First job from leaving School

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I left school at 16 in1961 and went to work in the Offices at Reynolds Hucknall, my mother chose my job, my clothes and my boy/friends for me, I was sent to college to do shorthand and typing.........

First job? I remember it like yesterday down pit wit me Dad!  

Paperboy at Ingals Post Office Bestwood Estate till in 62 at 15 years old started at Bestwood pit as apprentice electrican , one week at Hucknall training centre next week at Arnold and Carlton Colleg

Posted Images

bubblewrapp was the one armed window cleaners name len whitchurch from netherfield by any chance he was our window cleaner for many years.

are you on about eugene ash he was down whitehart last nightwith roy tilson

Missed your post Stu , sorry, I think I'd have paid them to do that job at TB. !!

Depends how excited he is...................& what he can see through the windows.......... slywink

There was a gents hairdresser on Kirkwhite St called Iliffe?

Quite right,wavy dark hair if I remember,well he worked with the "one arm man' and took over from him him when he retired.As a boy in there I remember him saying to the men "anything for the weekend sir" think you know what I mean......

And don't forget across the street was Hilda's fish and chips fabulous when she had "new potato's" fried in cooking butter which she used all the time,she also travelled from Beeston everyday and later on her husband Joe helped in the shop(MY MOUTH IS WATERING)....

our one armed window cleaner len had a special hook on his belt for his bucket spongr and a cloth in the bucket his leather was tucked into his belt made a good job of cleaning the windows too.

piggy always tells people i used to work for london council as a counter wieght for london tower bridgeand then we came back to nottingham to work for city council were they used me as a template for mini islands sez thats why nottingham got so many couse i did such a good job.

Started Work at Moorgreen Pit at easter 1969, my first wage was £6.6shillings a week. 16 weeks training then i went to Babbinton colliery. I have had a few jobs over the years but i always went back to the pit untill they shut. About 25 years in all, and i miss my old mates, and iften dream about the Pit.

• 7 months later...

The first of my only two jobs was as an apprentice in the printing dept. at Boots I started 1944 with a wage of £1.4s and sixpence, my mum had the £1. and I had the 4s and sixpence. When I reached 18 I had my calling up papers for National Service. I could have obtained deferment until I was 21 but I was looking forward to going in. There were 5 apprentices of the same age, two of us went in the other three obtained deferment. I was lucky enough to get into the R.A.F. as I wasn't really interested in the army. After two years service I went back to Boots to finish my apprenticeship.

Dennis

• Upvote 1

My first job after leaving school was for the Co-op, serving petrol etc at the petrol station in Wollaton that my father had just sold them.

That lasted for only a few weeks before we moved to Bournemouth and I got my first real job as a driver at Dewhursts the butchers, driving a Commer van and delivering meat etc to their butchers shops around Bournemouth and surrounds. This was only a temporary job as we were waiting our call up to go to Oz, having been accepted some months earlier.

My first real job here in Australia, obtained within 3 weeks of arrival in 1964 at the tender age of 17?????????????????????????????? A bellboy at the Australia Hotel in Sydney (now demolished), a grand old multi storey world class hotel in its day. Not my idea of a job though and in fact was organised by my Aunt through her friends.

Lasted less than a year before I went out and found my own job!

Dewhurst the butchers down there?

I lived above Dewhursts on Alfreton Road, early 60s.

For some reason I always thought it was a Nottingham firm?

I worked on stonebridge farm when studying at college... didnt get payed for it though, was part of my course.

First proper job would be a fruit n veg stall in vic market on saturdays. Then a local pet shop... then i trained to be a preschool teacher,got my grades, never followed it through and ended up working in a local pub untill i worked my way upto bar supervisor by the age of 20, not bad eh!

Mick, re your Post #65 .....Dewhursts were big down Bournemouth as well.

Checked on Google after your post and it would appear that the Vestey Group started Dewhursts the Butchers and until it was closed down in the mid 90s, was a country wide chain of butchers stores.

Incidentally, if you believe Google, it looks as though there are moves to resurrect Dewhursts in the near future: http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/city-news/dewhurst-butchers-bringing-home-the-bacon-142662

The Vestey Group link, as well as the associated links in the article are going to make for some interesting viewing.

• 6 months later...

Hi mgread1200

just found your first job when leaving school, it brought back memories for me. My mum used to work there from 1965 plus I don't know when you worked there but her name was Ida Pickard. At the time of her working there another Ida worked there who was 80 years old.

First two are not worth mentioning wasn't there for more than a few weeks in either. Then the same year I left School I went to work for a company on Lower Parliament St "Arthur E Wootton Ltd" ladies dress makers, wonderful old family run business, his sons Mr Brian and Mr Roger, his wife Dorothy and of course Arthur himself "Mr wootton Sir". the trade name was "Dortona" made up from the names of his wife, surname and A for Arthur. Think they were Masons as I used to catch snatches of conversation with regard to blokes walking round with one trouser leg rolled up, no idea back then what they were on about. Always at christmas and holiday time he would give me an extra fiver from his wallet which was doubleing my wages. I see from google that the tradename still exists for someplace that does alterations in Nottingham.

January 1962 East Midlands Gas Board, Woodborough Road, apprentice gas fitter. Signed my indentures Sept 62, thereafter 2 nights and 1 day a week at college for 5 years. Got my papers and went to live in Buxton Derbys to climb rock and cave. Had a myriad of jobs up there from plumbing to lorry driving and quarry worker. Nothing lasted long as it got in the way of my sports.

Colin

My first job was gofer at the Nottingham Playhouse Bar/restaurant back in 1977. Officially junior asst manager, after catering course at Southfields college in Leicester. Loved the job. Met one or two actors.....gave Christopher Timothy and Carol Drinkwater (It shouldn't Happen to A Vet) a lift in my Mini to Victoria Hotel one night when their Taxi didn't turn up, and was propositioned by Garfield Morgan (Jack Regans boss in The Sweeney), and turned him down! Great memories and great experience for the 6 months I was there, before moving on to open up the Beef House as restaurant manager at the Victoria Hotel.

Before I left school I worked a paper round in the mornings(better pay than evening round) then ran deliveries for Marsdens after school on their grocers bike with the basket up front.

Then mum got me a job 2 nights a week winding cones for circular knitting machines, was in an upper floor shed, behind Baileys fruit & veg shop on Bennet road, Mapperley tops.

Think the owners name was Barry Dempster, must have impressed him as he offered me full time work in his other factory, which I declined as I wanted a trade.

Did a 6 week trial, before actually left school during the holidays, with one of my dads mates who was a plumber, but not for me, so took up an apprenticeship with CS Tagg electrical contractors, they had just moved Daybrook at Church House, from Warser Gate in the city.

Very poor pay, 3 nights a week night school, but got my C&G with distinction so went on to my 4th & 5th year tech certificate, again with distinction.

A stock cutter for J B Armstrong, Norton Street, Radford, the only problem was I finished at 5pm and my bus left Broad Marsh bus station at 5:25pm, so I had to move very quick to catch it.

Friday was better we finished at 4:30pm

Engine cleaner at Colwick Loco loved it until Beeching swung his axe and screwed it up. Then into the Navy

Did you know Pete Skelton - one time fireman at Colwick. He later got "on the staff" at Derby Technical Centre (although he still lived at Radcliffe on Trent). Great story-teller, could come out with some hilarious one-liners, and also a really caring bloke.

My first job was as a Saturday girl when I was 15, in Woolworths, Broadmarsh branch...long before the BM Centre was thought of.. I was on the garden department first, selling bulbs, and then went to ladies underwear....i earned just over a pound for the day and came out with 19/11d after National Insurance was deducted! My first port of call was C&A across the road to buy something nice to go out in that night.

After leaving William Crane school when I was 16 I worked in an office situated above its own store on Hyson Green, Midorco House. Reps from the company went house to house selling the goods on HP, they used a fleet of Minis all with a similar registration...AMK, ADK and when out in a convoy they looked pretty snazzy! I got around 2 pound 11 shillings per week initially, and after paying my board most of what was left went on buying new outfits in our store downstairs! We three office girls always sent out to the transport caff on Bentinck Road for our breakfast sandwich...toast with fried egg, bacon, sausage meat and tinned tomatoes....even now I can still just about smell those lovely sandwiches!