Gasometers and Gasworks

3 hours ago, jonab said:

I remember 628 Radford Road particularly as I had a dentist there. There was a doctor's surgery on the ground floor and the dentist (Brian Lawson) on the first - he was yet another butcher dentist I have had the misfortune to be treated by.

I don't think I ever went there, but I'm certain my parents went to Lawson at that address in the early 60s (and had probably been going there for many years). 

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not sure about that CT, the land left behind after the gas holders have gone is usually badly contaminated,that site at Basford is a classic example, I think the contaminants go deep in the ground and

Take a look what could have been, from Vienna  

This is from over 12 years ago, but it seems to answer some of your questions. I hadn't realised they'd all disappeared but now you mention it........ http://news.bbc.co.u...i/uk/264609.stm

Ok, not Nottingham but spotted this interesting conversion next to the railway line just outside St Pancras Station.  I’ve no idea what’s happened to the redundant gasometers in and around Nottingham, are they still there?

2536-C671-D70-D-48-DA-9-F81-9-D0683-CA83

• Like 1

Basford have definitely gone years ago. They're the only ones that come to mind immediately.

Not sure about that CT, the land left behind after the gas holders have gone is usually badly contaminated,that site at Basford is a classic example, I think the contaminants go deep in the ground and it's difficult to find a safe disposal method for the stuff,I know what you mean though,councils seem to bend over backwards to provide accommodation for students, money is no object,same out here in Lincoln student accomadation everywhere and for a good part of the year they are empty because the universities are closed yet the councils can't provide accommodation for the homeless

Rog

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Welcome Devonboy :biggrin: Were they really gasometers?

I've often wondered about power station cooling towers? Instead of demolishing them could they possibly be converted into arenas, homes or theatres etc? The disused ones at Willington are regarded by village residents as being a land mark and part of their history. They were designed and built to last a specific time, after which the maintenance costs became prohibitive. 

• 1 year later...

There used to be a big gasometer off Triumph Rd.,  @ Ilkeston Rd.,  end. There was a smaller one next to it. You could always tell when it had been refilled as it telescoped upward. You could also tell when Sunday dinners were cooking as it shrank, leaving the access ladders sticking in the air going nowhere. Don't know if it's still there now. (Maybe converted to student accommodation. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Would you want to live in a converted gasometer?

Who mentioned a conversion?

Beekay, there certainly did, my dad worked at the Players Bonded warehouse on Triumph Road. I can remember that gasometer 

8 hours ago, West Bridgfordian said:

Gasometers. Are they still used?

It seems to be many years since I've seen one.

Used to be one just outside Lords cricket ground.

It was located near The Oval cricket ground.

Regards,Will2017

• Upvote 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Gasometers
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Gasometers and Gasworks

Obviously a time before the invention of paint rollers, I wonder if they stepped back to see if they'd missed a bit...  :Shock:

• Upvote 1