Lancaster PM-M City of Lincoln

Talking of Lancasters, I looked out of my window this afternoon and saw this -

7388869788_23c4fe3461_d.jpg

Fortunately, I was cleaning my camera at the time and managed to get a quick shot. I think it was heading to the Arnold Carnival.

either you have one heck of an amazing camera, or its ran out of fuel! bowdown

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can't alter the names of what has been alive and is no longer with us. The dog's name was Nigger and nothing can change that.

I have attached this picture of City of Lincoln in another guise that being Mickey the Moocher another 617 sqn aircraft, the reason for this post apart from more nose art is last Friday myself and a m

All those little details that members of the public wouldn't understand. I often pass through parts of Lincolnshire where those bombers operated from. I try to imagine what it was like living around

Just to let you know, the Panton brothers at East Kirkby are going to get Just Jane flying again, not sure when but they have now got 4 new merlin engines, do you think this is a good idea to have both Lancs flying, Have been told the East Kirkby runway is just long enough for her to take off and land, would be nice to see though

Rog

I think it would be great to have another Lanc flying! Don't forget that the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum also has one that flies regularly during the summer months!

Nice to read about your Lanc Limey, I see reference to Tall Boy and Grand Slam bombs in the link, Myself and Beefsteak have driven down the runway at ex RAF Woodhall a few times where the Lancs carrying those bombs first took off from, they were stored in the bomb dump at Woodhall that is now called "Ostlers wood", in there is still the old blast pens and loading docks, I have a picture somewhere of Beefsteak standing at the side of a Grand Slam (empty of explosives), I'll post it if I can find it

Rog

Rog: I have seen the CWH Lanc flying a couple of times - and got to talk to the crew on one occasion! The sound of a single Merlin in a Spit or a Mustang is damn good, the sound of four on a Lanc taking off is totally astounding!

They really baby the CWH plane - no max performance takeoffs or maneuvers, which I can totally understand, but you have to wonder what a squadron of them, fully loaded and doing max performance, short runway takeoffs would sound like! My hat is off to the guys that crewed them!

its such a loverly sight to watch them on a summers day we have been priviledged to see the old ww 2 planes flying a few times on our joints out to the coast and last year stting in one of daves raf friends gardens in lessingham near sleaford they love to sit in the garden weather permitting plane spotting.

There's also rumours on another website that I use regularly that the Shackleton at Coventry is going back to the sky soon too !! And maybe, just maybe, sometime in the not too distant future, they are going to ship the Canadian lanc over and have all four of them at "Flying Legends" at Duxford and at RIAT. If not this year it could happen in 2014.

Same here. I've not heard any more on the subject , but I'll keep you informed if and when it's on.

It's the cost that's making it prohibitive to bring the Canadian one over at the moment, they're looking for a major sponsor to step in. (Come on 'Red Bull' get your finger out , not you Kev!)

• 3 months later...

If anyone interested, 70th anniversary of the Dams raid May 16-17, new memorial being unveiled in Woodhall Spa on one of those dates (not sure yet) it's in the same memorial garden as the original Dam memorial, sneaked a look the other day as it's all covered and surrounded by tin sheeting, Black gloss granite or marble with red lightening flashes on the sides, looks to be pyramid shaped, going to make out I'm nipping to the shops from work on the date, park in Budgeons car park across the road and hopefully get some pics

Rog

When I was a kid in Langar, A.V.Roe had an an aircraft repair factory on the airfield, I can remember once 2 Shackletons and a Lancaster, standing on the runway all revved up waiting to take off. it was a sight never to forget. especially when they took off the NOISE...................

There's a flypast over Lady Bower/Derwent dams and then over Chatsworth house on the 16th of this month at 13.00, to commemorate the raid too. It will consist of three passes from the Lanc and a couple of fly throughs by the present day 617 squadron airframes, Tornado GR4s. I shall be trying to get there on the way back from my Nottingham visit.

• 6 months later...

Conningsbyaircraft8_zpse2560db6.jpg

I have attached this picture of City of Lincoln in another guise that being Mickey the Moocher another 617 sqn aircraft, the reason for this post apart from more nose art is last Friday myself and a manager from the Lincs wildlife trust were interviewed by the BBC radio 4 crew, this is to do with the trust wanting to buy the remains of the quarry site that has just been worked out and we have moved to a new site over the road, some of the original 1943 runways are still intact and the trust want to preserve these as part of their nature reserve/aviation heritage, now back to Mickey the Moocher, also being interviewed was a gentleman from Manchester who's father was a Lancaster pilot for the 617 sqdn who flew out of RAF Woodhall Spa in,,,you guessed it Mickey the Moocher, I was shown actual photo's of his father and crew in front of this aircraft complete with the nose art of Mickey pulling a bomb trolley, I was also shown his DFC medal, this adds to another chapter of my interest in the 617 sqdn Dambusters. Just wanted to share in my excitement,sorry if I've bored anyone

Rog

• Upvote 1

Bored????!!!! No way. Tell me more. I love Lankys. I love stories about them. And I love going to RAF Coningsby.

During the summer, coming back from Ingoldmels, passing Conningsby we saw the Lancaster rise into the air from behind the buildings and it was fully in my sight as I drove through Tattersall before it banked round high over the road in front of us and returned the other way. I was buzzing.

Glad you liked the post Bilbraborn, I have attached the photo I took of the medal and photo as mentioned in the last post

DSCF3981_zpsa634df46.jpg

Rog

WoodhallSpa3_zpsa633fb63.jpg

Picture of airfield arrestor gear, this is similar to the wire arrestors that used to be on aircraft carriers, there is still three more sets on the old airfield, we donated one set to Thorpe camp Tattershall village a few years back and they have renovated it,well worth a look' I have another photo of interest of the gear or only part of it, the part where the different aircraft types are wrote on a quadrant, the levers were set to the designated aircraft and the tensions were set from that if you understand me, I will post that pic next

Rog

WoodhallSpa4_zps56d55b84.jpg

This is a picture of the quadrant, if you look closely or you can enlarge it you will be able to see the different aircraft types printed on it

Rog

All those little details that members of the public wouldn't understand.

I often pass through parts of Lincolnshire where those bombers operated from. I try to imagine what it was like living around there in the war. Hearing planes taking off knowing that very young men were going to die. Knowing that some of those poor lads were very frightened. Counting them out and counting them back. Prayers said in church. Transporter lorries with spare parts trying to negotiate the narrow country lanes. Another world. I was born less than 10 years after all these things happened. I know there are many among you who lived as children through this nightmare called WW2. Those bomber crews are my heroes. May God rest their souls.

And of course may God bless Mr Chadwick.

• Upvote 1

Why did they need arrester wires?

I should imagine so they didn't overshoot the runway with very expensive and scarce bomber planes. (Crew were probably easier to replace).

Question............. How did those guys concentrate on the job in hand knowing that while they were over Germany there were so many agencies trying to kill them in a very painful way/ I know that if I was probably going to die in the next few minutes, I wouldn't be able to think of anything else.

Arrestor wires were installed on a lot of airfields to prevent overshoot, the ones at Woodhall would have prevented the aircraft overshooting into the bomb dump from one direction and a country lane and farm from the other, one lady I spoke to last week lived in a house to one side of the runway at RAF Woodhall and she remembers looking out of the bedroom window one morning with her brother and about 10 feet away was the front gunners turret of a Lancaster, as she said another few feet and the house would have been demolished, soon after that incident they moved to another property elswhere,

Bilbraborn have you seen or heard of a "Picket Hamilton Fort" set into the airfield near to the runways?

I think RAF Woodhall along with RAF Metheringham were among the first airfield to use the top secret FIDO to get aircraft back to land in the event of fog

Rog