Emett water clock...and other clocks

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yet another update! We've put some serious hours in this week, building the clock in Birmingham (Millennium Point - access is free if you are anywhere near but read on to understand what you might

Thank you for the kind comments, especially from those of you who have followed me on this journey. On location, I think the natural daylight is great - it is after all meant to be a sunflower, cobwe

Nope, not TT. On the matter of drinking, each day I've worked within that enclosure has been physically exhausting because of the heat and humidity - somewhere between a greenhouse and a sauna. Have

Posted Images

Thank you for the kind comments, especially from those of you who have followed me on this journey.

On location, I think the natural daylight is great - it is after all meant to be a sunflower, cobweb and various flora and fauna. The daylight will do them good!

On seating, I am pleased that there is no seat backing onto the clock; should mean it is more visible. I've heard there will be seating in the general area so that you can sit away from the clock and gaze at it (or eat your lunch or whatever).

Haven't seen or heard any coverage yet on TV or radio. If I were in shot, I was wearing a dark suit. Emma and I are off to NottsTV to be on the 6:30 show tonight.

Pete

• Upvote 7

Just watched the last few minutes about the clock on your local BBCNews. It looks lovely ...

• Upvote 1

Yes, that is Emma and me. We've just come away from NottsTV studio. It was the 6:30 show, to be repeated later this evening.

• Upvote 1

You scrub up well Engineer! You must be very proud after all the hard work yourself and your colleagues have put in.

My avatar is of course Frederick Rowland Emett. Will have to change it for my next project.......................

TBI: It was Emma and me on telly, both BBC and NottsTV.

• Upvote 2

So far I have only seen the photos, so look forward to seeing the clock in action next time we visit Nottingham. Thank you so much for sharing all your hard work, Engineer. It has been a fascinating journey, a project of which you should be very proud and which will enchant many generations to come. Well done.

• Upvote 1

I went to see the clock on Wednesday on my way to the meet up. It was about 7.30pm and there was only a couple

of people around and it looked magnificent. Much better without the seating cluttering it up.

Thank you Engineer a job well done.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Was invited to address the assembly at Emma's school this morning. Headteacher introduced me and showed the footage from NottsTV. A few hands were raised so we took a couple of questions:

Q. Are you REALLY an engineer? A. Yes, I've been an engineer for over forty years.

Q. If you've been an engineer for over forty years, how old are you?

The innocence of childhood - priceless.

• Upvote 6
  • 2 weeks later...

Re #262. I was looking at it on Wednesday and I thought it looked all forlorn with only two bench seats nearby.

However there was plenty of cash in the water, including two 50 pence pieces, so some folk must be desperate for their wishes to come true.

Only one Red Bull can in it too. Things are looking up, but a few more seats would be an improvement.

All the money thrown in for at least the next year will go to the charity "When you wish upon a Star". The overarching wish is surely for the children with life-threatening illnesses who are supported by the charity to be brought a little bit of happiness to ease their pain and suffering.

www.whenyouwishuponastar.org.uk/

• Upvote 3

In America, wherever there is a water feature you will see lots of coins resting on the bottom. The canal at the Venice complex in Las Vegas has enough to settle America's national debt!

• 2 months later...

Comment from a member of staff at Victoria Centre :

We're keeping the clock in good working order, you may have noticed that the coins in the pond are rusting and the wood stain has run so we're fixing that. Plus we're oiling the butterflies so that they move more smoothly, and polishing the whole clock so that it stays looking good. It's already been over 3 months since the clock came home! Essentially we're keeping the clock well maintained just like we said we would, and we can't work on it while the pond is full of water. This will happen whenever the clock needs some tlc.

I hope they are true to their word and continue to look after it. Given that they have decided to give it 'a coat of looking at' after just three months of operation, I'd say that bodes well for the future. Let's remember that despite the restoration work we did, it's now 43 years old and the majority of the parts are original - bits will continue to wear (while it runs) and corrode (while it sits in a chlorinated pool).

Great to hear that the good folk of Nottingham and our most welcome visitors have flipped 1,250 quid in so far, all going to 'When You Wish Upon a Star'

The Emett Engineer

• Upvote 3

Oiling the butterflies, good grief, the bloody things only been back three months. Didn't they oil the thing prior to re erection.

The whole situation is rapidly becoming farcical. Still not sufficient seating either.!!!!

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Emett water clock...and other clocks