I’m as guilty as anyone about fireworks. When the children were younger a couple of friends and I used to organise a village bonfire and firework display in the field behind the pub. We provided all the fireworks and didn’t charge admission. We had a charity collection. We still used to get moans from the freeloaders that it wasn’t spectacular enough so we packed it in. None of the moaners took it on! It does seem that fireworks today is all about loud exploding rockets, which are intensely annoying and very disturbing to animals. I’m all for banning the sale of fireworks to the public and for organised public displays only. I would still like to see the Houses of Parliament blown up though!

• Like 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

How the devil have you managed to get to be the age that you are Col, I thought I was being wreckless eating three shredded wheat   Rog

You be careful Rog, next thing you'll be eating after 8 mints before 8 o'clock.

Having spent a stressful night trying to calm two terrified dogs I would cheerfully insert the fireworks into the place where the sun doesn't shine and give the big bang brigade a bonfire night to rem

I’m still very tempted to let off the marine flares which are in my shed. They don’t go bang. The trouble is some of them are over twenty years old and time expired. Who knows what might happen if I pull the tag! You can dispose of them through the coastguard but there’s none around here. If I took them to the fire station they would probably evacuate the place! I think I’ll put them in a bucket of water and chuck them in my next skip.

Fireworks have been let off around me starting before last weekend (sure they weren’t all notification of certain deliveries). Now last year It wasn’t too bad but then Kai had Wolf with him besides me. However this year was a nightmare, it was like being in the middle of a war zone (radfordred had it right about NG8). Kai was beside himself, I sat on the floor with him with the telly on to cover a bit of the noise.

Unfortunately tonight is just as bad although he is at the present asleep (his ears are twitching though) laying with his head on my feet making sure I don’t move. 
I don’t mind fireworks, but don’t understand the need for the violent explosions that seem to come with most of them. 

Thank goodness we don't have many fireworks here. The only time we hear them is New Years Eve and a bit before. The local festivities during the summer usually end up with a firework display, announced by the church bells ringing 3 times. The displays are usually very good even for the smallest hamlet and always finish with a gap of a couple of minutes silence then 3 of the loudest bangs you've ever heard. Talk about earth shattering, you can actually feel the ground shaking. Result , everyone happy and no one injured. These are the enjoyment of fireworks the others should be banned.

• Upvote 1

It now seems that fireworks are becoming the weapon of choice for the hooligan element to use against emergency workers.  This is totally unacceptable and warrants the most severe of penalties. It also highlights the question of should over the counter sales of fireworks be allowed. Financial cosiderations pale into insignificance when personal injury is possible due to misuse. I accept the sellers cannot be held responsible for misuse but that does not alter the fact that this behaviour must not be allowed to happen again.

• Like 1

Same subject year in year out and every year totally ignored by politicians. All the majority are asking is a legal limit on the explosions,and tougher laws to stop the yobbos getting hold of them.

Have your pretty lights and flashes to light the sky and promote the "Ooohs" and "Ahhhs" But for Gods sake do we need the Howitzer explosions that rattle windows and disturb humans and animals every year.

Maybe a few backhanders and knighthoods are needed to get something done.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Since we don’t have a dog getting stressed about the bangs this year it hasn’t really bothered us but the noise from fireworks is getting absolutely ridiculous.  There’s no need at all for it......... it seems that everyone is attempting to be louder than anyone else and the amount that some folk spend on a few rockets is crazy.  I saw that Costco were selling a display pack for £620 which amounted to 13 minutes of display!  I personally would rather spend the money on a few meals out ....... when we’re let out again.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 11/11/2020 at 2:58 AM, woody said:

It also highlights the question of should over the counter sales of fireworks be allowed.

Bangers , crackers and explosive fireworks were banned from sale in Australia in 1974 all other fireworks were banned from sale in 1982 with the exception of a single day in the Northern Territory and under tight controls in Tasmania. Despite this you can often see and hear them being let off locally. There is a thriving black market in illegal fireworks and strangely enough they can be bought easily on t'interweb via gumtree and facebook even though the are banned.

I'll admit to having a lot of fun with 3d cannons as a kid and tying 1d bangers to the rocket stick hoping that the bang and the rocket burst would happen at the same time.

• 1 month later...