Express Buildings Upper parliament Street

You are probably right about it being the Odeon and not the Elite - memory not what it used to be <g>

I too remember this paper; my father used to take it up into the 60s.

Didn't half annoy the neighbours, ............................ It was theirs he used to take !!............................I'll get my coat !

whilst on the subject of cinemas (even though not necessarily in the right place) what was the name of the cinema in Bulwell where KFC is now. My memory is dreadful.

• 1 year later...

It's now a night club by the way. "Gate crasher" I did a couple of DJing spots for them in Ibiza in 1997 and got paid the princely sum of 200,000 pesatas (Around a thousand pounds) for about two hourst !!

I was asked to do more but my boss didn't take to kindly to it and threatenend me with the sack if I did it again . (Two slots a week for a thousand pounds with Gate crasher, or 7 days a week , no days off , up to 12 hours a day for 150 quid a week (all found) in the pub. No brainer really, I stayed at the pub !!!!!!!!!!!!! (Fool)

I was just starting to see SWMBO seriously by then, and the talks about settling in Ibiza for good had come up !

At the time I found a 4 bed roomed villa (2 double en suite, two single) with its own swimming pool and double garage and very large frontage with a small orchard of about 1/4 acre , all for £24,000 ! (Then came the massive price boom over there and it was suddenly worth around 1/2 a million !

I do somethimes wonder if I made the right move, you know things like would we have had the same great kids? What would I be doing now ? Cause there ain't that many 50+ year old DJ's still 'avin it large. (With the exeption of a certain one of our members!!)

I did work it out that had I took the offer and bought the house too that I could have lived very well and paid off the mortgage in about 5 years as long as the work came in all season. And that Gatecrasher or the llikes weren't, much to my shagrin , just 'fly by night's' as a lot of the party organizers were at the time . The main stumbling block being that Ibiza is only open for 7 months. the other 5 you are busy spending your hard earned to keep you sane as there is nothing else to do except stay in and play on your 'playstation'

Ah well , we'll never know , but at least I'm happy and have two great kids (And I've paid off my mortgage !

Extra special feeling when you make the final payment on the Mortgage......................like the weight has been taken from your shoulders, I'm far less likely to accept being 'messed about' by my bosses these days, although SWMBO says we should now re-direct the money saved to help our sons get on the property ladder, I say let them work for it!!

They'll get it all eventually anyway, unless we sell out to the bank & blow the lot!!

• 6 years later...

Interesting to see what was behind it all.  The P.H. at the top is the Three Crowns; Market Street on the right. The Palace of Varieties is what eventually became the Scala cinema (and other names). Auction Rooms is approximately what became the entrance to the cinema.

r9N7c1m.jpg