First job from leaving School

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I left school at 16 in1961 and went to work in the Offices at Reynolds Hucknall, my mother chose my job, my clothes and my boy/friends for me, I was sent to college to do shorthand and typing.........

First job? I remember it like yesterday down pit wit me Dad!  

Paperboy at Ingals Post Office Bestwood Estate till in 62 at 15 years old started at Bestwood pit as apprentice electrican , one week at Hucknall training centre next week at Arnold and Carlton Colleg

Posted Images

My first job was as a Saturday girl when I was 15, in Woolworths, Broadmarsh branch...long before the BM Centre was thought of..

You may have already found some of these photos, (and this is 1950s), but....

wool-2.jpg

• Upvote 1

September 1963 started as an office junior with North British and Mercantile Insurance Company who were in the first and second floor of the building on Friar Lane occupied on the ground floor by Tobys department store. The Company had been acquired by Commercial Union Assurance, and in 1965 both companies moved to new offices higher up Friar Lane.

• 3 months later...

First full time job was office junior........ I left school on the Friday and had two jobs to start on the Monday (didn't decide which one to go to until I got up Monday morning lol) It was at Hopewell engineers (nuts and bolts) at Bilborough...... :Kiss:

When I left school, I had to leave me part-time jobs at, The Grove Cinema, Tarry's papershop, John's Wood-yard, and Heasons Hardware/Furniture store.

I got a job as Van-lad goffer at Whitehead's Robin Hood Confectionery on Imperial Road, Bulwell.

The last time I went passed the dilapidated factory building was still there, but the warehousing was being used again.

Anyone remember them? Or even work there?

Robin Hood lollypops were popular.

TTFN

36248_NTC0202703_IMG_00_0000.jpg

Left ACHS and found a job at Marshall's near to the drill hall at the junction of cavendish road and Carlton hill. Paid about six pounds and this was 1962 and I was 15 years old.

After four months I was told of a job going at Luxfers in colwick which I managed to get. interesting fact that just before the war my father worked there on what was known as "the heavy gang". The boss of the heavy gang was still there when I started? I worked with two of the biggest influences in my life, Malcolm leckonby who later went into the police at Newark, and a lovely guy called Alan Sherwood who had done his national service and led me toward joining up. luxfers paid me a huge wage of fifteen pounds but they wanted their pound of flesh and so after seven months there I left to spend the next twenty four years in the Royal Marines. It was after two years in the marines that I began to realise what an opportunity I had wasted in not making use of the education that I had been given.

• 2 months later...

1st job at 15 1n 1960,van lad Midland station,7.30 to 5pm 5and half days per week,wage £4/10s,loved it still remember the drivers,Arthur Parr,Ernie Keetch,Don Brittain,Noel widdowson,Bill Howe and a German we called Gerry,lovely bloke was a prisoner of war at Wollaton and never went home,bet we couldnt call him Gerry nowadays,did job for 6 months then went to MARSDENS,

• 1 year later...

First real job C&LE Attenborough George st, Apprentice Dental Tech . I used to line the casting rings with asbestos tape before casting then would break them out of the mold the next morning & sandblast, must have ate 20lb of dust a week all for 2 pound 2/6 a week . My other duties were mash tea for 26, fetch cheese cobs, Fish & Chips, Fags & Johnnies, Sweep the floor

5 years of night school & 3 yrs day release i past the City & Guilds with Credit, Thought i was hot sh......t only to get my pink slip same week as i am now overquallified.

I realise that this is an old thread but my first job was also at Attenboroughs.I worked there from 1985-1990.They had stopped sending people to college by then so no chance of ever qualifying as a dental technician,I was a lab assistant.I didnt have to make the tea but did have to go out for food etc and clean up on top of doing a full days worth of work.

In a pencil factory spraying half a pencil, remember those crayons one colour one end, another colour the other end? well I coloured the other end by spraying on paint. The factory went long ago just like all the other hopeless British industries went, last pencil I bought was last year from Germany, cost £5 and handles like a Swiss fountain pen! Sorry for miserable input, I do appreciate you happy people. Love, The Tramp.

PS I did have about 500 other jobs and a lot were good fun!

• Upvote 2

My first job after leaving school was an apprentice motor mechanic at Hooleys Garage Derby road in 1957,Horace Enion was my mentor.We were assigned an experienced mechanic ,Horace was my bloke nice man took me under his wing so to speak taught me a lot.

Barry

• Upvote 1

Junior Library Assistant with Nottingham Public Libraries - 1960's.

I had to attend three different interviews - all with gentlemen - and told that I would be accepted for the above post on gaining five O' levels; so you can imagine that I spent Summer holidays following exams on tenterhooks!

I passed my exams and was posted to the almost new Bilborough Branch Library on Bracebridge Drive. David Bartlett was the Librarian and Miss Radclyffe, Senior Assistant; luckily another school leaver, name of Christine Hill started with me at the same time.

Every Monday, Christine and I would travel to the Central Library in town where we had to do duties in the Archive Department. A wonderful place the Central Library, full of little nooks and crannies; the main library was vast and with a highly polished wooden floor - it was so quiet in there, you literally could have heard a pin drop!

Every Thursday we had to attend the Nottingham Polytechnic - day release - to study for our First Professional Exam in Librarianship. Classes were held in the old University buildings.

Looking back I learnt so much working for Nottingham Public Libraries - Happy Days :happy:

I knew a girl who went to work at the new Bilborough Library in the 60s. her name was Joan barks and she lived in Vale Crescent South, AInsley estate for a while.

Apprentice Electrician with City Electrical. Worked on City House on the corner of Maid Marion road and friar Lane. I believe it is a hotel now.

Not the 1950's but I started on the YTS with Marlow Joinery in 1984. The yard was on Lascelles avenue in Gedling. Eric Marlow was the owner and a great fella he was. Also had to attend Bath Street collage for 6 weeks block release. Eric used to have his yard next to the blacks head during the 70's so he knew my family. After that year I went to Mile End Joinery at Colwick to do an apprenticeship in carpentry and joinery. Left in 1986. YTS wage was £25 quid a week and apprenticeship was £35 quid a week. Happy days

1955 my first job was Co-Op Meadow lane in the confectionery department only lasted nine months then went to Marshalls Conveyors I believe it was cemetary Carlton

Started Work at Moorgreen Pit at easter 1969, my first wage was £6.6shillings a week. 16 weeks training then i went to Babbinton colliery. I have had a few jobs over the years but i always went back to the pit untill they shut. About 25 years in all, and i miss my old mates, and iften dream about the Pit.

My dad started work at Moorgreen Pit in 1935 at the age of 14..........He lived at Greasley..........I knew other blokes who worked there, Alf Foster, Roger Smith and Barry Hickling.......I know Alf died and have not seen any of the other 2 for years and years....

I left school at 16 in1961 and went to work in the Offices at Reynolds Hucknall, my mother chose my job, my clothes and my boy/friends for me, I was sent to college to do shorthand and typing.........I wanted to work in the factory as a machinist and earn some good money like my friends who could always afford the nicer clothes, but I was not allowed - I started off in the Cutting Room Office, earning £3.10 shillings a week, I worked with Eileen Charlton who I liked very much (wonder where she is now) - Later I got a promotion to the top offices and worked with Pat and Iris who were the Office creeps.................... I left and went to work at Healey & Smith Solicitors in Nottingham, a job which I loved, I did all the Court work which was very interesting and rewarding, but sadly she retired and we all had to leave, I went to Cecil Godfrey Solicitors on George Street, but it was not the same, I found that job boring so I left and worked as a temp for Abacus Agency, I was sent to many places, I also worked at FMS in Nottingham for my husband's cousin, John Mabbott and afterwards GP's Surgeries......... I have also worked with my husband who was a self employed butcher, we ran a butchery/grocery business together...............I have been retired for a long time as I am almost 70 years old.........I think things have changed a lot over the years and as much as I loved going out to work, I am glad that I do not have to go out to work now..........

• Upvote 8

Blacks Head Boy, That's a blast from the past, Eric Marlow, do you know if he is still alive? Not a big firm, but did some good quality work. Wasn't it just Eric and Tony ( I think that was his name) that ran the office side and he went off to live in South Africa?

Brown Brothers Wholesalers on Huntingdon Street. It was staffed by bullies and paranoid psychopaths. The typing pool was like something out of a Nazi concentration camp. I pitied those poor girls.. but that's how thing were in those days.

I was paid £4 10s a week for 5 + 1/2 days a week. Regular stock taking overtime (including late nights and Sundays) was at no extra pay.

My mother took £3, which left me 30 bob for bus fares, lunches and occasional 10 ciggies,. I was better off with 5 bob a week spending money, while at school.

I sometimes got a lift to work in the van of an old guy that worked there. I used to offer him my bus fare.. and he ALWAYS took it. How things have changed.

• Upvote 1

Hi Robbie. I don't know if Eric is still alive as I have lived in the north west since 1986. Tony was the chap who ran the office and there was a lad called Wayne in the workshop. They were a good firm and actually tried to teach us YTS lads some skills. There were 3 of us on YTS and he kept one on at the end of the scheme.

• 2 months later...

First job was at joinery that made wooden roller doors for garages and the like. Can't remember the firms name, but it was opposite the Labour Exchange right on the corner in some sort of court yard, we were on the second floor if I remember rightly. Made tea for the lads and ran errands apart from doing other little jobs. After a couple of months I joined the Army as a band-boy, me and a mate Tony Squires, joined up at George St recruitment office.

• 2 months later...

Hello there. New member, just found the Web site yesterday.

My first job after leaving school was at Boots, Beeston. Worked in various departments both in Beeston and Nottingham (Island Street). Left December 1958 and joined the Royal Navy Feb. 1959.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ya Blondie. Alf Foster was my brothers Father in law.

I knew all the Foster family when they were my neighbours in Hucknall before they moved to Eastwood, which daughter was he married too ?.....

There was Mavis, Joy, Beverley, Diane, Sharon and Noelle - they had two sons, Paul and John.............