The Day Brook (at Daybrook)

"Strange woman sighted standing in stream in Helicopter Park, frantically waving at houses on other side of park". Perhaps I won't, Rob, don't want to be 'taken away' !! 😳

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spike - in my Arnold boyhood days (1950s) we used to play in a stream that was, for some reason, called 'the dyke' and 'swimming' in there, among other things, were 'toe-bitters. I believe this stream

There was another thread which got sidetracked onto this topic, but I reckon it deserves a heading of its own Still there, but well hidden and sometimes underground So to understand it all in

The name Ernehale first appeared in the days of the Angles around 600AD and later appeared in the Doomsday Book. In the Eagle pub in Arnold was a framed notice on the wall proudly showing the history

Via Street View I think I've just found the pillbox on the junction of Mapperley Plains and Nottingham Road. It's behind a hedge so only the top bit is showing. That's it now, I'm not talking about it anymore.... I'm not usually as strangely obsessive as this but there was nothing on TV I wanted to watch!

• 1 month later...

Does anyone from Arnold area remember `Toe-biter` stream? Adjacent to Gedling Rd./

Sandfield Rd. junction, in the region of what is now DownhamLn./Wymondham, built I

believe by Standen in early seventies. A tiny brook ran parallel to Gedling Rd., I don`t

recall the direction of flow, it wasn`t really my patch. The brook would almost certainly

have been a tributary of the Day Brook at some point.

I do know of another spring that emerged just below `Bendigo`s Ring,` near Oxclose

Lane, I know the full route of that one,to the point where it joined the Day Brook.

Do we require permission to copy low res. images from PTP and Britain from Above

onto this site, please anyone?

• 5 years later...

hiya I work at Ernehale junior school and at the bottom of our field the ground is really boggy and wet so I am assuming the stream runs under the ground there . Anyone know what the grounds were before it was a school- farm land ? 

The brook does exist there. I remember it running alongside Arno Vale Rd. and then going underground at Arno Vale school playing fields, when I lived in Woodthorpe back in the 50's. It was open fields in the area in those days. Arno Vale Rd. finished at Somersby Rd. and most of that up to Melbury Rd. was rough and unsurfaced. Greendale Rd. leading to Sandfield Rd. was a cinder track with allotments on the right hand side. I believe the brook emerged in the back gardens of some houses at the top end of Thackery's Lane and then went underground at the roundabout. I recollect a brook on the playing field behind the Vale Hotel which came in view again in the fields at the side of Valley Rd. I think it disappeared again around the High School games field and continued underground until it fed into the Leen at Basford.

I've had a look on an old map. Yes, it was open farmland before the housing and school was built.

And the Day Brook ran (maybe still runs) along the narrow strip of land between the school buildings and Arno Vale Road - which looks like it's now a footpath/cycle track.     https://goo.gl/maps/77jx5cBaKUXWiTVW6

The Drain is the Stream / Brook on the georef'd maps below

There were at least 2 farmhouses on Sandfield Rd when I was around there, so the land may have been theirs, if not it was part of Arnold Hill farm which was roughtly where the school of the same name is.

XYOz5TU.png

I used to play down by that stream at the end of Greendale Road.

I lived on Winthorpe Road which was initially classed as a part of Hill Farm Estate, which it was built in 1958/59, before Arnold High School was opened.  In those days even Gedling Road was just a lane with fields either side. 

Crossland’s farm was on Mapperley Plains, facing the miners’ welfare. Their land ran all the way down the hill to the brook and was bounded by the railway line on the right hand side going downhill and Somersby Rd., a rough track, on the other side. There was a white house, which can still be seen from the Arno Vale Rd. extension, adjacent to the brook. The brook ran underneath the railway. As kids we used to dam the brook at the bottom of what is now Greendale Rd. but was then just a cinder track leading to Sandfield Rd. Crossland’s had cattle. Part of their land off Somersby Rd. was made into allotments and my father rented one of them. Further up Somersby and opposite Melbury Rd. was a grassy hill which was popular for flying model aeroplanes.

On 11/17/2015 at 9:21 PM, SPIKEISLAND9 said:

Does anyone from Arnold area remember `Toe-biter` stream?

Spike - in my Arnold boyhood days (1950s) we used to play in a stream that was, for some reason, called 'the dyke' and 'swimming' in there, among other things, were 'toe-bitters. I believe this stream was the Daybook, or a tributary of it. It sourced up near what is now Howbeck Road, ran under Coppice Rd., parallel with Bentwell Ave, under Bonnington Drive and eventually into the pond on Arnot Hill Park. We would spend hours playing in the area between Bonnington Drive and Coppice Rd! Before the development of the John Lewis building on Brookfield Rd and all the housing estates, we could walk from this stream along paths through fields to Mapperley Plains, cross the road and walk to Lambley through 'The Dumbles'. All that change in 50 odd years. What does the next 50 hold?

• Upvote 2
33 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

I used to play down by that stream at the end of Greendale Road.

I lived on Winthorpe Road which was initially classed as a part of Hill Farm Estate, which it was built in 1958/59, before Arnold High School was opened.  In those days even Gedling Road was just a lane with fields either side. 

Liz - the area you and Phil talk about (now Greendale) we used to call Joners (Jonahs?) In the 50s a lot of the land seemed to be abandoned allotments which we assumed were 'free orchards' and regularly helped ourselves (oursens?) to the fruit. aka - scrumping! We'd play in the aforementioned stream but were more interested in the trains and rail tracks. We'd put old pennies on the track to let the trains go over them and see how flat they went!

Incidentally, Liz, originally Rolleston Drive (Rollo) was not a through road to Coppice Rd but was Rollo at Gego Rd end and Kiddier Ave (?) at Coppice end. Might have been a couple of years older than you but did you know a Dave Stapleford who lived in the original houses on Rollo?

The one you refer to is the ‘proper’ Day Brook and is shown as such on Google Earth. The other stream that ran beside Arno Vale Rd. ran into the Day Brook behind the Vale Hotel. As Mick says I also remember putting pennies on the railway line at the bottom of Greendale Rd.

On 12/21/2011 at 10:11 AM, popothepixie said:

I grew up in Arnold on the killiisick estate and we would play in an area known locally as the hobbocks (

I know your comment was 10 years ago but you seem to remember that part of Arna as well as I do, Popo. We lived on Nursery Rd and so played more at the Bonnington Drive end of what we called 'The Dyke' venturing up to where the stream went under Coppice Rd. In summer months some older youths would dam the stream to form a swimming pool. What wonderful memories of those innocent, carefree years! Little did we know what lay ahead!

5 hours ago, Arnold Mick said:

Liz - the area you and Phil talk about (now Greendale) we used to call Joners (Jonahs?) 

Yes Mick, we always knew it as Jonah’s and also did a bit of scrumping while down there. I had a friend whose Dad had an allotment down there and also remember going on a ‘nature walk’ from Kingswell in the area.  I remember there being a very simple bridge made of a railway sleeper or similar across the stream.  I don’t think that trains were using that line when I started going down there, if they were then I never saw one, but we did dare each other to go into the tunnel. 

5 hours ago, Arnold Mick said:

Incidentally, Liz, originally Rolleston Drive (Rollo) was not a through road to Coppice Rd but was Rollo at Gego Rd end and Kiddier Ave (?) at Coppice end. Might have been a couple of years older than you but did you know a Dave Stapleford who lived in the original houses on Rollo?

When we moved to Winthorpe Road in March 1958 the road was unpaved, the weather was awful and the removal van couldn’t get up the road to our new house.  Even Rolleston Drive was a relatively unmade road, I remember the white road stone being laid before the asphalt. Kiddier Avenue was the little prefab estate at the end Rolleston Drive, corner of Coppice Road. A schoolfriend lived there and then they moved to Killisick (what an awful name eh) I used to run through Kiddier Ave every day to catch the bus to school. 
The stream down Brookfield Road, which would be the same as the one you mention on Killisick, was another place us kids played.  Some thieving sod nicked my lovely Triangle scooter from under the bushes between the stream and Rollo.  I was devastated.  
I don’t rememember the name Dave Stapleford, did he live up Coppice end, in the council houses?
I have an old schoolfriend who lived on Nursery Road, did you know the Hurst family? 

Liz - Before Rollo became a through road the Coppice Rd end was called Kiddier and had the prefabs on one side and council houses on the other. In the very last council house lived the Goulds (John Gould being a Boys Brigade friend of mine).

On Nursery Road lived John Hurst, a friend of mine in our younger days. John was in our class at Kingswell but because his birthday was after Aug/Sept he had to stay on another year in the 'top class' at Kingswell whilst we all moved on to secondary schools. John later went on to Carlton-le-Willows.

For whatever reason we called the Brookfield Rd stream 'the Dyke'! Happy days!

Been in touch with my Nursery Rd Hurst friend and it’s a different family, there were two apparently!  My friend’s brother went to Robert Mellors but a similar age to the other one.  As I went to Carlton Le Willows I couldn’t understand why I had never seen my friend’s big brother on the school bus.  
The top (Rollo) end of Brookfield road, from Allen Solly factory up to the Major Oak was, and always will be, called ‘the New Road’ by the locals! It was of course built across the fields we played on many years ago.  My brother and his little friend set light to that field one afternoon ..... don’t ask!! 
I remember cricket being played on the field between Allen Solly factory and Rolleston Drive, also gathering conkers along there.  
The only family I remember in the council houses at Coppice Road end were the Garratt’s.  ;) They lived on the corner. 

13 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Been in touch with my Nursery Rd Hurst friend and it’s a different family, there were two apparently!  My friend’s brother went to Robert Mellors but a similar age to the other one.

I was going to mention that we had 2 Hurst families on Nursery Rd but assumed, wrongly, that you would know the one I mentioned since I'm sure he went to C-le-W. However, I knew the other Hursts  with the elder one also being  John and he had a younger brother and sister. We lived at No 19 and the Hursts would have been No 24. If your friend was the sister she would more likely remember my younger sisters - Shirley, Linda and Julie Fox.

Mick, yes she suggested that you were you!  I was going to PM you later on with other names mentioned ..... I don’t think it’s fair to give names on an open forum of people who are likely to still be alive, in case they ‘google’ themselves.  My friend is the twin, her brother sadly passed away a couple of years ago, he went on to Bramcote Tech. Grammar, she went to Church Drive Girls.  
Will be back later! 

Mick, with help from an ex-Arnold friend who has a better memory than me and who spent her early life in the pre-fabs, I’ve got the geography sorted out.  Kiddier Avenue ran from Rolleston to Coppice. There was also Kiddier Walk.  Most of the pre-fabs were on Brook Avenue, my friend lived at No. 15. Another old Kingswell friend lived at 3 Kiddier Walk.  Her surname was Staples.
The fields between there and Allen Solly were called Wollater Fields. We all remember the big concrete pipe that had the brook running through it.  Diameter so big that we could walk on the walls through it, without getting our feet wet. 
Then the New Road was built, to join up with Brookfield Road,  as a back route for us lot up the hill to get into Arnold.  

What is the date given for that map Stuart?  Mick was absolutely correct about Rolleston Drive only going part way along there but my friend who lived on Brook Avenue in the early 50s didn’t think the same.  
the thing is, that plan shows roads/houses that were built in the early 1960s, after Winthorpe Road where I lived.  I’m talking Valletta, Shirley Road, Farm Road.  In fact after the few houses on Rolleston Drive that were part of the same estate, Winthorpe was the first road to be built, then all the roads off it and then the rest of the estate towards Coppice. We kids used to play around the building sites, often being reprimanded by the workers.  There were no houses at the end of our garden for a long time and as I was the only girl around lots of boys I became a good footballer and cricketer!  

Date on the bottom of the above map , latest revision 1964, published 1966.

Another map, updated to 1950, not sure what's going on with the layout on Brook Ave, seems to be artistic licence or from a plan that didn't quite happen

xk9jvir.png

This one is updated to 1944 but not published untill 1950, by which time the version above had been updated.

This earlier layout would suggest the Kiddier Rd area was going to be Council houses of the same style as built around the other sides of the cross roads, maybe changed at the last minute to prefabs.

w8H9ZQI.png

• Upvote 1