Painting in General hospital

Gang,

Just been talking to an aged uncle who told me that there used to be a large oil painting, about 10ft or 12ft X 8ft (ish) hanging in the outpatients at General hospital. It depicted the Meadows before industrialization, with cows grazing in green fields. One day he noticed the painting leaning against the outside wall and thereafter he saw it no more; this would be about 1969/70ish.

Question:

Does anyone have any idea what may have happened to that painting?

its possible someone might of picked it up (Finders keepers!) & kept it... for all we know, it could be in someones loft gathering dust..

Compo

I worked at NGH leaving in the mid 70s. I have to say I am unable to recall a large painting that you describe in the OPD.

When the General finally closed many of the paintings were put up in the original main building-now home to the Health Authority.

Some were sold off and possible some found 'homes' around Nottingham.

The main archives for the old General are at the Archive library on Lenton Lane ( University of Nottingham)

You can actually search the web site to see what is deposited there.

Kind regards

Tony

Tony,

As my uncle was describing the picture it rang a bell. I'm not sure whether I saw it at the General or if it was somewhere else. I will check teh website mentioned and see if it has been recorded. Thanks.

Tony,

Can't see any reference to the painting on the website so I have emailed for information. My main question now is whether it actually existed or not.

A bit of light that I may be throwing onto the situation.

Didn't Mable Player own all the land from the Castle down to the Trent ? (IE across the Meadows) One of the wards at the old General Hospital was named after her.

That's a probability and may be worth following up. Last night I discovered that an artist by the name of Fred Appleyard (1874-1963) had two large landscape paintings hanging in the General Hospital. I was unable to find out their titles or content but I have emailed the archive to see what they know.

Not only was there a Mabel Player ward-which was a female surgical ward but also Mable Player operating theatres.

There used to be a plaque -I'm sure Mable Player was related to W G Player ( ciggys ) who had a medical ward named after him.

The 'ward' lives on at Links Bar Hospital at Gamston.

Kind regards

Tony

• Upvote 1

An interesting piece of gen Tony. It would make sense that Mabel Player could be related to W.G. Player of Ciggy fame.

Hope it wasn't a female ward as I spent 2 weeks in there after I had my Appendix out in 1973 !!

Thinking about the land down to the Trent it may have been another Dame who owned it as the Meadows was built much earlier than she'd have been around.

just heard back from the hospital archives - no-one knows anything about the painting. I have however, discovered that an artist by the name of Fred Appleyard had two large landscape oils in the General hospital. I have not been able to discover which ones.