• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't know until my sister told me this weekend that my mother's family had Chinese blood mixed in there somewhere. I knew that my mother's maiden name was Wing but never realised  about the Chines

http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/claimaconvict/ The above is a free website. You just have to register. It lists convicts and dates of conviction. My 3X great grandfather had 3 elder brothers who were d

Thanks for the link....and yes,my lot were all in the hosiery and lace trade until the 1900s.This is my Great Great Grandfathers family in this 1861 census printout....Even the eight and eleven year o

Just by way of an appology for just coming back on to this website without a "by your leave" and begin posting again. I have never lost interest in this web site but have been doing geneology for almost the past two years, although it's an incredible journey it is very time consuming and does tend to take over your life.

I have learned a lot over that time and am always willing to share that knoledge should anyone require help although part of the fun is in the learning. If you do embark on this journey be prepaired to shed a few tears, you will discover people who achieved the highest social and academic status but also families who didn't know where there next meal was coming from.

World wide membership at any of the popular sites can be expensive but there are other ways especialy when you tire of the number crunching and want to find out more about the people you discover. For instace Australian newspaper archives are excellent, free and online. http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper and go back well into the 1800s. Happy Hunting!

• Upvote 2

smile2 coincidentally it was a genealogy issue that brought me to this site, check your PM Poohbear.

The wargraves commission site is another that might come in handy for you.

http://www.cwgc.org/

One tip I ave picked up from my old man who spends allot of time doing this is never trust Spelling on the records. Quite often there are alterations to the spelling of names.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an ancestor, Henry Peck born in 1778, my Great x 5 grandad, in radcliffe on trent, I cant find any records for his parents, its almost as if, he fell out of the sky, would love to get back any further than him on that line. Anybody give me any explinations?

• 1 year later...
Tracing your ancestors is fascinating, and surprising sometimes. My dad's family must have thought their Birch name through the generations was correct, but 3xg.grandfather changed his surname from Weet to Birch when he went to live with a woman of that surname, so we all should have been Weet. Unusual spelling and not many around in those days. On my mum's side, her maiden name was Whitlam, but her father had no Whitlam blood in him, seeing how is 'father' [on his BC] died 8 yrs before he was born! He should have been named Newton. Neither parent knew any of this before their deaths.

Sorry for bumping old topics , there is so much to catch up on here !

Katyjay I have Whitlam ancestors , a Harriot Whitlam from South Leverton married into my Denby family of North Wheatley in the early 1800s.

Were yours from the same area of North Notts ?

Another source of help is nottsgen . Sorry difficult to post links from my mobile but if you google it you can browse past messages for any names . Easy to join the message board and ask for help in searching .

Looking through many old street directories I've noticed many house numbers missing. I don't know why they bothered if they weren't going to be comprehensive.

Some streets, in for example the Whites 1885 street directory for Nottingham,just listed the odd numbers...or jumped several houses.Many streets only list half the properties...it seems the publishers had a very hit and miss approach to their street directory.

I did however find the house where my Great Grandfather lived in 1890,it gave his name and trade (Cotton Warper)and strangely gave the name of the factory where he worked.I searched that out on Peveril street and lo and behold it gave the factory name and a list of all the employees...interesting stuff when it's your ancestors.

Street directories

I have a number going back to 1860

Quite a few only listed business or "tradesmens" addresses & only a limited number of private residencies

The later directories are better for private address ( Blairs 1967 & 72 are good)

I have a "Drakes" dated 1860 & a Wrights dated 1868 which are pre borough expansion and mainly feature business's.

I also have five Kelly's directories.

DAVIDW, my grandfather's family resided in North Wheatley. He and his siblings were born there all except one, who was born in Retford.

Oh thats interesting , well if you have any Denbys or Whitlams or Binghams you can lay claim to , we might be cousins !

It can't have been that big a place in those times .

It's annoying that I didn't discover the connection to that area until after I'd moved 300 miles away from Nottingham and even though I lived in Nott'm for my first 30 years or so , I have never visited that area of North Notts .

like everyone says geneoligy can by hard work and time consuming. we have tried all sorts of things to find out what happened to daves great grand father felix gillott the last we can find of him was a bigamus marriage and a son from that marriage then he left them and compleatly disapeared we have tried finding death certificates emigration ect but got nowere he may of course have changed his name and married again its a mystary he origionaly came from tagg hill in heanor circa 1870but have been in touch with a few surviving relitives of his family and they have been unable to find out what happened to him either.

i am i hope going to the archives tommorow to do some more reserch into the clements side of my family was going to go monday but had forgotten they dont open on a monday

And there's this from the British Newspaper Archives from 1902 but you have to pay to read the full piece .

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results?basicsearch=%22felix%20gillott%22

david thanks for that did know the first bit of information eliza was piggys great grand mother who died 1972 age 99and 7 months kate was his grand mother who died when daves mum was two she was an unmarried mother so daves mum was brought up by her grandmother eliza.

the second link i have never seen but will show to piggy in a few mins

DAVIDW there were quite a few Whitlams in the northern part of Notts, my brother and I spent hours and hours researching every one trying to find links to ours, then discovered we weren't even a Whitlam in the end! That's family history for you.

david thanks for that did know the first bit of information eliza was piggys great grand mother who died 1972 age 99and 7 months kate was his grand mother who died when daves mum was two she was an unmarried mother so daves mum was brought up by her grandmother eliza.

the second link i have never seen but will show to piggy in a few mins

Sorry if you know all this Babs but its fortunate that he has an unusual name .

He is easily found on the 1911 Census living as a boarder at the home of an Emily Jones and her children .

The address is Queens Square , looks like Chirk ? in the district of Oswestry , Shropshire .

There is a slight discrepancy with his age as it says , aged 38 but his birthplace is given as Heanor Derbys and his occupation is Coal Miner .

On Freebmd there is a marriage in June quarter 1913 to a Sarah Richardson at Whitchurch , Shropshire .

thanks david not found him in 1911 cencus because at the time we research this side of the family it was not available, think sarah richardson was the bigamus marriage as there was never a devorce as eliza could never find him for the devorce to become absolute.

she had a son by him and then he deserted her and from then on no one was able to find him.

well dave and i went to archives today spent nearly four hours and kept comming to dead endsdecided ti look at 1911 cencus at my dads family clements found him his mum and dad my grand mother was always know as lizzie so thought her name was eliabeth well that bit was corect

full name elizabeth amelia clements great i thought shod be easy to go back a cople of cencus from here and find her parents and any siblings thought my dad said her name was rowland or rowlands and she came from stafford shire cencus had confirmed the stafordshire bit but when dave on the compuer he just kept comming up with dead ends.

kath my grand mother brother jack also born several years after her father had died but still tookthe henshow name but of courseno one including him ever knew who his real father was.

My great grandmother went on to have 5 more children after her husband died, but we did manage to figure out who the father really was, she married him years later. She gave all these children her deceased husband's name, even though their real father wasn't married and could have married her at any time. I would love to bring both my great grandmothers back on both sides of the family, and ask them a lot of questions!

...and ask them a lot of questions!

LOL - sounds like somebody has some 'splainin to do!

Yeah, and my great grandmother on my mum's side, had 5 children before she got married, but I don't think my great grandfather was the dad to any of them. She went on to have 7 more with him.[1 was my grandmother] 4 of which died in a 6 week period, all small and all of diptheria. I can't imagine going through that.

the horrors of loosing one was bad enough to to lose several children must have been hell but in them times a common ocurance due to living conditions lack of medication perhaps one of the resons they had so many children

Babs, I think that Elizabeth A Rowland has been wrongly transcribed as Elizabeth M on the 1891 Census

Looks like the family are living at 57 Gaol Road, Stafford ,underneath it says County Stores .

Looks like it was next door to the Red Lion Inn if thats easier to locate it on old photos etc.

ROWLAND, William L Head Married M 47 1844 Fruiter & Innkeeper
London, Middlesex
ROWLAND, Mary Wife Married F 43 1848
Penkridge, Staffordshire
ROWLAND, Hannah M Daughter Single F 22 1869
Stafford, Staffordshire
ROWLAND, William F Son Single M 20 1871 Fruiters Assistant
Stafford, Staffordshire
ROWLAND, Alfred L Son Single M 18 1873 Bakers Assistant
Stafford, Staffordshire
ROWLAND, Harry Son Single M 16 1875 Butchers Assistant
Stafford, Staffordshire