First job from leaving School

First job after school was trainee lab technician at Spray and Burgess, Leonard Street, Bulwell (dyers and finishers - factory since demolished). Customers would send in rolls of fabric and their idea of what colours they wanted it to be, a bit like a paint chart. In the lab we had to figure out the 'recipe' of dyes and fixatives, etc. and dye samples for their approval. To get a sample meant accessing the rolls in the warehouse and snipping a bit off. The rolls were stacked high.

Two other lads decided to initiate me by making me reach a roll on the top shelf (maybe 20-25 ft up). I was told to stand on the forks of a fork-lift while they raised it. Still couldn't reach so they said I'd have to put one foot on a shelf to get a bit higher so I did. They dropped the forks rapidly, leaving me hanging on the ends of the rolls. After a few seconds I fell and landed with my back arched across the fork-lift. They laughed but I was not amused. Amazingly I was not really injured, save some bruising but I could easily have broken my back.

The lads as I recall (name and shame) were Andy Morris (son of a fruit and veg wholesaler of Henrietta Street) and Ian Beeson (of Bulwell Hall Estate I think). It's been 41 years; I await their apologies.

On a lighter note I also had to get a water sample from the Leen every day and analyse it for acidity and hardness.

I left after three months because I always wanted to be a lumberjack engineer.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I left school at 16 in1961 and went to work in the Offices at Reynolds Hucknall, my mother chose my job, my clothes and my boy/friends for me, I was sent to college to do shorthand and typing.........

First job? I remember it like yesterday down pit wit me Dad!  

Paperboy at Ingals Post Office Bestwood Estate till in 62 at 15 years old started at Bestwood pit as apprentice electrican , one week at Hucknall training centre next week at Arnold and Carlton Colleg

Posted Images

On ‎26‎/‎02‎/‎2015 at 5:07 PM, TonyW said:

Hi ya Blondie. Alf Foster was my brothers Father in law.

Which daughter did he marry?  -  I think there 6 of them and 2 boys.........they were neighbours of ours back in the 1950's at Hucknall Notts....

I left school in 1961 and worked in a factory office - 7.45am to 5.30pm, for £3/10 a week, (approx 14/- a day) - don't know what hourly rate it was.......Stayed there because me mam said I had to do as I was told, she was in charge.......Cannot remember whether I liked it or not,  just kept going........Had a Saturday/holiday job at the Beehive Stores on the town before I left school, went Potato picking regularly before that, I needed money as I wanted all the latest teenager things and knew how to earn it............Have always had a job until I eventually retired when I was 60 - loved going out to work, but I would not like working now......

4 hours ago, Blondie said:

Which daughter did he marry?  -  I think there 6 of them and 2 boys.........they were neighbours of ours back in the 1950's at Hucknall Notts....

Hi Blondie I am no longer a member of this site but my Brother Pete married Diane, she is dead now, been dead about 3 years. She died exactly of what her Mother died of "Peggy" Brain cancer. They all took after her mother, a bit wappy or at least those i met did especially "John". Cheers Tony.

On 9/24/2016 at 6:02 PM, TonyW said:

Hi Blondie I am no longer a member of this site

??????   That is a bizarre impossibility.

You have to be a member in order to post any messages.

If you were no longer a member of the site, you wouldn't be able to post a message saying you were no longer a member of the site.

• Upvote 1

I left school (Cottesmore) in 1960 and went to work for a company called "City Electrical" as an apprentice electrician. I worked on what was known as "City House" on the corner of Friar lane and Maid Marion Way. I was back in Nottingham a couple of years ago and see that the old building is now a hotel.

My first job after school was at Boots on Station Street in the Sales Records department - started in August 1974 and left in April 1981

• 1 month later...

I'm new to this site, but I remember my first job all right. It was owned by a Fred Carr, and they made metal windows, and went into some gym equipment. Two of the guys who worked there were dedicated bullies, and made my life a misery. Ron and Phil they were called. It was in a yard close to a lace factory in Basford. In the same yard was a ramshackle laundry. Just remembered as I write, the factory was Birkins. The firm went on to bigger things I think, but I didn't hang around to find out. £2-10s a week to have the p*** taken, no thanks. Never went anywhere near engineering again.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

First job when leaving Claremont Bilateral School in 1964 was as an Engineering apprentice at the Royal Ordnance Factory in the Meadows, starting salary being £2.12.6. Fortunately, I had a birthday two weeks later and received a rise of £1.00. I was really lording it!!!

Served at the Factory for over 37 years and was instrumental in the administration of it's closure in early 2002. Sad days.

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Paperboy at Ingals Post Office Bestwood Estate till in 62 at 15 years old started at Bestwood pit as apprentice electrican , one week at Hucknall training centre next week at Arnold and Carlton College after 9 months fed up and left . Tried a few different jobs a week at each then to Basford Dyers Ryder street Basford for a year ,then back down pit till I was 18 and I joined the Fire Brigade did 30 years it was the best choice I made.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 month later...

What a slack load of buggers. First job after leaving school, I was working before I left school. Ran a kiosk for W H Smith and Sons selling newspapers to early morning commuters on the front of the Midland Station. Used to open up before 6:00am and close by 08:30 am. This was in the mid/late '50's.

kiosk.jpg.5f5d5f5f5caee33a7d48b762b100e30f.jpg

• 10 months later...
On 28/12/2011 at 7:11 AM, mick2me said:

Before leaving school I was a butchers lad for a butcher corner of Hartley Road where it met Alfreton Rd.

Can anyone remember the butchers name?

I had to pedal a delivery bike, one of those with a big basket on the front, all the way up to Bilborough

and Aspley, in the snow!

I know the butchers shop you mean as we lived at the bottom of Bovill Street. All I remember was his huge black Jaguar with massive headlights, can't remember his name.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, radfordlad said:

I know the butchers shop you mean as we lived at the bottom of Bovill Street. All I remember was his huge black Jaguar with massive headlights, can't remember his name.

I was a delivery boy for the same butcher 1951/2. A lot of his customers were rehoused to Clifton estate and I had to make deliveries all the way there! It was a bit ridiculous though, only being able to deliver about 8 or 10 orders of a Saturday morning. A good foundation for my bike racing days though :biggrin:

• Like 1