The Day Brook (at Daybrook)

12 hours ago, LizzieM said:

The fields between there and Allen Solly were called Wollater Fields. We all remember the big concrete pipe that had the brook running through it.  Diameter so big that we could walk on the walls through it, without getting our feet wet. 

Yes, Liz, I'd forgotten about about the fields being called 'Wollater' (however it's spelt!). And the concrete pipes, there were 2. One that went under Coppice Road and was quite large, straight and short....easy-peasy! But the other that went from the 'Plantation' end (why did we call it that?) under  Bonnington Drive was smaller in diameter and, after a few feet, had a bend in it, eventually running into Brookfield House gardens. Never went the full length of that one!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spike - in my Arnold boyhood days (1950s) we used to play in a stream that was, for some reason, called 'the dyke' and 'swimming' in there, among other things, were 'toe-bitters. I believe this stream

There was another thread which got sidetracked onto this topic, but I reckon it deserves a heading of its own Still there, but well hidden and sometimes underground So to understand it all in

The name Ernehale first appeared in the days of the Angles around 600AD and later appeared in the Doomsday Book. In the Eagle pub in Arnold was a framed notice on the wall proudly showing the history