Favorite film/music? etc..

I find that when you talk to new people.. most people always ask what music their into & what films they like best. Sooooo.... i figured id make a thread about it, gives us something to chat about n we can learn something new about each other (Unless you already know about the other forum members..)

Whats your favorite film(s) & Music?

& As a big fan of comedy myself.. Anyone got any favorite comedians?

Loads and loads and loads of music threads on here !!

Mostly it seems to be soul and motown with a bit of Ska and Reggae thrown in for good measure.

Me , as an ex DJ, I have to like most 'sounds' only thing I can't stand is "gangta rap" . All this encouraging folks to shoot cops and nig**rs this and nig**rs that, when if I was to say it Id prosecuted, is beyond me.

Favourite comics are Peter Kay , Jason Manford, Greg Davis and Rhod Gilbert at the moment, I used to like Shaun Lock and Frankie Boyle but both of tem started to get a bit too smug and (In Frankie Boyles case inparticular) exceedingly over the top .

Oooh sorry, i should really check through the forums to see if theres any clashing threads! :( My bad.

My favorite music really depends on my mood.. i listen to literally anything apart from classical & that gangster rap sh*t as you said beefsteak.. whats the point in it exactly? my guilty pleasure with music is rock music.. any type of rock, when i go rock city, i allways have to visit the 'basement'.. & I love all the older stuff too.

Favorite films for me are; This is england, Quadraphenia, Harry brown, The recent tim burton Alice in wonderland, Cruel intentions Paranormal activity 2 (the otheres were pants), Forest gump and Finding nemo :D

As for comedians, i LOVE Rod ghilbert, Russel howard, Micky flannagin, franky boyle, ricky gervais and lee evans ofcourse!!

Although, sometimes the things franky boyle says does make me cringe.. he does go abit ott with some of the things he makes jokes about.. then again so does ricky gervais, makes me laugh so much though - i recommend anyone to wach science by ricky gervais - funniest stand up iv seen in a long while!

Used to like him too, Billy Connoly that is,, (I had a load of his albums , lent them out and never saw them again !!) But he's gone off the boil for me too of late

Can't stand that tw*t Gervaise, he's a smug little git too !!

Billy connolly .. he just doesnt cut it for me im afraid :( Although, i did enjoy watching his road trip a few weeks ago on rout 66

Now I'm really going to show my age. Music mostly classical, especially Bach.. (Try it sometime you might like it. I love those deep pipe organ notes that you feel, rather than hear.) For more modern stuff Enya.

Movies. 2001 A space Odyssey. Still haven't figured out the meaning of the ending.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately he fell victim to the curse of Lenton Lane; he made a series there for Central in the early 90s and hasn't had another TV series since.

Pity because he was good and - unusual these days - unique. Who else have you ever seen who could do that Stingray thing?

Fynger.....................I might have guessed your comic preferences.....................no offence of course, Emo's unique!! Great wardrobe sense................

• 3 years later...

Can't stand that tw*t Gervaise, he's a smug little git too !!

Ditto, ditto, ditto.

Mine from a previous topic on so called comedians:

I really really, really, detest Ricky Gervais. He's described as "an English comedian, actor, director, producer, writer, and musician"

English - yes, unfortunately

Comedian - definitely not

Director - of what, the office?

Producer - who knows

Writer - I write all the time, what's that got to do with anything?

Musician - by who's standards?

I have even accused him on Twitter of not being funny and he isn't. What turned me off him in the first place is that he laughs at his own jokes with that falsetto laugh and smile. I don't like the Karl Pilkington thing either.

Rick, you are NOT FUNNY stop it!!

• 1 month later...

Just been watching Michael Portillo in America. He was at the Susquehanna River and this reminded me of the sketch in an Abbott and Costello film about the Susquehanna Hat Company.

This was Hitchcock's first film in America, and was the best thing he ever did. The whole film is here but I have put it on to demonstrate the lost art of the film Main Title. Just play the first three and a half minutes and see how it should be done, drawing you into the story before it has begun. And listen well at the superb music accompanying the images, and then there's that famous prologue. Oh, if only they made films or TV programmes like this today. Click on Full Screen to see it.

• Upvote 2

These two clips are from the Bette Davis 1939 film Dark Victory. They depict what many people regard as the greatest death scene ever portrayed on film.

Bette Davis playa a heiress who is diagnosed with a brain tumour, and realises that it is terminal. She decided to live her life the best she can and marries her doctor. She is told that the end with be signalled by her losing her vision. This happens as she is planting bulbs with her friend when she remarks that the sun has gone in yet she can still feel its warmth on the hands. She realises what this means and prepares to meet her end.

Wanting no fuss, she says goodbye to her friend and her two dogs and then goes to her bedroom. This is a superb example of the director's art and skill, accompanied by Max Steiner's heartfelt music. The ambience and stillness of the room as the maid closes the curtains and a prayer is offered is guaranteed to tug the most resistant heartstring. If it does not emotionally effect you then there is something wrong with you.

You might like to see the whole film - it is on YouTube, and watching it will not spoil a second viewing of the ending - it will still grab yer. Click on the top clip first and when it is finished click on the lower one. Don't forget the box of tissues, you'll need them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loUYiL54Wl4

#9 Loppylugs I agree with you about pipe organ music. Our son laughs when I say I love the music with "growly feet" meaning loud low notes on the pedal board. It is good when the organ makes the floor vibrate. Bach "jig fugue" is good.

I love the music used in the Lord of the Rings films, and also the sound track from Jungle Book is good fun.

• 2 weeks later...

Number 20 of this thread has the link to the Hitchcock film Rebecca. There is a scene in this film that I have always admired. It begins at the timing 1.03 and ends at 1.10. The new-bride Mrs de Winter inquisitively goes into the bedroom of the late Rebecca for the first time since she was at Manderley. As she is looking around at the fineness of its contents she is joined by Mrs Danvers, who looks after the great house. She has never got over the death of the mistress and it is obvious to the new Mrs de Winter that Danvers does not like her taking the place of Rebecca.

This is a superb performance by English actress Judith Anderson, who was born to play the part - no-one ever played it better. Franz Waxman's music sets the mood so well and the set design is a joy. Look at the scene through the eyes I have just given you.

• Upvote 1

Two film scores I like are both westerns.

The music and narrative at the beginning and end of How The West Was Won. Very heartwarming.

Secondly, the complete musical content of The Long Riders by Ry Cooder. The ultimate feel of the old west, and the feelings of the South.