Maciniak's Oil Blueing & Eastern Block Motors

Actually the Skoda of today is an half decent motor, eversince Volkswagen got hold of it a few years back, threw out the old engines, and totally restyled the whole range.

a lot of the taxi operators now run the the Skoda Octavia, which is both reliable and roomy, and in the case of the 1.9 diesel returns over 50mpg.

the interior is a bit on the 'plasticky' side, but perhaps this is a feature sought after by the taxi fraternity, whereby, they can now merely swill out those barf-ups instead previously having to shampoo and dry. ;)

• 11 years later...

Been looking up 'oil blue-ing' & it seems to be used mostly on firearms. Always remember plunging red hot gubbins into an oil bath in metalwork, lots of bubbling & smoke ensured. Never did find out why we had to do it...

• Upvote 1

Same here Colly'........bleddy Metalwork,......it was all Gubbins,smoke,Hissing and Tittivations......i could'nt be doing with it..............

• Upvote 1

Most firearms except shotguns are blued using an alkali salt solution which bubbles away at 135-155'C.

Gives a much deeper 'blue' and better protection, the biggest problem is making the original mix to go in the bath. The fumes it gives off are bloody awful, when we had the shooting centre in Arnold we did a mix under a tree next day there wasn't a leaf to be seen.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I recall doing 'bluing' in school. Mild steel and oil produced blue.

I did sme big old mortice lock keys a few years ago. They'd been rusty abd I wire brushed them, heated with blowlamp and dropped into old engine oil. They came out gloss black.

Col