• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was a magical shop to a young me as I loved all sports and still do.  My Dad took me in the shop frequently, mostly just to look around but I did get a hockey stick, hockey boots and running spikes

Yes, double standards are not uncommon. I'm told the Mormons who are not permitted to smoke, drink alcohol, gamble or indulge in nefarious sexual activities, derive much of their income from their land and property ownership in, of all places,Las Vegas!  :blink:

• Like 2

Two Mormons get off a plane in Birmingham. They're followed by twelve women. A woman standing watching asks "Who are all those women?" "They're our wives Ma'am". "All those women are your wives?" she said. "They sure are Ma'am". "You ought to be bloody well hung!" she said. "We sure are Ma'am, we sure are!" :biggrin:

• Like 1

Great memories of R and T..............Uncle John (who else) took me there when i was about 8 and bought me the England kit,,couple of years later the Forest gear and continental boots.

In about 61 to 62 played for Notts Corinthians in the thursday league which was run and sponsored by R and T,,...........magic days playing against good opposition such as Forest A or B teams,,City Police,,County Police and Notts Fire Brigade,,

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It was a magical shop to a young me as I loved all sports and still do.  My Dad took me in the shop frequently, mostly just to look around but I did get a hockey stick, hockey boots and running spikes from there.  The hockey boots were pinched by a girl at school but I spotted them on her feet, told ‘Miss’, got boots back and the thief got a detention.  Haha!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Yes, Redmaynes was a truly great shop and I'm glad it's included in the new plans and not for student flats either. As a young kid I got my Dinkys from there, sports gear, BB and air guns. Firearms in a separate bit just off to the right as you went in, loved gazing at the polished wood and blue of the shotguns, although it would be a while before I got one.

Part of the City Buildings block designed by Gilbert Smith Doughty, a fine Architect who often gets overshadowed by Fothergill and Hine.

• Upvote 1

I've seen pictures of the place before and often wondered what it was, when I was a nipper I lived across the river from the site so it was pretty local to me,or it would have been if it had survived, great post Ian, Thanks

Rog

• Like 1

Redmayne & Todd was a fascinating place selling all sorts of 'sporty' things that were unobtainable elsewhere - including real fireworks - not the penny banger or one-shot roman candle type but big things in large diameter tubes and boxes.

I knew the son of the M.D. of Redmayne’s back in the 60’s. He told  the story of when Forest won the F.A cup in 1959 the cup was displayed in the shop window for a while. For security purposes the cup was removed from the window overnight and was taken home where it was placed on the sideboard. He said it was odd to have the F.A Cup sitting there whilst they had dinner!

• Upvote 2

Yes, I remember seeing the cup in their window. Brilliant !

• 2 months later...
On 6/9/2018 at 12:06 AM, IAN123. said:

HP Sauce invented in Nottm?

Verticle take off planes

The Video Recorder

Corner flags

Tarmac

Lace

Traffic lights.

1862..Notts County.

Apparently, a 5 mile stretch of Radcliffe Road was the first tarmac road in the world. The then Notts County Surveyor, Edgar Hooley, perfected the mix and registered Tarmac in 1903. He sold out in 1905 and Tarmac Ltd came into existence.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Google and Wikipedia are great assets aren't they ?

• Upvote 1

You might find one on Evening Post website because Andy Smart, (he who receives much criticism on Nottstalgia for stealing information) wrote an article a few months ago. 

• Upvote 1

Godfrey Evans  and  Dennis Compton............brilliant,, never thought they would be in a photo with Buddy Holly........................

• Like 3
1 hour ago, radfordred said:

Goofy ........ Dog or a cow ...... Discuss :Fool: 

He looks more like a dog than a cow, so why does Mickey own an actual dog then (Pluto).   Doesn't Goofy have a cow girlfriend called Clarabelle, though?  The plot thickens.....

Inbreeding or a failed scientific experiment Margie.