of a chainsaw engine/cutting trees down, it will stand anything.

Today we visited the Millennium Point at Birmingham, specially to view the Rowland Emett Water Clock. The Clock looked absolutely Beautiful. Congratulations to The Engineer and Team for all the hard work you have put in. When we arrived, it was just after 3.15pm, so we sat and admired the Clock untill 3.30pm, when the show began! As the Petals opened up and the clock went into its magical action, it was a pleasure to see again. We look forward to seeing the Clock back home in Nottingham once more. Well done for all the dedication of the team who have made the Clock Sparkle as new again

• Upvote 3

Thank you for the feedback Carni. I'm sure you'll agree that there will be renewed interest when the clock is back home, as it looks quite different from what people will remember before we removed it in February. Also bear in mind you've seen it dry - the addition of water will further enhance the impact. A visitor said to me "You can just watch it like fire or water."

Engineer

• Upvote 2

As a fellow engineer, and one who remembers the clock when it was first unveiled, I have been following this story with great interest. I wish I was there to help you in your endeavors, but distance and airfares make that impossible. However, I can say that when the clock is re-installed in Nottingham, I will make the effort to bring my wife, and possibly my son, to see the clock in its full glory! They have both heard about the wonders of the clock, and how it would entrance children and adults alike with its wonders, but sadly did not have the same attraction in recent years!

I congratulate you in your efforts to bring this Nottingham monument back to its full glory. We may have lost Victoria Station, but at least we can hold on to the amazement of Emett's clock!

• Upvote 1

Thank you for the feedback Carni. I'm sure you'll agree that there will be renewed interest when the clock is back home, as it looks quite different from what people will remember before we removed it in February. Also bear in mind you've seen it dry - the addition of water will further enhance the impact. A visitor said to me "You can just watch it like fire or water."

Engineer

I remember thinking what a waste of money this clock was when it was unveiled in 1973 but my view has changed over the years and I think the restoration is a real triumph for The Engineer. I moved away from Nottingham in 1976 but have returned on many occasions mainly for Goose Fair and visits to Meadow Lane but not the shopping centre for a long long time. It was only last year I took my wife into The Victoria Centre to show her the clock. It was hugely disappointing to see how run down it had become so I've followed this thread with great interest. From the pictures it would seem you have achieved a minor miracle and the good people of Nottingham should be indebted to you for your magnificent effort. I for one am ready to make a special pilgrimage to The Centre just to see your wonderful restoration first hand when it returns. Heartfelt thanks from a converted cynic.

• Upvote 3

We took some photo's of the Clock at the Millenium Point yesterday and will put a couple on Nottstalgia around 5pm when my helper arrives! Of Course like The Engineer said "the clock is dry at the moment". When it arrives back in Nottingham next year, I will make a Bee Line to see it in action with the addition of Water.

Thank you for the photos Carni and Enigma1st. And well done on a most fantastic restoration job The Engineer. It is marvellous to see it as it was and should be. I look forward to seeing it back home in Victoria Centre next year. Perhaps people didn't seem to have much regard for it in the latter years, but it was still a main focal and meeting point in Nottingham. I remember when it was first put in, and waiting for the music to start. On many occasion I'd be in Jessops (as it was then) hear the first strikes of the hour and rush out to watch the clock perform.

I would imagine it will be a major draw for visitors again next year and for some time to come.

• Upvote 2

Indeed you did Fynger, sorry I missed you off my thank you's hellothere

It is lovely to see it restored to its former glory.

Nice Photo Fynger,

I am sorry as well that I didn't say so. Haven't they done a Brilliant job on it! Afraid my photo is to small to see the detail, but you and Enigma have captured the magic for us all to view. :biggrin:

Great pictures.

It looks like you were sitting astride the framework to take a couple of the shots.

Reading back through The Engineers posts it would seem the guy invested a massive amount of time and effort into this project. I think I remember him writing about the time he worked through the layers of paint on the frame to discover the original aqua green that was first applied, and then his efforts to find an available match. This is just one example of his dedication to restore the clock to as close as the original as possible. I think this guy was a Forensic Scientist in a former life! Absolutely brilliant. I hope he gets a mention on the plaque and a write up in the NEP

• Upvote 2

Though I did the electrical uplift on my own in 2012, the work this year has involved several other people. My role has centred around electrical and mechanical engineering (including the saga I have blogged here of getting it all functional after assembly) but others have done metal fabrication/welding, paint stripping/blasting, powder coating, brass and copper polishing, butterfly fettling, and generally getting through buckets of elbow grease. Tim of the Emett Society has coordinated throughout, as well as managing the large exhibition of other Emett works on display at the Birmingham Gas Hall.

Engineer

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Emett water clock...and other clocks