• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't know until my sister told me this weekend that my mother's family had Chinese blood mixed in there somewhere. I knew that my mother's maiden name was Wing but never realised  about the Chines

http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/claimaconvict/ The above is a free website. You just have to register. It lists convicts and dates of conviction. My 3X great grandfather had 3 elder brothers who were d

Thanks for the link....and yes,my lot were all in the hosiery and lace trade until the 1900s.This is my Great Great Grandfathers family in this 1861 census printout....Even the eight and eleven year o

Been doing a lot of it over the past year so I'll tell you what I've learned. Apologies if I tell you stuff you already know

All the online census websites will charge you to access them (beyond some very basic details); so first thing to decide is whether you are happy to pay for it.

The exception is FreeBMD.co.uk which is what it says. It only deals with Births, Marriages, and Deaths. You get the dates and the area the event happened, but no addresses. It's free, but it's run voluntarily by transcribers who are constantly adding to its database. So if you are searching for a particular name you may not find it simply because the transcribers haven't got round to that one yet. But I've found a lot of info from it and it's definitely worth using.

If you are a member of Nottm City Libraries you can get 1 hour a week free access (or pay £1 for additional hours) to Findmypast.co.uk which is a fully-fledged census website. It's good and I've spent hours in the library on it. Notts County Council have a similar scheme but the take you to Ancestry.co.uk which I don't like. It's the same info but the way they present it isn't as good or clear. I don't bother with them any more.

And if you just want to look at electoral registers to find who lived where, you can go to the County Archives and go through every street in Nottingham since the beginning of time. That's free too.

• Upvote 1

I've sussed out quite a bit including addresses back to 1861..got to pay out for some census stuff and birth certificates to go back further...but don't mind that.I've found out that Great Grandfather had five sons..eldest 19 and his wife was 32 at the time.So I guess he was married before.He was a hosiery worker and his eldest a frame work knitter...so poorly paid.But one of his sons set up a good business still going today, and two others became accountants...he must have grafted hard to get them so well educated in those days.

I also got lucky...the street he lived on was all demolished years ago,just 4 cottages remain...and one was his.. ;)

Ta for the info Cliff ton.

OVER THE LAST WEEK OR SO I HAVE HAD SOME GREAT HELP FROM ANN SWAYBY IN HELPING ME TRACE SOME STUFF FROM MY GRAND MOTHER . SHE SURE KNOWS WERE TO GO TRY ASKING HER BY PM IF YOU STUCK AND COMMING UP WITH DEAD ENDS LIKE I WAS. BUT ALSO PROVED MY MIND WAS NOT PLAYING TRICKS WITH ME WITH THING I REMEMBERED AND REMEMBER BEING TOLD WHEN I WAS A YOUNG CHILD THAT MY SISTERS SAID I WAS WRONG OR HAD THE WRONG PLACE. NOW I KNOW I WAS RIGHT.

Free sites I can recommed are : The Mormons on Family Search , Free Cen the sister site to BMD for census's & the GRO

( General Register Office ) for all your certificates as they only cost £9.50 each.

Hope this helps & good luck in your search.

Barbara

Really must try and find out more about the murderer in my Family but at the moment i am stuck at a dead end i have got so far but most of the records are at Matlock and i cannot afford to go out there at the moment , i have been to Derby as he was executed there i think i will go back to the research library and look in the parish records

Strange game this tracing business...Mothers side I've flown back with ease tracing ancestors...

Fathers side,a bit slower until I get birth certificates.

I've found Great Grandfather age 6 in a Nottingham street...house still standing...House number 248...but in later years in street directories number 248 has just disappeared.247...249 and the families living there clearly shown.Number 248 has been alien abducted...weird!..As I say...still there today but in late 1800s it has just totally gone off records.

Looking through many old street directories I've noticed many house numbers missing. I don't know why they bothered if they weren't going to be comprehensive.

Some streets, in for example the Whites 1885 street directory for Nottingham,just listed the odd numbers...or jumped several houses.Many streets only list half the properties...it seems the publishers had a very hit and miss approach to their street directory.

I did however find the house where my Great Grandfather lived in 1890,it gave his name and trade (Cotton Warper)and strangely gave the name of the factory where he worked.I searched that out on Peveril street and lo and behold it gave the factory name and a list of all the employees...interesting stuff when it's your ancestors.

It appears one of my relatives was in hospital during one census in 1871...top of the page was this young lady....34 year old Sarah Churchill...occupation...prostitute... :rolleyes: They didn't mince words in those days did they?

6264424d.jpg

• Upvote 2

Have traced my Dads side of the family as far back as 1654 cannot seem to get any further , but my mums side is another matter , oh well i will keep plodding on till i start tearing my hair out in frustation lol

I've got back as far as ancestors born 1791 and 1808 but can't get any further info as nothing shows up in parish records for my lot...No doubt I could find more if I visited the library but health prevents me from leaving my PC and poring through records.Shame,but I'm pleased to have found what I have without leaving my house.

Interesting to see that my Great Great Grandfather on my Fathers side in the 1861 census shows two children were born in Nottingham and then the next two born in Calais France around 1830...followed up by the youngest, again being born in Nottingham.So they must have been abroad for around 10 years...I'd love to find out what happened there.That's as far back as I've got.

• Upvote 1

One of mt lot was a farm labourer back in the 1800s he died after falling off a haystack .......... no health and safety rules in those days

I've got back as far as ancestors born 1791 and 1808 but can't get any further info as nothing shows up in parish records for my lot...No doubt I could find more if I visited the library but health prevents me from leaving my PC and poring through records.Shame,but I'm pleased to have found what I have without leaving my house.

Interesting to see that my Great Great Grandfather on my Fathers side in the 1861 census shows two children were born in Nottingham and then the next two born in Calais France around 1830...followed up by the youngest, again being born in Nottingham.So they must have been abroad for around 10 years...I'd love to find out what happened there.That's as far back as I've got.

Hi Poohbear

There is a link between Nottingham and Calais in the 19th Century. Many nottingham lacemakers went to work in Calais. Did your family have lacemaking roots?

http://www.thetravelmagazine.net/i-3478--the-calais-lace-museum-calais-but-with-frills-on.html

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the link....and yes,my lot were all in the hosiery and lace trade until the 1900s.This is my Great Great Grandfathers family in this 1861 census printout....Even the eight and eleven year olds were in the trade....poor beggars.

a3542cf0.jpg

• Upvote 2

I used ancestry.co.uk their records are very good as well as the free ones already mentioned. The trick is to find the missing records when they have been transcribed incorrectly. just the head of household and the whoile family follows suit. if one of the family has an unusual christian name then leave the surname blank but make other info exact like place and date and other family christian names, that way you get a much smaller list to go through. Don't make the surname plural like "Clements" instead of "Clement" most of the time the search engine will find nothing, that is a mistake we all make.

• Upvote 1

Tracing your ancestors is fascinating, and surprising sometimes. My dad's family must have thought their Birch name through the generations was correct, but 3xg.grandfather changed his surname from Weet to Birch when he went to live with a woman of that surname, so we all should have been Weet. Unusual spelling and not many around in those days. On my mum's side, her maiden name was Whitlam, but her father had no Whitlam blood in him, seeing how is 'father' [on his BC] died 8 yrs before he was born! He should have been named Newton. Neither parent knew any of this before their deaths.

• Upvote 1

I 'lost' my Grandfather in the late 1800s...he just disappeared from Nottingham.He was to set up a sweet business a few years later so I knew he was around somewhere.But where?....Quite by chance I found the name of a family he had boarded with in Nottingham aged 16, then they disappeared.After much searching I found their name again in St.Pancras...I wasn't sure if it was the same family or not until I saw their 'visitor'...It was amazing when I spotted his name...and his trade...'sugar boiler'...that convinced me I had the right person. He must have learned his trade there then returned to Nottingham.Where when and why is another mystery as yet.

AlbertReadFreemanofNottingham.jpgThis is the sought of document you can find in the archives or library, at first I thought he must have saved someones life or been a war hero but this kind of honour could be awarded simply for finishing indentures or service to business. note the "Town" status of Nottingham

AlbertReadFreemanofNottingham.jpg

That name rang a bell, and here is Mr Lewis Heymann

haymann.jpg

Apparently came from Germany in the 1830s; became very successful in the Lace Industry in Nottingham; lived at Bridgford Hall (which still exists); was a local councillor, and was Mayor for one year.

My family came to Nottingham from Steyning in Sussex in the early 1800s, I do have a letter written from father in Steyning to son in Nottingham dated 1833 and in it he mentions cases of "the cholera" in Nottingham. Think it was safer to drink gin than water back then.

So, surprise surprise, Aspley, Broxtowe & Beechdale was an improvement........................no offence!! !rotfl!