Anyone remember.........

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is true Stephan but when I come to power I will insist, even make laws that things revert to how they were, ban all trams and re instate a proper railway system using a north to south station so

My bra yes, the change chute, no.

Does anyone remember the enclosed overbridge that went through Victoria Station? I always used to find it an atmospheric sort of place.

Putting stuff in and taking stuff out of peoples shopping trolleys in "Fine Fare" Carlton Square Shopping Centre.

That's evil! <g>

The original post referred to pennies on the train line amongst other things. My favourite spot for this was the line where the old Nottingham Suburban Railway met the Great Northern just East of Daybrook Station. The 'back line' goods trains were very heavy and made short work of flattening coins. There was however, always a scary moment when the loco hit the coin and made a loud bang as it did so.

\snip\

The fog warning caps that used to fall of the railway line with the aid of a screwdriver ( best bangers ever )

\snip\

My mate lived in Hucknall and I lived in Arnold. A group of us used to cycle up to his house for either a day out or sometimes in summer, just an evening. As we approached his street, in order to warn him of our imminent arrival, we used to place a fog detonator on the ground and drop a heavy stone or brick on it to make an explosion. He would have his bike out and be ready to go as soon as we arrived. Odd thing is - we never got caught :o))

\snip\

Standing on the metal plate over the side of the railway bridge whilst the steam train went under.

\snip\

Does anyone remember the enclosed overbridge that went through Victoria Station? I always used to find it an atmospheric sort of place.

• Upvote 1

Compo, do you recall the "footbridge from the GNR to NSR embankments" near where you mentioned re pennies on the line? something I read about one day but never saw in reality or photos, I imagine it was some walkway for staff to the signal box? walked the route for first and only time about 15 years ago, at that time GNR embankment still in place from Mansfield Rd to way beyond the junction but NSR route then all in peoples back gardens

I got busted on the train line collecting stray arrows from the archery club got took to court & fined 7/6p being that i was about 11 at the time i got to pay 3p a week that i got from returning pop bottles which turned me into a thief as the shopkeeper would take the out back in the yard & i would steal them back wait a couple of days & return them again

Ps we would collect the arrows whilst they were shooting thinking about it now seems pretty dumb

Compo, do you recall the "footbridge from the GNR to NSR embankments" near where you mentioned re pennies on the line? something I read about one day but never saw in reality or photos, I imagine it was some walkway for staff to the signal box? walked the route for first and only time about 15 years ago, at that time GNR embankment still in place from Mansfield Rd to way beyond the junction but NSR route then all in peoples back gardens

Is this the bridge you mean? If so then yes I do - I used to stand on the bridge to 'get the smoke' when I was nobbut a kid. The station master used to chase us off if he caught us though.

NSRJunctionatDaybrook.jpg

DaybrookforArnoldstation.jpg

yes all those! re the first first, six inch nails given the "railway treatment" made good throwing knives or spear heads! ( wasn't as violent as it sounds) but still a wonder someobdy didn't get killed accidentally, either making them or in our "war games"!

re the second, someone I knew got "expelled" from Peoples College eveing classes after putting a fog cap in the forge! coke etc everywhere!

Crikey 6" nails! I wouldn't have dared do that for fear of derailing the train.

No compo looks like it was before "our time", the "bridge" I referred to was to the east of the junction. From what I gather after the lines parted as in your photo the NSR one ran on an embankment (maybe the GNR one too?) and there was a walkway type of bridge across the "Y" as it were near to/from a signal box that was on the GNR route,

I have a photo of the station, looking east from 1904/5 but it isn't on that one either. The signal box stands alone. I used to know one of the signalmen in that box, name of Wifred Marriot. Died many years ago and was a friend of my grandfather. He always had a bag of Nuthall's Mintoes in his pocket and gave me one each time he saw me.

Been looking for the info but can't find it, only a bit in British Railway Journal stating "At Daybrook the junction was controlled from a wooden signal box built out of the north side of the gnr embankment", what year are you talking of re Wifred Marriot? would love to see that photo, very few of the juction and area from mansfield rd on either route

British Railway Journal Christmas No.14 1986 P188? If so then you have seen the photo already. My copy of the photograph gives a slightly clearer view of the same picture. you can see the box in the background but no sign of a bridge. Of course, that doesn't mean it didn't exist, just that it isn't on the photo - it may have been behind the box. I have another Daybrook photo somewhere that might help - not sure where it is at present though. Wilfred Marriot retired around 1960, perhaps when Mapperley (Gedling) tunnel collapsed. Towards the end he may have doubled as Station Porter, given the run down state of the back line at the time. He lived on Furlong Avenue in Arnold and still had an air raid shelter in his garden in the late 1950s.

I have emailed David Birch, author of 'Nottingham Sunburban Railway', to ask if he has any information about the bridge in question.

No compo looks like it was before "our time", the "bridge" I referred to was to the east of the junction. From what I gather after the lines parted as in your photo the NSR one ran on an embankment (maybe the GNR one too?) and there was a walkway type of bridge across the "Y" as it were near to/from a signal box that was on the GNR route,

I reckon you can see most of those elements here........

daybrook-1.jpg

Brilliant Cliff ton! can't for life of me recall where I read about such (or if someone told me?) There were 2 seperate embankments, ( I should have remembered walking along GNR one looking down at the Day Brook and pond/reservoir. Only thing different to what i assumed is the footbridge was not to the signal box? maybe it was something to do )with the signals? perhaps there for "the lamp man"? assume it was virtually a flat bridge as it did not have to go over tracks and so would not show up on long distance photos?

On the extract of the map, of the railway, what does M.P and S.P mean, it is probably very obvious but I cant seem to work it out.

I have a copy of the old Arnold and Daybrook map from the turn of the century, it is surprising how rural Arnold was it was mostly surrounded by open countryside.

On the extract of the map, of the railway, what does M.P and S.P mean, it is probably very obvious but I cant seem to work it out.

I have a copy of the old Arnold and Daybrook map from the turn of the century, it is surprising how rural Arnold was it was mostly surrounded by open countryside.

Mile Post (ie distance from the nearest main "base", presumably in this case Nottingham) and Signal Post (a signal to normal people)

MP =Mileage Post SP= Signal Post, I always thought the mileage referred to miles from London? not sure re GNR/NSR but def the case on The Midland as there is/was a "128" (miles to London) near where the former pit line now a tram route to Pheonix Park, joins The Nottm to Mansfield Line

and yes still a Day Brook, think it feeds or runs from Arnold Park Lake then as per map (I think) then alongside park on Valley Rd, past the Five Ways etc, through the former Sketchley dyeworks and into the River Leen in Billy Bacons Field off Lincoln St Old Basford

s

flat bridge as it did not have to go over tracks and so would not show up on long distance photos?

Not exactly brilliant, but the best I've found........ you can just see the Signal Box and the Suburban Line going off to the right

signal.jpg

• Upvote 1

Re Cliff Tons rail map...In 70/71 my workshop overlooked the Daybrook.There was a tunnel under the embankment where I've marked.It must have been intended for pedestrians and livestock...about twelve feet wide.Now filled and buried,if you drive round the back of B&Q there's quite a dip in the tarmac where it has settled over the top of it.

3ef3afca.jpg

With regard to the Daybrook..Early last century this pleasant looking mansion was on the site of the Five Ways pub, with a small lake in front fed by the brook.I forget who owned it,but I've got the info somewhere.

fcd53d1f.jpg

• Upvote 1

Can't say I've seen the area you talk of poohbear but I assume that the ground level of a tunnel for pedestrians or livestock would have been the same level as existing ground either side of the embankment(s)? so don't really understand what you mean by "filled and buried"? The Day Brook itself ran under the embankment as seen on the map and that would have been at a lower level of course, which would require filling in with possible subsequent settling? was it possible that in 1970/71 the brook had been diverted or piped (I do recall there was at times flooding) and the original tunnel for it was then used as official or otherwise shortcut?