Upstairs landline..

You can tell im a women, always asking for help on all this technical stuff! (Sorry guys & Girls!!) Iv asked the OH if he knew how to do it.. & a few other people but they told me to ring virgin!

Im thinking about putting a landline phone upstairs, with the awkward layout of this house.. when the phone rings you have to run from the bedroom, accross the landing, down the stairs & then run through a dinning room and finally into the living room.. by then, the phone stopped ringing while your still near enough brekkin yah neck running down the apples and pears!!

Anyone know how i could get a landline upstairs without ringing virgin to install it, the guy who did my install refused to put in a new box in the dinning room for me and i had no choice but to have it in the living room so i assume theyll charge me for the install and the rental of another line, Any leads or anything i can get to do this myself??

a simple plug in "2 from 1" adaptor that goes into the wall socket will give you an extra socket, then it's just a matter of readily available "extension lead" with a "male" connector one end, a "female" the other (or 2 or more one into the other) you can see these on ebay, if local to "the valve shop" opposite radford rd police station they will have in stock, or a wilko's etc, Know nothing of virgin but BT say a simple plug in filter needed on every phone, but I have no pc problems not using one on extra phone, just had look on ebay, adaptor 99p 100ft extension lead £2.50 both post free! (shorter ones available similar price)

Twin set cordless phones last for hours with out being recharged. Simply plug in to a 'leccy socket and 'Robert is your fathers brother'. (They're relatively inexpensive too)

I wired up our last house ,and my mums in Nott'm, with cable and sockets in all the main rooms, it's quite easy to do , but it cost nearly as much to do as it did to buy the cordless phones we've got here.

Also I encountered a problem at my mum's after a few years, where I had ran the cable into her bedroom it was getting crushed under the carpet whenever she closed her door, causing a short curcuit , (Took me ages to suss it out for her !!) Whoever her provider were at the time didn't want to know as it wasn't an extension they had fitted (Fair enough) even fairer was that they actually gave me a hint as to what to look for !!

Try this link Pixie

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Browse/ID72/14418996/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/2%7C14418968%7CTelephones%7C14418985/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418985%7CDigital+phones+twin+handsets%7C14418996.htm

I have a cordless phone! But I leave it to charge over night and was given another cordless just after I bought one so wanted to hook it up upstairs to make life easier. I'll get one of them cables that were mentioned, thanks for the help! :)

I take your point, only until you get a power cut though! plus to get anything decent it's ££££'s

One good thing about corded phones - they can still be inuse in a power cut. Might put a corded one upstairs instead of my second cordless one...

I remember we used to go around unpluging everything at night do you still do that ?

Does the power go out a lot ?

Do you have electricity upstairs? we dont

How about hot water ?

One good thing about corded phones - they can still be inuse in a power cut. Might put a corded one upstairs instead of my second cordless one...

So can cordless !!!

I remember we used to go around unpluging everything at night do you still do that ?........................ Only the Christmas lights

Does the power go out a lot ?............................................................................................................... Not since 1973

Do you have electricity upstairs? we dont............................................................................................. And Televisions

How about hot water ?...........................................................................................................................Only down the walls when the boiler broke

• Upvote 1

So can cordless !!!

...Mine dies when the electric goes out or it gets unplugged! :(

re power cuts, our electric supply comes via overhead cable to a sub station, then to the 90 odd homes, in 9 years had 3 power cuts, one was a squirrel having it's last supper, another was winter snow/ice bringing line down, 3rd not sure, but thing is with no mains my wireless phone didn't work, hence need for landline

Get a new 'un Pixie !! Mine works fine , I can leave it out the holster (On my desk) for three or four days before it stops working.

Last power cuts we had round here was one Christmas (At least 11 years ago ) we went to the inlaws for Christmas dinner, (1ish) and ended up back at ours (Only about a mile away !) cooking every thing as it turned out it was the main line into their house that had blown the system, nice 'leccy board bloke came round to connect up the street, and 'forgot ' to mention to them that they weren't going to be back on for a day or so !!!!!

Went round for a slap up dinner (I wuz starvin) and finally got me gob on sommat around half 7 !!

We had one up here a few years back on a Monday night , I know it was a Monday as I was going to domino match , and I drove to the pub to ensure they were still 'lit up',

I'm sure I've mentioned it before ,but it was like the 'Spirit of the Blitz' never seen so many neighbours out talking to their neighbours (Folks they'd lived next door to for years but had never said a civil word to in all that time !!) I was found offering my services to all and sundry to pop down town and fetch bread , milk eggs etc !! (I kid you not ) It was so wierd, all in all it lasted a little under two hours !!

I remember my mate bought a house in Basford it had gas lights upstairs no elecricity & only had cold water with a Ascot thingy in the kitchen

We get quite a lot of powercuts here usually some car takes out a power pole.If its out any longer than a hour & i fire up a backup generator.

Ps we dont have tv upstairs either cos we are single story

Beefsteak, is it just me (and pixie) who gets what I tried to say? She said words to effect of her phone goes dead if the "base" is turned off ( or a power cut) whereas your reply seems to say buying a new phone (or replacing "tired" internal rechargable battery in handset) would cure that? My whole point was IF you only have a "walkabout" phone as I call them, ie base set cradle/charger and wireless handset is it will not work unless mains electricity is available? or am I missing something?

I actually woke up realising that no one would understand what I meant ,

I have one that still works if the power is off as the 'base station' still holds charge ("For up to 72 hours") in internal capacitors.

Got you! , have never seen such but bet they were before the rise of the mobile phone? I remember we use to call the big capacitors "cans" and they were often a dark green, we used to charge them up then short them to produce a loud crack and a flash

It was second hand from the inlaws a while ago, but it wasn't that old , (They change things rather than dust them at times !!........LOL) , I just remember that's what it said on the instructions, the box is in the loft , but I'm pretty sure it's a Panasonic.