Yeah, and my great grandmother on my mum's side, had 5 children before she got married, but I don't think my great grandfather was the dad to any of them. She went on to have 7 more with him.[1 was my grandmother] 4 of which died in a 6 week period, all small and all of diptheria. I can't imagine going through that.

My mother's mother was one of thirteen mother's father one of six My mother is the youngest of Six(born 1929)

I don't know much about my father's side though.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I didn't know until my sister told me this weekend that my mother's family had Chinese blood mixed in there somewhere. I knew that my mother's maiden name was Wing but never realised  about the Chines

http://www.hawkesbury.net.au/claimaconvict/ The above is a free website. You just have to register. It lists convicts and dates of conviction. My 3X great grandfather had 3 elder brothers who were d

Thanks for the link....and yes,my lot were all in the hosiery and lace trade until the 1900s.This is my Great Great Grandfathers family in this 1861 census printout....Even the eight and eleven year o

Babs if you think that may be them above , here are the same family in 1881,

I don't know why but they were really difficult to find .

Williams age is a couple of years different but everything else seems to match apart

from a mistake with Alices age in the 1891 census above , looks like she should have been aged 9 not 19 as given .

1881 Census : Address: 47, Castle Street, Castle Church

ROWLAND, William L Head Married M 35 1846 Fruiterer
Marylebone, Middlesex

ROWLAND, Mary Wife Married F 33 1848
Penkridge, Staffordshire

ROWLAND, Hannah Daughter Single F 12 1869 Scholar
Castle Town, Staffordshire

ROWLAND, William F Son Single M 10 1871 Scholar

ROWLAND, Alfred Son Single M 8 1873 Scholar

ROWLAND, Har Son Single M 6 1875 Scholar

ROWLAND, George Son Single M 4 1877 Scholar

ROWLAND, John Son Single M 2 1879

ROWLAND, Alice Daughter Single F 0 1881

Piece: 2688
Folio: 21
Page: 33
Registration District: Stafford
Civil Parish: Castle Church
Municipal Borough:
Address: 47, Castle Street, Castle Church
County: Staffordshire

thanks david i will follow this up but not sure if this right family dad always said they lived on a farm i do know he had an aunt called alice but my grandfather had a sister called alice too but grandma could have had a sister alice too acording to 1911 cencus the first my dad was on grandma born utoxiter staffs if thats the same as on your cencus search you could have the wright family. and seem to remember my dad saying he was named george after both his grandads and henry after his dad

OK Babs , scrub all that before , sorry I didn't pick up on the Uttoxeter clue !

Perhaps this is them but can't pick up on the Henry clue .

Starting with Elizabeths father James working as an apprentice blacksmith on a farm .

He then marries Betsy Nield at Uttoxeter .

Daughter , Elizabeth born 1887 Uttoxeter .

She is called Elizabeth on 1891 Census but on 1901 Census she is called Lizzie which is why maybe you couldn't find her .

Wife Betsy (nee Nield ) dies 1900 .

On 1911 Census widower James Rowland is shown as a boarder at 284 Carlton Road .

A James Rowland dies Dec qtr 1948 age 72

Details:

1881 Census
RUSHTON, John Head Married M 42 1839 Blacksmith & Farmer Of 12 Acres
Tole Cheakley, Staffordshire VIEW
RUSHTON, Catherine Wife Married F 44 1837
Hoar Cross Yoxall, Staffordshire VIEW
RUSHTON, Edward J Son Single M 9 1872 Scholar
Tatenill, Staffordshire VIEW
HULSE, Fanny Sister In Law Single F 54 1827
Yoxall, Staffordshire VIEW
GROVES, Thomas Servant Single M 18 1863 Farm Serv (Indoor)
Kings Bromley, Staffordshire

ROWLAND, James Apprentice Single M 16 1865 Blacksmiths (Apprentice)
born Burton on Trent, Staffordshire

Piece: 2751
Folio: 64
Page: 3
Registration District: Uttoxeter
Civil Parish: Newborough
Municipal Borough:
Address: Hoar Cross Hcd, Newborough
County: Staffordshire

Marriage James Rowland to Betsy Nield Dec Qtr 1885 Uttoxeter

1891 Census

39 Malt Spill Lane St.Marys Nottingham

James Rowland 30 Blacksmith Born Burton On Trent
Betsy Rowland 25 born Uttoxeter
Alice Rowland 4 born Uttoxeter
Elizabeth 3 born Uttoxeter
Mary Louise 11mths born Derby

Wife, Betsy Rowland died Dec qtr 1900 age 35

1901 CENSUS
5 taylors Yard parish of St.John Baptist ,Nottingham
James Rowland 40 Blacksmith Burton On Trent
Alice 14 Daughter Lace Hand Uttoxeter
Lizzie 13 Daughter Uttoxeter
Lucy 6 Daughter Nottingham

1911 Census

284 CARLTON ROAD

John Draper age 24 Head Vanman , Lace Bleacher Born York St
Florence Draper 27 Lace Dresser bornVassal Street
Emma Greensmith 60 Mother Widow Carrington
Chas Allen Brother 20 Butcher

James Rowland boarder Blacksmith age 50 Born Burton On Trent

James Rowland (probably) died dec qtr 1948 age 72

thanks david.

i think this is more likely the one gradma was always know as lizzie and i know her father died in nottingham as he buried in carlton cemetary along with my dads sister his dad and a baby boy caled john who i think was dads nephew . i know one of my dads aunt alice had a son bernard who was just a few days younger than dad so i know think it could be this aunt alice as i have been unable to find bernard becuase i did not know his full name but remember meeting him a few times in his later life becauce he lived ainsly estate derectly behind my aunt mable dads only other sister.

thanks david.

i think this is more likely the one gradma was always know as lizzie and i know her father died in nottingham as he buried in carlton cemetary along with my dads sister his dad and a baby boy caled john who i think was dads nephew . i know one of my dads aunt alice had a son bernard who was just a few days younger than dad so i know think it could be this aunt alice as i have been unable to find bernard becuase i did not know his full name but remember meeting him a few times in his later life becauce he lived ainsly estate derectly behind my aunt mable dads only other sister.

Does the name Wesseldine mean anything ? Theres a marriage for a John Wesseldine and Alice Rowland March Qtr 1911 .

On Freebmd there are the following births to father with surname Wesseldine and mother with maiden name Rowland (can't see a Bernard) :

Rhoda born 1911 Basford

James born 1913 Mansfield (named after Alices father ?)

John born 1923 Nott'm

hi david . thanks again the name dose not mean anything to me but as i said bernard could have been the son of my grandfathers sister alice clements too, he would have been born end september early october 1908 as my dad born 21st sep 1908 he always said he was born 1 colwick rd nottingham and then moved to sneinton hermitage laterbut looking at the 1911 cencus he lived age 2 with his parents at moathill lane wich was between popham st was and still is were narrow marsh and were broard marsh bus station now is just about were the tram now goes over. makes me wonder now if he was born there and later moved to colwick rd

the alice you talked about could well be grandmas sister alice grandma died late 50s when i was about 7 or posible 8 years old she was the only grand parent i knew and although i remember her i would not say i know much about her the only real aunt we had was auntie mable who i used to go and see sometimes.my mum never had any brothers and sisters and dad had two sisters one of whoom was mable the other died in maperley hostpital when quite young either fell or jumped from roof i presume sume kind of flat roof and not even sure of her real name one sister sez ireen one eileen but have never known for sure. only know she ended up in maperley after the death of her young son john

Babs , shame we didn't quiz our parents about all these things and make sure they wrote the names down for us .

I did try and go through some photos with my Mum and then wrote names on the back of those pics she could remember .

Then after she died , we found another load of photos and I haven't a clue who some of them are .

• 1 year later...

Can anyone advise me please? I want to research the folk living near me in 1911 as part of marking WW1. What is the best way (and cheapest!) of finding out who lived in a parish? It seems quite expensive to do it through on line sites though some may be cheaper than others.

Any ideas?

Don't think there is a cheap way though you could look out for a free trial on Ancestry and do as much as you can during that . Not with them now but you used to have to give your credit card details before you got the free trial .

I'm with Find Your Past because its the cheapest way of getting access to the old newspaper archives together with census data but I use a 6 monthly subscription as you would be amazed how quickly you eat up individual credits whilst searching .

• Upvote 1

Can anyone advise me please? I want to research the folk living near me in 1911 as part of marking WW1. What is the best way (and cheapest!) of finding out who lived in a parish? It seems quite expensive to do it through on line sites though some may be cheaper than others.

Any ideas?

Depending on where you live (and if you are a member) Nottingham Libraries give an amount of free time on various family history sites. Nottm City give one free hour a week on Findmypast - and you can pay a small amount for extra hours. Notts County Council give one free hour on ancestry.com and you can pay for extras.

You could also visit the Archives on Wilford Road to dig around at no cost in Electoral/Parish Registers.

• Upvote 1

Be warned, an hour spent in the archives rapidly turns into many more.

When I used to work just over the other side of the canal, I thought I'd spend my lunch hours doing some research. Some days, I was there far longer than I should have been - one day, that hour turned into four without me realising.

:)

• Upvote 1

Just turn up. You might have to ask the staff to explain the layout and catalogue system of everything, because a lot of it isn't like a normal "library". If you just stand and look at the shelves it probably won't make much sense to you.

Genealogy must be fascinating to get into but it's not everyone who has the time or knowledge to get involved in it. If someone wanted to find their family history, is it possible to get someone else to do it for them and would it be really expensive?

Genealogy must be fascinating to get into but it's not everyone who has the time or knowledge to get involved in it. If someone wanted to find their family history, is it possible to get someone else to do it for them and would it be really expensive?

We have our own visiting expert on family history..........Ann Swabey. I've had advice from her on the subject, and I think others have as well.

• 3 months later...

I must look into the family history on my mothers side. Her dad, Walter Whitby, died C1920, when she was a child and nothing certain is known about him other than he lived at 137 Beech Ave. and was a baker. The area is now Forest Fields I believe. Streetview shows a small factory at that address.

Any advice re the best search engines will be gratefully received.

This will provide a helluva lot of information. Start with a free trial, because you eventually have to pay for full access to everything. http://www.findmypast.co.uk/

Or go here which is free, but not complete. It's entirely voluntary and constantly being updated. http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

The only death for a Walter Whitby in Nottingham that I can see was in 1933 . Says he was born 1887 . Sure Walter wasn't a middle name ?

Can't see any Walter Whitby on the 1911 Census .

There is one on the 1901 Census though.

This one born 1885. He is living at 14 Manvers St aged 16 , occupation milk seller with his sister Maria Whitby aged 13 and a younger (half sibling?) called Edwin Draycott.

Also there , is his mother who has surname of Draycott (so 2nd marriage)......ring any bells ?