Before Q.M.C. & midway city .

I'm looking for the White House, Spring Close, Old Lenton where my grandfather was a lodger and my grandmother's father was head of the household according to the 1911 census.

Also in the house, and, I think, my grandmother's brother-in-law was William Wragg , a professional footballer who created Forest's first goal in the 1898 FA Cup Final which was scored by Arthur Capes.

My father, 96, thinks the house in now under the QMC but I'd appreciate any help.

David

I'm looking for the White House, Spring Close, Old Lenton where my grandfather was a lodger and my grandmother's father was head of the household according to the 1911 census.

If your ancestor's name was Hibbert, there's a family of them living on Commercial Street, which was within the Spring Close area.

Thanks for moving my post on to this thread as it has more than I'd hoped for, with the map of Old Lenton showing Spring Close and lots of photographs so I can now try to find the 'White House'.

My grandfather's name was Hibbert, a plate layer on the railway, but the family moved to Carlton where he became a coalminer before and after WW1. Maybe I should visit Commercial Street to see if there are any connections, so thanks for the information.

Maybe I should visit Commercial Street to see if there are any connections, so thanks for the information.

That will be difficult. It's buried under QMC, so unless you dig very deep.........

However, here's a photo of Commercial Street. In 1901 the name Hibbert appears at no. 18, and looking at another map I discovered that the even numbers were on the "factory" side of the road (so, not the houses where we are seeing the back gardens).

spring_3.jpg