• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It was a magical shop to a young me as I loved all sports and still do.  My Dad took me in the shop frequently, mostly just to look around but I did get a hockey stick, hockey boots and running spikes

Thank you Cliff Ton Miduck. Never used a typewriter in mi life, they wont needed on a sewing machine or a till. I did once play on a 'Tom Thumb' model, with the kids, but that was many moons ago. I believe now looking back, Qwerty were there anawl, :biggrin:

Now I don't know if this is in the right place or not but,Sommat I didn't know and perhaps someone on here might know,

I make some jelly deserts for Mrs P, nothing special but I don't see the point in buying small pots of jelly from the supermarkets for nearly a quid each when I can buy them little blocks of jelly made by Hartleys for 50p each and get four good sized ramakin pot jelly's from them,just add boiling water,stir them up,let em cool and stick em in the fridge,hey presto,what I have been doing lately is sprucing them up a bit by adding chopped up fruit,strawberry's,blueberry's blackberry's,they come out a treat and Mrs P enjoys them,last week I chopped up some fresh pineapple and put it in the mix about six small dice sized pieces per pot, now the bit I didn't know,the jelly's wouldn't set.they stayed liquid no matter how long they were in the fridge,is there something in pineapple thats stops jelly setting? sommat like that stuff that stops blood clotting

Rog

I don't think she'd agree with you on that one,say's I'm always moaning, I'm happy when I'm moaning  slywink

Rog

• Like 1

People used to say I was "buzzing" in days gone by when I was trying to organise and get things done,now I'm older I'm more of a "low hum"

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 6 months later...

Plantfit, I've just read your post re jelly not setting with fresh pineapple present.

The explanation is here: http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=1968

As philmayfield says pineapple contains an enzyme (bromelain) which breaks down the gelatine.

The solution is to use canned pineapple where the applied heat during the canning process deactivates the enzyme. Simples ( if you have a PhD in biochemistry)

Enjoy

It wouldn't surprise me Den, as I visited Lawrence 's cottage in Dorset last year,and I read that he was a big Brough fan.