Gedling & Netherfield?

Just wondering if anyone has any photos of old gedling & netherfield? especially the gedling pits as we used to sneak up there as kids.. We found the tunnel too.. but it was too spooky down there so we never went back - to anyone whos walked down to the tunnel - how spooky does it look!?? my goodness..

• 1 month later...

Now that I have re-learned how to do photos.

We were talking about hodgkinson street recently. Here's how it looked in 1974. The red painted house is #15 where I grew up. Looks quite different on Goggle earth these days.

scan0056.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looks VERY different these days, possibley looked better then than it does now.. Thanks for sharing! If you have anymore - post em up! :)

Gonna get a pic of some streets in netherfield for you lot, then you can see how much it's changed :) it's my aim to do by monday.... Now neighbours are gonna think iv lost the plot just casually taking pics of streets! Oh well :)

Re. that old tunnel. If I remember rightly there is some video of it on Youtube. I believe part of it collapsed in the 60s and they did not re-open it. Lot of junk tossed down there too. Wouldn't go in there if you paid me.

Look forward to the pics. What you take today will be very valuable 50 years from now too.

Its one spooky tunnel, just walking to it gave me the heeby geebys. Unexplainable noises came from it too - footsteps & the sound of a hard hat maybe hitting a wall & echoing through-out. A friend of mine was brave enough to wander on down till he got to all the rubble that was tossed down there, was so much nothing or no one could get past so we have no idea where these noises where coming from - all we knew was that they were in the tunnel and getting closer to us... so we wasted no time in running off & to the safety of our homes lol!

& yup, seeings so much in nottingham is being changed, rebuilt, given a face lift or being nocked down - i made a NYE resolution that i would get as many pictures of places in nottingham that i visit on a regular basis & put them aside so when my child or children get older, they can see what it used to be like when i was young.. Also, id like to get some pictures of where my daughter is currently growing up. Not the best of areas anymore, no & people do get slated for living in netherfield because its apparently a dump.. But is it bad that im happy here? im so close to all the shops & my street and surrounded streets still have that community spirit!

Pixie

I wished I'd had your forethought back when I got my first SLR Camera (1978) of even earlier when I had

110 camera.

I guarantee your house is built better than some of the modern houses.

When were they built? Probably around the turn of 20th Century?

Pixie

I wished I'd had your forethought back when I got my first SLR Camera (1978) of even earlier when I had

110 camera.

I guarantee your house is built better than some of the modern houses.

When were they built? Probably around the turn of 20th Century?

Apparently these terrace houses were built in the late 1800's, iv had quite a few problems with the house but their getting sorted out & its all almost done. I personally like it round here, im a 5 min walk from all shops near by. we may not have front gardens & the houses may not look 'fancy' but their better built than alot of houses that are chucked up within 5 minutes these days...dont get me wrong, id love to move out into a house instead of a terrace with a bigger garden, a front garden and a better layout than this crazy one this house has - but that adds to the charector of it i think & as this is my first house.. youv got to start somewhere!

If we are looking at Netherfield in the past - even 30 years ago - you can't avoid mentioning the railway locations, the large engine shed and the massive wagon marshalling yard. It's all disappeared now, under the Colwick Loop Road and the Victoria Retail Park.

So I've messed around by putting lines on an old photo to show where the railway used to be, relative to the new roads - approximately. The retail park is where all the sidings were, and the engine sheds are now houses and industrial units. I've also referenced Emerys Road and Chandos Street to give a point of reference if anyone can't work it out.

yard3.jpg

Amazingly, one bit of that photo has survived. There's a purple arrow pointing to two small buildings.....they are still there - the two white pointed roofs on here http://maps.google.c...,153.57,,0,1.56

• Upvote 1

So hard to believe that is all just about gone now. it all seemed so permanent when one was a kid. Just about the only certainty is change it seems. Rarely for the better. Enough philosophy for one day. :-)

• Upvote 1

Haha wow, the buildings that survived are the social club. Im going to be thinking that everytime i half a walk past that place now! I take it the large concrete looking patch next to it is now obviously the site of morrisons and the petrol station, how strange to think there was a row of houses were the carpark now is!

Am i the only one who finds it difficalt to think of netherfield looking like the recent pic? really amazes me - ah im so easy to please.

Ah , the "Brasso" as we used to call it (British Railways Social Club , or something like !!) Spent a couple of my adolesence evenings in there, 30 odd years ago !

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone tell me where Mapperley Tunnel actually is? We do geocaching, and we went to gedling pit the other day and husband did a cache called 'extreme 2' which was a tunnel, but he says this is not the one he went down when he looked at the pics. The one he went down was more of a drainage tunnel than a railway tunnel apparently. The reason I ask is because he took 2 VERY spooky photos whilst down there. One had a large orb in and one had a mist around a figure. I'd like to know where Mapperley tunnel is so I can go down it with him... can't get down the one he went down as theres a large slope to get into it and our dog wouldnt make it back up.... just very curious!