Emett water clock...and other clocks

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yet another update! We've put some serious hours in this week, building the clock in Birmingham (Millennium Point - access is free if you are anywhere near but read on to understand what you might

Nope, not TT. On the matter of drinking, each day I've worked within that enclosure has been physically exhausting because of the heat and humidity - somewhere between a greenhouse and a sauna. Have

Thank you for the kind comments, especially from those of you who have followed me on this journey. On location, I think the natural daylight is great - it is after all meant to be a sunflower, cobwe

Posted Images

As far as I know, if it plays at all, it will still be Rameau's Gigue en Rondeau II (unless the one-track CD has been replaced).

• 1 month later...

On 4th August at 10.30 there is a talk at Beeston Methodist church by Pete Dexter about the restoration of the Emett water clock.

For Beeston U3A members AFAIK.  Is it in a newsletter?

I hear it is quite interesting.  I shall be there!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, The Engineer said:

I hear it is quite interesting.  I shall be there!

Are you Pete Dexter?

Having looked back to posts in this thread dated 17 June 2015 (page 10), I don't think I can refute that suggestion!

For a reminder of how the clock used to look when it was in its original and proper location, watch the first few minutes of this video. The clock appears several times in the first couple of minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

I never go into the centre of Nottingham these days but I do recall seeing the Lewis and Grundy clock on a building at the bottom of Victoria St. LHS at the bottom of the hill. No doubt Google street view will confirm.

Did those two figures on top of the clock ever strike the anvil, ie.did they move?

They did, whether they do know I don't know

That was part of its attraction, Beekay, in addition to its musical tone.  I don't know whether it still works. I have a vague memory of it going missing for a long time many years ago while it was repaired.

After a bit of Googling I discovered that the clock (which was built by Copes) stopped working in 1972. It was restored in the mid 80’s but it states ‘the men do not move very often to preserve their working parts’. Sounds a bit like me!

I am not familiar with that clock.  I'll have to take a walk down Victoria Street when next in town to see it first-hand.  How often should the men strike the anvil?  Is it on the hour? (I read quarters somewhere).  Was the noise from that or was there also some sort of bell/chime?

I think it did strike the quarters at one time but, as a child, I loved to see it strike the hour because both little figures struck the anvil. As I remember, it was quite a musical clock. The sound was produced by the mechanism, I would think.

Went to look today - sadly the clock was not working.  The east clockface was showing about 2:22 and the west clockface was showing about 4:05. The same times are evident on Google Streetview so I suspect it hasn't worked for quite some time.  Both chaps appear to have lost their aprons.  The casing bearing 'LEWIS & GRUNDY' appears to be wooden and looking a bit weathered.  It would be good to get a closer view but I reckon it is about 18-20 feet from the ground and Victoria Street is sloping so access would not be straightforward.

Thought your favourite 'Tread' was ''Word Games'' Red.........

Mine is ''Waxing Lyrical'' about places like the Locarno...

The clock needs some TLC.  I was told that they are doing some work on it next month.  I await to hear further.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Emett water clock...and other clocks