Marsden's cafe and New Milton Restaurant

This shows a couple of places I don't think have been mentioned before. This is Milton Street, facing the bottom end of Trinity Square; Victoria Hotel and Station would be just off to the left

2f6nKvt.jpg

I assume the Marsden's place is connected to the grocery shop people.

• Upvote 3

Late fifties used to play snooker in the Mechanics opposite...then at 9ish call in there for a coffee every week..it closed at ten.But I'm sure I would have remembered Marsdens name...I seem to remember it was another branch of Cappocis at the time (or a very similar outfit) ....around '59

• 5 weeks later...

I think they went the same way as all of the small/medium stores.........they couldn't survive in a world full of Sainsburys and Tesco and Asda.

It's quite a list when you think about it....... Marsdens and Farrands and Lyons and Burtons and the others you remember when you were a kid

And now they all wish they hadn't sold up as they see crappy tescos opening up exactly the same medium sized shops in the suburbs...the only difference being they are open 17 hours a day and don't sell what you want...but what they decide you should have.

• 2 years later...

Great photo cliff ton,and yes it was part of the Marsdens grocery stores,i just remember it think it closed early 60s

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I was very interested to find this item about Marsden's Cafe, in Nottingham.  My Mum was a waitress at Marsden's shortly after the second world war, before she married in 1947.  Such a pity these places have gone!  I think in its day it was quite a smart cafe, where the ladies who lunch, would regularly go. My mum had quite a few stories to tell.

• 1 year later...