Emett water clock...and other clocks

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yet another update! We've put some serious hours in this week, building the clock in Birmingham (Millennium Point - access is free if you are anywhere near but read on to understand what you might

Thank you for the kind comments, especially from those of you who have followed me on this journey. On location, I think the natural daylight is great - it is after all meant to be a sunflower, cobwe

Nope, not TT. On the matter of drinking, each day I've worked within that enclosure has been physically exhausting because of the heat and humidity - somewhere between a greenhouse and a sauna. Have

Posted Images

I think it did strike the quarters at one time but, as a child, I loved to see it strike the hour because both little figures struck the anvil. As I remember, it was quite a musical clock. The sound was produced by the mechanism, I would think.

Went to look today - sadly the clock was not working.  The east clockface was showing about 2:22 and the west clockface was showing about 4:05. The same times are evident on Google Streetview so I suspect it hasn't worked for quite some time.  Both chaps appear to have lost their aprons.  The casing bearing 'LEWIS & GRUNDY' appears to be wooden and looking a bit weathered.  It would be good to get a closer view but I reckon it is about 18-20 feet from the ground and Victoria Street is sloping so access would not be straightforward.

Thought your favourite 'Tread' was ''Word Games'' Red.........

Mine is ''Waxing Lyrical'' about places like the Locarno...

The clock needs some TLC.  I was told that they are doing some work on it next month.  I await to hear further.

I wonder who is the owner or person/business with responsibility, i.e. who would have to foot the bill (and the ladder) to sort it out?  The 'Pit & Pendulum' might just be tenants.

As an engineer, I would like to see how it worked.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Emett water clock...and other clocks

I’d like to get my hands on that clock. I’ve restored a number of antique clocks in the past. The mechanisms are uncomplicated and easy to work on. I imagine it would be better to send it back to Copes who built it in the first place. I doubt anyone will claim ownership as they wouldn’t want to be saddled with the restoration cost. With health and safety regs it will require the erection of a scaffold platform rather than just a ladder. These days maybe a road closure! :biggrin:

Or access from a MEWP/cherry picker.

I read that Copes were taken over by Smiths of Derby around 1984.

Cherry picker is the best idea. I see Smiths of Derby are in to refurbishing church clocks but I guess you could could fix it for a reasonable fee! We now have to establish ownership and raise the funds. It needs to be sited at a reliable civic site to ensure ongoing access for maintenance. Who's going to kick this off?

Anyone going to the Beeston U3A Emett talk at Chilwell Road Methodist Church, Beeston tomorrow morning? Starts about 10:30. Couple of quid for non-members.

• Like 1

Repairs, cleaning, etc. of the Emett Clock is scheduled to start on 05 September and complete on 30 September.  I am not directly involved but will keep you posted as and when I hear more.

There will be hoardings around it during that period.

• 2 months later...

Spent a few hours fettling the Emett Clock this morning.

The Vic Centre maintenance team have cleaned and repainted it where needed over the past few weeks.  I was invited in for a media event yesterday (interviewed by Mark Dennison - Radio Nottingham) and while there, noted that it wasn't fully functioning, hence my offer to visit this morning.

I got it sorted and left it fully working at midday.

It does seem temperamental; it has a few rattles and some leakage of oil/grease from gearboxes, but it is 50 years old now!

• Like 3

My interview with Mark Dennison aired this morning as part of a segment on the Emett Clock.  Just listened on catchup.  He spoke first to 'David' who designed a new butterfly to replace a missing one, followed by my bit at around 10:54hrs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
7 hours ago, Cliff Ton said:

That makes me feel old because I can remember when it was new......and in an appropriate location.

Me too, i remember my Grandma taking me and my sister to see it when the Victoria centre first opened. It used to draw quite a crowd back then to stand and watch it on the hour.

Your comments about seeing the clock make me feel even older, I can remember taking my 2 sons to see it just after it opened. Who also insisted crawling through the through the wooden caterpillar that was also in the Centre.

• Like 1

Hadn't seen that article Stu; thank you.  I'd prefer to be called a 'Chartered Engineer' (because I am) but at least I get a mention and appear in a photo so mustn't grumble.

Despite my input since 2011, the only place you'll find my name is on the concealed electrical control panel (because I affixed a label when I made it in 2012!)

It is inaccurate to say I had a hand in shortlisting the butterfly designs - I was shown three and asked for my view (I did however concur that the winner was the best of those three).

• Like 1