Emett water clock...and other clocks

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yet another update! We've put some serious hours in this week, building the clock in Birmingham (Millennium Point - access is free if you are anywhere near but read on to understand what you might

Thank you for the kind comments, especially from those of you who have followed me on this journey. On location, I think the natural daylight is great - it is after all meant to be a sunflower, cobwe

Nope, not TT. On the matter of drinking, each day I've worked within that enclosure has been physically exhausting because of the heat and humidity - somewhere between a greenhouse and a sauna. Have

Posted Images

And just as important, Engineer, You have kept us updated and taken us step by step through all the phases of removing it from Victoria centre to rebuilding, restoring, and I should imagine it's long awaited return to it's home town in time. It has seemed almost as if we have been at your side throughout the operation, something which many will not have experienced. To some it will simply be, it was there, it wasn't, it's back "look how shiny it is"....but we know all the intricacies too. What a privilege for us Nottstalgians.

• Upvote 4

What darkazana said - but I also know that, despite the frustrations, it will have been a LOT of fun and a major learning experience to work on the clock! Not to mention a chance to "get inside" the head of one of Britain's leading engineer/artists of our time!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I joined a chosen few last Monday for a 'drinks reception' at Millennium Point. There were a few representatives from intu Victoria Centre and the clock was working (just about - the Orchestra motor was a bit intermittent).

Got a message a couple of days ago to say there had been a loud 'motor noise' and that they had switched the clock off in fear of what might develop. Went this morning to investigate; trouble was that they had unplugged the lead, coiled it back and replaced the floor tile that covers the sockets. Not a problem per se but they couldn't find the 'special tools' to lift the tile. After a bit of a delay I hooked up a temporary supply with an extension lead and powered up. The only noise I heard was from the motor that drives the 'Top Feature' (the mobile/pendant thing), which was squeaking and its bearings were rattling - I decided it wasn't going to burst into flames or anything so I didn't disconnect it.

The 'special tools' (two curved lengths of M10 threaded rod with hose pipe sleeving) turned up behind the reception desk so I re-instated the supply, re-taped the flex to the floor and set the clock to the right time (sounds simple but I had to synchronise the chimes). I sat and watched it for around an hour and it behaved.

We have confirmed this Thursday 18th for dismantling (Friday as well if needed) so I should be there all day for that.

Engineer.

• Upvote 2

Were you thinking of Mr Kipling's if?

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:
If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’
If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!
  • Upvote 3

and back to the topic of the thread...

Here's how the dismantling went:

Thursday 18 September 2014

Started disassembly, working mainly with Shain (technician at MP) and the Spider MEWP. Tim took parts away (clock faces, petals, bouquet, etc.). We struggled to lift the clock tower (tube on tube fixing – it had been tight on assembly). We separated the tower but its flange was still stuck fast. We diverted attention to petal removal. We returned to the flange and managed to get it off by oscillating while lifting with timber. There was a discussion, including engineering managers, over how to remove the Sunflower as use of the Spider as a crane was now forbidden. Plan was to use a portable tower platform and step ladders. I had reservations, knowing how heavy the sunflower was. Knocked off around 1745hrs.

Friday 19 September 2014

Further discussion regards Sunflower. Think Tank technicians produced and assembled the tower scaffold. Assessing its weight, consensus was that it would not be safe to attempt to lower the Sunflower while reaching from step ladders. The Sunflower clearly weighed less than the Spider basket plus two persons, so it was agreed to use the Spider, despite the restrictions in place. A strap was wrapped around the Spider arm and the centre frame of the Sunflower. From step ladders, we stabilised it as it was lowered onto a pallet. The control box was then lowered to the ground in the same manner. That just left the frame which we moved on a pallet truck, followed by man-handling through a double doorway. That involved lifting and tilting, much as we had done during installation, way back in June. Tim took more parts away, leaving the large and heavy bits to be collected mid-week (Sunflower, turntable, cobweb wheel, control box, lower tower and main frame).

Parts now in storage - I need to check where! (somewhere between here [Nottm] and Birmingham).

Engineer

• Upvote 5
  • 1 month later...

So what are we supposed to do now if we need the use of the no longer there facilities???? And is it my eyes or have the escalators moved?

The loo in the Vic Centre is further in on the right now. Oh and there is also a loo in the Victoria Market (in the Vic Centre?)

I didn't have to pay on Greyhound Street a couple of weeks ago and there was no suggestion that I should have

• 2 weeks later...

So what happened to the Time Fountain (Emett Clock) foundation stone that was in the floor? Do you suppose they have they tiled over it? I know it was cracked but had hoped it would be resurrected to go back with the clock on its return.

Engineer

Why can't they leave things alone. ?......a lot of people, (especially the older generation) loved the clock and seatIng area......There was nothing wrong with it the way it was.......Money could have been spent on more needy things........

• Upvote 1

Hope the clock does come back to Notts. We last saw it at Millenium Point Birmingham. Believing it was being retuned to Nottingham in the New Year? Fingers Crossed that nothing has changed. :)

Congratulations on 5,000 posts Miduck thumbsup

• Upvote 2
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Emett water clock...and other clocks