• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Still miss driving home for xmas and listening to this........drove home from all over the UK.....But this year i'm waiting for my sons Flying home for Christmas.....one from Central Africa another fr

One tradition we always observed when I was a child was carol singing. My sister, a couple of her friends and myself, chose a night around a week before Christmas to go round several local roads and s

Being brought up in a north Notts mining village we only had one major Christmas present every second year. It was my brothers turn in the other year. I can only remember one summer holiday at Skeggy,

A few weeks yet but it will not stop nottstagia members from posting our Christmas Song's a little bit early than we normaly do..

Here's an oldie

I saw mummy kissing Santa Claus.

• 2 weeks later...

One tradition we always observed when I was a child was carol singing. My sister, a couple of her friends and myself, chose a night around a week before Christmas to go round several local roads and sing carols outside people's houses. Any donations were sent to a children's charity and we always received a thankyou letter in the new year. We always did quite well.

I loved it.  My sister would have been around 12 when we first began and I was five. We took no hymn books with us as we knew all the words by heart. It was dark and cold and, to me, felt like a big adventure being out at night, although it would, in reality have been no later than 8pm. My sister and her friends all sang in the choir at school, so we sounded quite tuneful.

A day or so after the carol singing, my mother would take me to Woolworths to purchase Christmas cards for family and friends. Then it was Christmas. Because I was so young and enjoyed it all so much, it seemed an eternity before it came round again.

These days, it starts in August...and I'm no longer interested!

• Like 5

Round here the young farmers have a Santa’s tractor procession around the villages. The trouble is that farmers like to outdo each other with the size of their tractors so they take up most of the road, damage the verges and block the drainage. If they only drove little grey Fergies like mine.

Being brought up in a north Notts mining village we only had one major Christmas present every second year. It was my brothers turn in the other year. I can only remember one summer holiday at Skeggy, we had to make do with day trips, I especially remember the pit trips on the train to an east coast seaside town. Having said that we were loved, always well clothed even if it did take my mums divi from the CO-OP to help buy our school uniforms. Food was always plentiful and good, veggies often came from grandad's allotment and with dad being a miner we were never cold as we always had plenty of coal.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2