• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was a magical shop to a young me as I loved all sports and still do.  My Dad took me in the shop frequently, mostly just to look around but I did get a hockey stick, hockey boots and running spikes

Martyn.  What did I do in the Rockies?

well I had my first four years in Canada (as many do). In Toronto Worked for various contractors as an electrician.  Then I got on with Air Canada.  Maintenance elcctrician at the airport.   Toronto is or was a nice city but even in the early 70s. We didn't have enough money to get into the housing market.  I heard Calgay, Alberta was cheaper so I took a free flight and had a look around. It was affordable so I applied for. A transfer.  They said sure, when an opening comes available.  I figured by then housing would be like Toronto. So reluctantly I quit and just moved.  

Plenty of work in Calgary and I was soon working again.  Long story but I took the masters exam'. So now I could work for myself.  So that's what I did.  Set myself up a little company and did all kinds of wiring from custom houses to swimming pool controls.  Never looked back.  Went into the ministry later, but that's another story and Mrs L is calling me for supper.  Talk to ya later.

• Like 3

I bet it would make a nice tram shed!...............runs away before Catfan catches me........;)

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Brew said:

I bet it would make a nice tram shed!...............runs away before Catfan catches me........;)

Yep, straight down Mortimer's Hole !

• Like 1

JEM amusements & we all know who owns that outfit !

I knew that place when I saw your picture, Mrs C & I walked past there last week & the loudspeakers were that loud with the doors wide open you could hear the bingo caller across the square. Cheap & tacky just like Blackpool !

• Like 1

Picture House, Long Row opened Nov 1912 and was the leading cinema in Nottingham until the Elite opened in 1930 and the Picture House closed in Jan 1939. It never converted to sound.

• Like 1
On June 8, 2018 at 1:18 PM, LizzieM said:

I’ve only been on one cruise, and that was a mini/long weekend one from Southampton to Hamburg on the Queen Mary II.  Loved it and plan to try a longer one sometime.

I’ve only ever really met one person who’s worked on a cruise ship, a very friendly and highly amusing man who, since giving up life on the ocean wave, has spent the past 20 years employed by the Queen as her personal hairdresser.  He and his boyfriend (no doubt they are now married!) were great company by the side of a pool in Miami a few years ago and invited me and my two friends to join them for dinner that evening as well.   

Lizzie, 

I have been on 2 cruises, one weekend to the Bahamas which cost less that staying at home and another to the Caribbean and Mexico for about 8 days which was a lot of aggravation and only sporadic fun. I find the all inclusive Carribbean hotels to suit me better for the shorter holiday. However, I have been looking at doing the North Atlantic one way on a Cunard ship. They are upmarket and are supposed to be good. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On June 8, 2018 at 4:39 PM, loppylugs said:

Martyn.  What did I do in the Rockies?

well I had my first four years in Canada (as many do). In Toronto Worked for various contractors as an electrician.  Then I got on with Air Canada.  Maintenance elcctrician at the airport.   Toronto is or was a nice city but even in the early 70s. We didn't have enough money to get into the housing market.  I heard Calgay, Alberta was cheaper so I took a free flight and had a look around. It was affordable so I applied for. A transfer.  They said sure, when an opening comes available.  I figured by then housing would be like Toronto. So reluctantly I quit and just moved.  

Plenty of work in Calgary and I was soon working again.  Long story but I took the masters exam'. So now I could work for myself.  So that's what I did.  Set myself up a little company and did all kinds of wiring from custom houses to swimming pool controls.  Never looked back.  Went into the ministry later, but that's another story and Mrs L is calling me for supper.  Talk to ya later.

Loppy

Thanks for the info; I bet Calagry was booming back then. A friend of my daughter’s moved out there, her husband was seconded by a Houston company.

I have been to Edmonton and to Fort McMurray but never Calgary. I always got the impression it was like Houston only  more civilized. 

HI Martyn.

Calgary was a great place to live.  I first worked for a contractor on the new airport.  I guess I always enjoyed being around airports.   They called CalgaryTexas North.  Oil and cattle were big there.  There were lots of big oil execs there and they all wanted fancy houses and a swimming pool so yours truly was kept busy pulling wire for 'em.  When you presented your bill they didn't try to nickel and dime you to death.  They just paid and went swimming.  :biggrin:

As I expected it did go like Toronto.  House prices went through the roof.  I was ok though because we bought within a couple of months of moving there.  Last time I was back it was over a million population.  It was 650K when we moved there.  It had spread out for miles and the roads were busy all day, never mind rush hour.

We moved North about forty minutes outside of Edmonton.  A nice country area near a big lake.  Edmonton was ok but I was never as fond of it as I was Calgary.

• Like 2
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, denshaw said:

I didn't know there was such a thing as leftover wine.

There's never any leftover wine in my house, nor cheese, nor vanilla yogurt, nor ice cream...and there is certainly never any leftover James Wellbeloved!

1 hour ago, Bubblewrap said:

Leftover chocolate is a rarity in our house :P

Left over chocolate what's that, in our house all i ever see are the empty wrappers.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Maid Marian Way was previously Granby Street. I remember when the AEC Renowns were at Bilborough depot in 72/73, and the city terminus for 16, 16a, 30, 32 , 62 and 74s was on Maid Marian Way, they showed Granby Street on the destination blind, as Maid Marian Way wasn't listed. Dad had to explain to the seven year old me where "Granby Street" was.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Having visited Deely Plaza, Dallas, I am 100% convinced that the shot came from the grassy knoll. The angle from the Texas School Book Depository is far too steep, given the speed the cavalcade was travelling, only an absolute crack marksman could have made the shot from there.

• Like 1
On 9/4/2018 at 2:02 AM, IAN123. said:

I didn't know that David Frost turned down £15 a week in the 1950's to play for Nottm Forest.

Yes goalkeeper,,

8 hours ago, IAN123. said:

utterly horrible what happened to JFK.

Wouldn't feel too upset about JFK. Like most in his position, he was not what he seemed, the good Catholic, squeaky clean, American boy. His father's attitude made the present ruckus around Jeremy Corbyn's alleged anti semitism look almost politically correct. What goes round, comes round...whether it came from the grassy knoll or elsewhere!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yes Jill, the whole family was allegedly corrupt, dishonest, disloyal, and they thought that they were untouchable. How wrong they were. 

Then of course there's the Teddy K unsavoury episode which resulted in the unfortunate death of Mary Jo Kopechne at Chappaquiddick. 

Grassy Knoll or library, justice was done. Just sad about Oswald being set up then murdered in order to keep him silent. 

Another episode in history that will never be fully revealed.

• Like 2

Kennedy was probably no different to many other US presidents, they're often of the same ilk. As regards the assassination, the facts have never been established and never will, so nothing but conjecture.

Irrespective of anything, anyone getting their brains blown out is very sad and shocking!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1