Emett water clock...and other clocks

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yet another update! We've put some serious hours in this week, building the clock in Birmingham (Millennium Point - access is free if you are anywhere near but read on to understand what you might

Thank you for the kind comments, especially from those of you who have followed me on this journey. On location, I think the natural daylight is great - it is after all meant to be a sunflower, cobwe

Nope, not TT. On the matter of drinking, each day I've worked within that enclosure has been physically exhausting because of the heat and humidity - somewhere between a greenhouse and a sauna. Have

Posted Images

Jill: Sorry, my mistake.  Indeed the centre itself has changed quite a bit.

I think the plan behind moving the clock upstairs fitted with Intu's longer term objective of extending the centre to the north, revising the 'car park in the hole' area.  The clock would have ended up in the middle of a larger complex (that all hinged on doing Broad Marsh first - rather academic now).

I also think they were motivated by (a) more lucrative ways to generate income from third parties using the space in front of Boots and (b) increasing footfall to the upper north end where there are some child-oriented outlets (such as Disney and Build a Bear if they are still there) - the clock always did attract children wanting to make a wish.

DanielHST: It is difficult to speculate what is wrong without inspection/testing.  I designed and built the electrical control panel from scratch (think that was 2012 - how time flies!) so I'd like to think that is still okay although I was not to happy about the temporary storage arrangements when it was moved from Birmingham to Nottingham (it may have been in a cold humid place - not good for things like the pins of plug-in relays and a barrel cam timer with microswitches).  Previous issues have been failures of geared motors and damaged/maladjusted sensors/limit switches/barrel cam timer.  Overall it is not particularly complicated - if they would let me have a look I am confident I could diagnose the problem(s).

Intu have gone OTT with this and we might need to ask em if you can get it moved and fixed cause that would be epic

I might make a new rameu tune that sounds like the original 70s casette one

but less tinny

The here we come a wassailing tune for Xmas I might do

Or do you want the rameu all year

• 1 year later...

I have been contacted by Vic Centre today - the Emett Clock is to have some remedial work undertaken in July and I have been asked if I would like to go in when work is in progress to see what thay are up to.  I have said "Yes" though don't know yet whether I will just be an observer.

It was 17 June 2015 when it was unveiled in its current position.  How time flies!

https://www.visit-nottinghamshire.co.uk/blog/read/2015/06/the-emett-clock-returns-to-the-intu-victoria-centre-b4764

• Like 2

If you get a chance to say anything to them, tell them to put the thing back on the ground floor in its original home. I don't know anyone who thinks the current location is an improvement.

I've just had a look back through this thread...and you're right about time flying - including the occasion when I unwittingly caught a photo of The Engineer.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/8868-emett-water-clock/?page=3&tab=comments#comment-217359

• Like 1

As far as I know, if it plays at all, it will still be Rameau's Gigue en Rondeau II (unless the one-track CD has been replaced).

• 1 month later...

Having looked back to posts in this thread dated 17 June 2015 (page 10), I don't think I can refute that suggestion!

For a reminder of how the clock used to look when it was in its original and proper location, watch the first few minutes of this video. The clock appears several times in the first couple of minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

That was part of its attraction, Beekay, in addition to its musical tone.  I don't know whether it still works. I have a vague memory of it going missing for a long time many years ago while it was repaired.

After a bit of Googling I discovered that the clock (which was built by Copes) stopped working in 1972. It was restored in the mid 80’s but it states ‘the men do not move very often to preserve their working parts’. Sounds a bit like me!

I am not familiar with that clock.  I'll have to take a walk down Victoria Street when next in town to see it first-hand.  How often should the men strike the anvil?  Is it on the hour? (I read quarters somewhere).  Was the noise from that or was there also some sort of bell/chime?

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Emett water clock...and other clocks